UK Vogue February 2018 : Margot Robbie & Nicole Kidman by Juergen Teller

This feels so... humiliating. One of the 4 flagship Vogue (and into the 3rd issue a new, hyped EIC mind you) reprinting a cover story from W. I'm still in disbelief Conde Nast okayed this.

Buy the coffin cause print really must be dead.

Yeah, I really don't get it.
How the hell do they end up having the same cover as W?! It's outrageous!

^ Not to mention even during the war British Vogue had original content documented by the likes of Lee Miller.etc

But the balls he has to hashtag it #newvogue !!

I read somewhere that Conde Nast is pursuing a global syndicate model where titles have access to the same cover story/shoots just like Hearst - the most notable example being Bazaar and Carine's ICONS spread for the March and September issues which proliferate everywhere. We've also seen international editions of Elle sharing the same cover story i.e. Beyonce and Rihanna.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that Conde Nast is pursuing a global syndicate model where titles have access to the same cover story/shoots just like Hearst - the most notable example being Bazaar and Carine's ICONS spread for the March and September issues which proliferate everywhere. We've also seen international editions of Elle sharing the same cover story i.e. Beyonce and Rihanna.

I don't think reprinting a story - especially one as important as this Hollywood-filled fest during awards season - across many international titles is a bad idea at all, but to share a cover with another magazine who is not even Vogue is unheard of. It literally diminishes the brand and what the magazine stands for. Vogue could have definitely collaborated with W for this but getting exclusive rights to use the Margot/Nicole shot for the cover and banning W from doing the same would have been the way to go. I think this is a big mistake on their part.

i wonder if Alexandra Shulman will write another thinly veiled article about this? This is like when HB USA used that tabloid shot of Angelina Jolie - this is their Joliegate.

I just saw the W cover... I don´t know what to say, what to think...
I´m so disappointed, I thought that Edward was the second coming. Shame on him! can´t believe that the W cover is actually better than this :cry:

This is a really sad situation, I can't believe they did this; what was Edward thinking? Not only is the cover terrible but it appears on W too, AND US Elle also have Margot as a cover star!

I'm just going to pretend this never happened, hope the contents make up for it and wait for March when hopefully the magazine is back on the same track as his first two issues.

Fine for Elle, but I'd just like to point out that even British Harper's would never run a reprint cover. Never! The main one will always be their own, with more printed for those who want the Carine cover.
Think about it, when last have we actually seen a reprint on Vogue? Edwina nipped it in the but* very quickly, and it's a thing of the past for Portugal as well, yet here comes Edward... diluting British Vogue's brand with one swipe! It's embarrassing.

I doubt British Vogue paid for this shoot on their own. This will be reprinted by other Vogues as well. They're doing these Hollywood edits twice a year now. W most likely paid for it all, but the global syndicated costs will be discounted off that amount, which means ultimately they didn't pay all that much. All to save face, and not let W go under. Preposterous!

man i saw this on Instagram and i thought it's an old cover from like ages ago... everything is so bad here. dated and not flattering pics, awful layout.. how could u get Nicole & Margot together and produce this result?

Three issues in, and they're reprinting from W?

Let me guess... syndicate the content across all the Vogues - and then put the price up, because a print magazine is a "luxury product".

At this rate - and with this standard of output - I wouldn't be surprised if Conde Nast's long-term plan is to have NO readers of print, so they can shutter them all, in favour of cheaply-generated online content.

Fine for Elle, but I'd just like to point out that even British Harper's would never run a reprint cover. Never! The main one will always be their own, with more printed for those who want the Carine cover.
Think about it, when last have we actually seen a reprint on Vogue? Edwina nipped it in the but* very quickly, and it's a thing of the past for Portugal as well, yet here comes Edward... diluting British Vogue's brand with one swipe! It's embarrassing.

I doubt British Vogue paid for this shoot on their own. This will be reprinted by other Vogues as well. They're doing these Hollywood edits twice a year now. W most likely paid for it all, but the global syndicated costs will be discounted off that amount, which means ultimately they didn't pay all that much. All to save face, and not let W go under. Preposterous!
Totally, even Elle usually does their own covers, unless they have a Global deal coming up, which makes sense for them!

And don't be so sure, i could easily see Edward being ok with UK Vogue paying and sharing the shoot with W. I mean he even has the cover story reprinted, that says it all. And he said that the best part of his year is doing the Hollywood issue with Lynn. :blink: Maybe he should have stayed at the title then?

Remember when Alexandra got all the bad press because she rushed to push the Rihanna cover story up, so not to be outdone by Wintour? At least she understood what an exclusive, and getting there before others meant for British Vogue, and it's stature. Damn, 3 issues in, and he has me defending Shulman already. Something tells me his first year on the job, will be a mess!

Remember when Alexandra got all the bad press because she rushed to push the Rihanna cover story up, so not to be outdone by Wintour? At least she understood what an exclusive, and getting there before others meant for British Vogue, and it's stature. Damn, 3 issues in, and he has me defending Shulman already. Something tells me his first year on the job, will be a mess!

Yes! If he had any sense of strategy, a prerequisite for running such a big edition, he would've moved this cover to January, and Taylor to February. Taylor's hype for this album will last for a few months yet, so there was no real rush to run it in January.

What's annoys me the most is that he's not really showing what is a #NewVogue. 3 issues in and the aesthetic and total look don't feel consistent.

Yes! If he had any sense of strategy, a prerequisite for running such a big edition, he would've moved this cover to January, and Taylor to February. Taylor's hype for this album will last for a few months yet, so there was no real rush to run it in January.

He shouldn't even share his content, ever! But if he has to, that is Exactly what he should have done. I am just in shock he even reprinted the article by Lynn H. :rolleyes:

Has anyone noticed that the VOGUE watermark they are using on official content images has now BRITISH inside the O, like all other international editions? I also saw it on the W website when talking about this collaboration with Vogue UK. Was this the case before Edward? I am pretty sure I haven't seen it before. And do you guys think this might lead to it becoming the official masthead for the cover as well?

I thought the copies produced for export always carried it, but I've never seen it used on the home-grown magazines.

On a technical point, my part of the UK isn't part of Britain.

I think the only reason that explains why he’s put celebrities on all the covers so far is that he wants to be Anna’s successor. I really want to root for him but I am disappointed with this cover.

He shouldn't even share his content, ever! But if he has to, that is Exactly what he should have done. I am just in shock he even reprinted the article by Lynn H. :rolleyes:

Just heard the feature is a collaborative effort between UK Vogue, W and Vanity Fair France, meaning all three editions carried the cost. There's still the possibility that other editions may still reprint this though.

So you were right, it was probably all in order for W to have a splashy first volume. I wonder who masterminded this? :rolleyes:

Just heard the feature is a collaborative effort between UK Vogue, W and Vanity Fair France, meaning all three editions carried the cost. (...) I wonder who masterminded this? :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Is this a joke??? These big magazines no longer have money??? :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->