UK Vogue February 2019 : Emma Stone by Craig McDean

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Chalka, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Interesting that some of you think this looks like US Vogue, what?!?!!!

To me this looks like a dated cover done by Alexandra in like 2008, or something!

phungnam96, aracic, Benn98 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sensation

Sensation V.I.P.

It's not a flattering shot of her on the cover. I don't like her makeup.

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Yep, other than Emma herself, it's not very US Vogue at all. The only vague comparison I can draw between this cover and a US Vogue one would be Gaga's very first one. And there they only share the striking pastel colours.

I feel like at snap judgement I should like this. It's a McDean cover which is always a treat, the image is bold enough to demand your attention at the newsstand, her features carry makeup perfectly and the colours are pleasing, and for once LV looks tolerable in print. But despite that there's something off here. What people so very much deplore about American and British Vogue, I actually like. That is, the accessible and personable approach of the covers. That's definitely missing here, just like it was with Rihanna's September cover. Also, the digital post production team really worked overtime to make her look perfect and probably went too far with her jawline and area around her lips. In 2018/19, when you're screaming about feminism on your cover, seems a bit counterproductive.

Not keen in any shape or form to read another Emma Stone feature. The hype around her eludes me.

4. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

It's all too obvious for me. That jacket looks too big for her here as well.

Since the collapse of Interview's relevance I can't help but be disappointed whenever I look at Craig McDean's work, it'll just never be that good again. This all looks drab and passable, like the people behind it actually want print to die...

5. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

I don't like the layout and I don't like the makeup, she looks like a clown, and of course, I don't like Emma Stone she is a very overrated actress.

6. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

Glad to see Emma on the cover, who is not overrated, but the cover is bad, the styling, makeup and Emma herself... The editorial is not related to the cover at all.

7. mepps

mepps Active Member

It's a gorgeously bold shot of Emma Stone, who I love. Great colors, and I always adore the work of Craig McDean. Some of you are way over analyzing this cover. It's just a fashion magazine. It's not supposed to be that deep.:wink:

8. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

A fashion magazine who just so happens to employ a large group of people to make sure each and every miniscule component falls in place, sends out surveys on what their prospective readers would like to see on covers, swear the person on the cover to secrecy not to reveal them seeking her out for it? Yeah, I reckon we're allowed to look at the final product in in more ways than one.

9. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

I dislike the image itself, but I'm growing fond of their layout with texts on the left and image on the right. I like the steadiness about it.

aracic and Benn98 like this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I like that too. Reminds me of the Diana Vreeland era. Plus she used to be fond of beauty covers as well.

Just checked now, and it seems he may actually be veering more towards Beatrix Miller's cover direction. Down to the font.

#30 Benn98, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    YohjiAddict likes this.
  11. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I like the color combination and I think that's about it. I find the light way too harsh for Emma's pale complexion and garish makeup and the jacket looks like a bad upholstery job.

12. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

The preview pics are wayyy better than the cover. Loving the sultry 70s vibe. That LV outfit is horrendous.

13. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I would have liked that the cover was in the same lines of the editorial but still, is very eye catching.

14. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

Clearly an LV-paid cover. I do think it's not a bad shot at all. Love her hair and make-up here. But that jacquard jacket? Hideous would be an understatement.

But then again, the only looks from Nicolas' latest collection that are worth featuring in a fashion magazine were the androgynous, menswear-inspired ones. Edward should've been braver enough to feature a cover image whose vibe is similar to the editorial's. Not only is it jarring to see how irrelevant the cover is to the editorial, the latter is much more superior despite resembling Edit by Net-A-Porter a lot in terms of aesthetic.

Benn98 likes this.
  15. apple

apple Well-Known Member

I don't like the cover mostly because of the outfit and make-up, she is not wearing/handling them.
    However, if I think of that atrocious cover by Teller with Margot and Nicole for the February issue of British Vogue last year, this almost looks okay.

16. Blayne266

Blayne266 Active Member

I wonder if there will be a subscribers cover for this issue or not.

I like the cover but I don’t understand why there’s no correlation between the cover & editorial.

17. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Not the most exciting cover Edward's done but it's a downright upgrade from last month's dire cover with Dua Lipa. It's a fairly basic and straightforward cover shot of Emma Stone, yet I can appreciate those bright colours and how there's nothing major to despise.

Blayne266 likes this.
  18. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Mine arrived today and the subscribers cover is just exactly the same shot of Emma but with far less text:

[​IMG]

SCAN BY VOGUE28

Review - 212 Pages.

THE HOLLYWOOD PORTFOLIO: SHINE A LIGHT

Stars: Nicole Kidman, Carey Mulligan, Laura Harrier, Yalitza Aparicio, Rosamund Pike, Michelle Yeoh, Gemma Chan & Felicity Jones
    Photographer: Nick Knight
    Stylist: Kate Phelan
    8 Photos

THE QUIET AMERICAN
    Cover Star: Emma Stone
    Photographer: Craig McDean
    Stylist: Venetia Scott
    5 Photos

SPRING FEVER
    Models: Primrose Archer, Nora Attal, Lucan Gillespie, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke, Amandine Pouilly, Edwina Preston & Fran Summers
    Photographer: Alasdair McLellen
    Stylist: Kate Phelan
    16 Photos

A NEW DAWN
    Models: Anok Yai, Primrose Archer, Claudia Lavender, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke, Kate Moss & Stella Tennant
    Photographer: Willy Vanderperre
    Stylist: Dena Giannini
    9 Photos

+ the S/S 2019 advertising campaigns of Chanel, Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Giorgio Armani, Fendi, Chloe, Michael Kors, DSquared2 which I'll post soon!

#38 vogue28, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    guimon, June, ForTheImage and 6 others like this.
  19. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

The background is fine, but this cover is boring, she looks like statue. Her editorial looks better & it seems the content could be good.

20. HodanChloe

HodanChloe Active Member

They’re really pushing this primrose girl, huh? Who’s kid is she?

TheoG and HeatherAnne like this.