UK Vogue January 2013 : Kate Upton by Alasdair McLellan

this is actually a good cover and im excited for doutzen's editorial.

The cover is incredibly fresh, I do like that aspect of it, everything works about it and I'm surprised to see they've shot her in Alaia for the cover but she does really make it work, but I can't help but feel a bit tired of her, but I can't argue with the fact she does look gorgeous here, very classic and fresh and in no way sl*tty.

The editorials inside are consistently brilliant, I particularly love Doutzens, I thought it was risky for UK Vogue to feature nudity in her editorial which isn't what I would usually suspect UK Vogue to do but none of the less it is still very well executed.

I do love the portrait of Raf by Bailey and the article was a good read.

Oh and I did love the shots of Rosamund Pike, but without reading her article I do wonder why she's in the issue?

She's in the new Tom Cruise film, Jack Reacher which is due out on Boxing Day.

'Castaway'
Ph.: Josh Olins
Stylist: Claire Richardson
Model: Doutzen Kroes

fashiontography

Doutzen:woot: Her body and face are out of this world! I can't remember what was the last time Vogue UK produced such a strong editorial. Every single shot is so expressive and a real pleasure to watch. I wouldn't mind to see Doutzen being featured in every single fashion magazine every month of a year.

I thought it was risky for UK Vogue to feature nudity in her editorial which isn't what I would usually suspect UK Vogue to do but none of the less it is still very well executed.

When UK Vogue does nudity, no-one really notices, even though the magazine has shown models' pubic hair, from Kate Moss to Shalom Harlow to Jerry Hall.

Ah, I was never a fan of Doutzen but she's been looking spectacular since her comeback. Her story reminds me of that Missoni campaign from S/S 02 with Gisele and that crazy tan and sun bleached hair.:heart:

Nice story, probably a little random for cold January but definitely a good year opener to start making plans for Spring, and get back to the gym asap. :lol:

'Castaway'
Ph.: Josh Olins
Stylist: Claire Richardson
Model: Doutzen Kroes

fashiontography

Beautiful ed! Doutzen really is shinning here. Thanks for sharing, Nepenthes!

Kate is a breath of fresh air. There are too many models flooding the industry right now who all have a similar look. The women who made it to supermodel status during the 90s all looked markedly different from one another and that is why they were memorable.

Honestly, how many more models can the industry handle that look exactly like this?

But that's exactly the problem with this girl, she does not like like a typical supermodel, exactly because she looks like your run of the mill pretty girl. She's totally interchangeable. You just need a night out in a footballers lair and you have 20 Kate Uptons. The models of the 90s were different from each other, but they were also different than everyone else. They not not average in any way or form. How many Helena Christensen's have you seen in your life? Or Cindy's? Is this girl only selling point not having the high fashion look? Is that enough now days?
That was someone in this thread that actually hit the nail on the head in relation to this woman, there is nothing particularly wrong with her, it's just someone that i have no interest looking at. She's simply not interesting looking enough to deserve a cover of magazine.

Doutzen looks amazing, and i do not even particularly like her, her body is just insane at the moment.

Part of the reason why I like Kate is because she reminds me that it can still happen - we can have girls who are good enough for Vogue Italia but with broad enough appeal that the general public can get them. If Kate can do it, who might come along after her?

After all, there was a time when we'd never heard of Kate Moss and couldn't imagine that 'waifs' would take over fashion. There was a time when no-one wanted to hire Gisele. But suddenly things come together, and a model turns into a superstar - and while that might not be as common as it was in the days of Cindy Crawford, there are as-yet-unknown girls out there who will become megamillion household names. Kate Upton might not turn out to be one of them, but she could be the forerunner for a special girl, and I like the feeling of something different happening in the fashion industry.

But that's exactly the problem with this girl, she does not like like a typical supermodel, exactly because she looks like your run of the mill pretty girl. She's totally interchangeable. You just need a night out in a footballers lair and you have 20 Kate Uptons. The models of the 90s were different from each other, but they were also different than everyone else. They not not average in any way or form. How many Helena Christensen's have you seen in your life? Or Cindy's? Is this girl only selling point not having the high fashion look? Is that enough now days?
That was someone in this thread that actually hit the nail on the head in relation to this woman, there is nothing particularly wrong with her, it's just someone that i have no interest looking at. She's simply not interesting looking enough to deserve a cover of magazine.

