UK Vogue February 2018 : Margot Robbie & Nicole Kidman by Juergen Teller

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Jan 3, 2018.

1. amby

amby Active Member

[​IMG]

Source: @britishvogue Instagram

2. amby

amby Active Member

Both in LaCrasia gloves. Margot in Louis Vuitton and Nicole in Dior.

Styling by Edward Enninful
    Hair by Yusef Williams (Margot), Mara Roszak (Nicole)
    Makeup by Pati Dubroff (Margot), Fulvia Farolfi (Nicole)

#2 amby, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by moderator ethan.scott: Jan 3, 2018
  3. apple

apple Well-Known Member

I don't like the shot and I don't think it works for a cover. Maybe if it were only Margot.. but you have Nicole and put her behind like that? I disapprove :hardhead:
    I was hoping for models to get more covers with Edward but I understand that the awards season is coming closer.. he better not disappoint for March though.
    The font is not bad, but who had the idea to write in pink when behind there's a pink glove? I personally can't read it. "Red carpet ... ?"
    Interested in the interview with Alaia, I hope they have dedicated to him different pages with lots of photos from his past collections and new ones.
    What are they wearing by the way in the cover?
    Edit: just seen the post. Thanks amby

#3 apple, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by moderator cosmoquences: Jan 3, 2018
  4. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I don´t like it that much... I don´t like Teller for covers, as his photography is too pedestrian imo.
    I´m surprised -and delighted in the best possible way- that Nicole is in the back, barely seen... like her ego doesn´t need to be front and center. And Margot looks lovely :)

5. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Worth it for the sight of Nicole (willingly) standing in someone else's shadow, but everything else is really bad for an editor who's supposed to be the saviour of UK Vogue.

6. GinAndTonic

GinAndTonic Member

Wow, it keeps getting worse... I didn't like to see Taylor on the cover last month, but at least there was a good art direction (except for the layout) but this?! Come on... So disappointed...

7. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

For crying out loud, this isn't W, Edward!! I really want to root for him, but not with crap like this!! That background is shameful for a Vogue cover, and combined with the styling it's all downright garish!

NOTHING works here for me, two stunning actresses, but both look just unfortunate on this cover!

Kidman's PR team campaigned for this cover based on what I heard, so i guess he threw in Margot, but she can't possibly be happy with it, smh!

#7 Miss Dalloway, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Lika: Jan 3, 2018
  8. mepps

mepps Active Member

Would have been a cute cover for Ladies Home Journal.
    Terrible for any Vogue anywhere.
    Love Margot and (especially) Nicole. They deserved better than this desperate Housewives cover.

9. LastNight

LastNight Active Member

Is this real life? This is dreadful!

Margot looks gorgeous, but the background, the colours and the layout are all horrid! As much as I love Nicole, she doesn’t add anything to this cover. Edward’s first two were really strong but this is just bad. Juergen, to me, is not a mainstream magazine cover photographer. An inside shoot? Absolutely! But I don’t think his style works for the covers of a magazine like British Vogue.

I would have loved this to have been a beautiful portrait of Margot shot by Alasdair McLellan instead, that would have been fantastic.

10. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

11. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Edward is making it so hard for his supporters to defend him. This is tragic. The audacity to use Nicole Kidman as a prop. Also, I’m bothered with the fit of the gloves.

They successfuly managed to make Nicole look like a stage mom prepping her daughter backstage. What a disaster.

The layout as well is a disaster. Who on earth would use a pink font on top of a pink background? Like hello?? Someone is paid tons for this?

I agree, this is not W. I can’t believe that this is worst than Alex’s terrible covers. At least those had a touch of finality to it. This looks undone, fan made at best. It looks like a raw photo in a bad way.

Even the worst Vogue Russia cover is classier than this one.

12. lvstratus

lvstratus Active Member

I love these two, specially Nicole, but this cover is terrible, doesn’t favor any of them.
    Two great actress, beautiful and elegant deserved better, so does Vogue UK.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Well, well, well, can't imagine she'd be very happy with this! While Nicole may not demand image approval in every case, it does mean that stylists should do their jobs properly and I don't think she's ever been done dirty like this. Even when sharing a cover she always got a fair deal of coverage. This is embarrassing for someone of her stature, age aside. She looks like an afterthought, not like the one who got the ball rolling. Based on the Clements affair I'm sure she'll keep score and if you do celeb covers not having her on dial is a huge loss.

I loathe the cover, of course. It's foolish enough of Edward to approach his job with W's sensibility, but he had to make Teller walk the commercial line as well which is awkward to watch. It looks nothing like Teller's work at all. Then you get to the dishwashing gloves which feels as much as an afterthought as Nicole's inclusion.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing more celeb covers than before. He'll want this magazine to sell big, and only celebs can guarantee that.

#13 Benn98, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Jan 3, 2018
  14. SallyAlbright

SallyAlbright Well-Known Member

Margot looks gorgeous. However, as much as I love Nicole, she is wasted here and I'd rather it was only Margot. Nicole looks like a creepy, overbearing stage mom in this shot. Not flattering and not worthy of her beauty/talent.

15. frk-frost

frk-frost Active Member

You have Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie and it’s award season and this is what you end up with?! Epic fail!

16. guimon

guimon Well-Known Member

Disappointing.

17. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

Wow I saw this on Instagram and just kept scrolling because I figured it was some minor Vogue with random models. I was actually a fan of Taylor’s cover last month for the glamour factor. The only thing I’ve liked so far in Edwards tenure is the fact he has infused his covers with some glamour but now this? I suppose that now the cover at least reflects how dull Edwards Vogue has been on the inside.

On a side note, I’m judging based only on cover and edits, as I haven’t bothered flipping through an actual issue. Is the written content any good?

18. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

Awful. Based on this Juergen Teller should be shooting mugshots and not Vogue covers, and the styling :sick: those washing up gloves are inexcusable. I hate the colour scheme too - it literally looks thrown together and I can't find a single thing I like about it.

19. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

This is a disaster in my eyes. I am very bothered by the tiles not aligning with the edges of the cover, I am bothered by the lighting which makes Nicole look horrible, I am bothered by the tiny fonts, I am bothered by the gloves, I am bothered by the composition. The only barely redeeming thing is how beautiful Margot looks.

Also, am I the only one who sees the irony in the “Why we need to talk about race” tagline particularly for this cover?

20. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

My sentiments exactly! There's definitely signs of W here, which is a real disappointment because I was expectant of Edward doing something so fresh and innovative. He brought over W's Johan Svensson with him to British Vogue as creative director and neither have come up with something pioneering. This is flat and just feels like those naff covers of W all over again (from the fonts to the Hollywood theme).