Doutzen looks amazing, and i do not even particularly like her, her body is just insane at the moment.

I think it is. Well the 90's are long gone and there will never be a Supermodel-Era again, imo. They were great those days and some still are, but with all those castings like Rurals B) Next Top Model, the internet, the whole social network etc. everything changed.
so i think it's a zeitgeist thing that she's hyped that much.
she stands for "Everyone can be a Topmodel" imo and this dream sells!
and besides all the oh-so-over-the-top-high-fashion :yuk: discussion it's all business in the end and thats why she deserves to be on the cover.

from the artistic point of view every shot from doutzen's ed would have made a better cover

Ah, I was never a fan of Doutzen but she's been looking spectacular since her comeback. Her story reminds me of that Missoni campaign from S/S 02 with Gisele and that crazy tan and sun bleached hair.:heart:

Nice story, probably a little random for cold January but definitely a good year opener to start making plans for Spring, and get back to the gym asap. :lol:
One of the few moments that I forgot the season difference - Doutzen's ed was totally making sense to me, we're in the height of summer here in the south (although it's still spring :lol:). I totally agree with you by the way, both about Doutzen's comeback and the similarity with that Missoni campaign.

About the cover, the minute I saw it I knew it was by McLellan - which is a good thing in my book. Can't say I'm a fan of that pose, but the cleanness of the styling and the dark eyebrows kind of sell it to me. Now when it comes to this Kate girl, I think the fact that she's so "just pretty" can make her a good "canvas" for photographers and stylists to work and try to make something different. When I read her name I never know exactly what to expect, and this is good, it keeps me interested. And the fact that she generates such a big reaction - I think it answers why she's on the cover? There is something about her, even if it's just her 'footballer wife' looks, the "outrage" that is to bring a girl like this to the high fashion world... I don't know, but I can see why a fashion magazine editor would want her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing Kate to Cindy Crawford- Hey Now :lol: I am not a fan of Kate and I actually like this cover of her, but it is still irritating me saying she Keeps It Real.. seriously? Real Women? We are all women.. Whether you are slim, tall, short, plus size, small boobs, big boobs, brown hair, blonde, red hair. You have a vagina you are a REAL women. No matter Race, Size.. And I'm sorry - there is no normal body size or shape, no real we women would all be if left out in the wilds of nature (and not seemingly at the whim of societal pressures). Women come in all sizes - for REAL! Saying any particular body type is REAL is actually quite destructive for women everywhere.

I for one had never been interested in Kate, hadn't googled her till tonight and was surprised to find she's just 20! She is pretty and it is a decent cover. She also has a lot of hype (there will be quite a few articles about this cover on the Daily Mail over here) and will be popular among straight men so why not.

I love Kate, I just strongly dislike this "now that's feminity" vibe that is going on with her. Keep those lines for Cosmopolitan or Playboy readers or whoever thinks you have to match some characteristics to be a woman or a man. Though, to go further in what another member said, I think fashion editors actually try to attract this part of the population : I can totally see Kate being worshipped by women for her look is sweet and "popular among straight men" and by the fact that working in high fashion gives her a good image.

I wish she would just model quietly /anonymously, like other models do, that might stop this whole cheap "hit girl" thing and I can look at her work without feeling it's just a marketing plan.
"Love this fat cute abnormal model and feel comfortable and happy about your own abnormal fat" : why do they always feel the need (like an excuse) to make a spread everytime they use a model who doesn't fit the strandards ? I like her look, could they just shut up (I'll do the same :innocent: ) and make it become standard, so everybody can REALLY feel comfortable about that ?

Kate must have her own little army on tfs because the minute one person says something bad about her, people instantly jump and attack lol. I don't like Kate. I don't like her look. I don't think she offers anything that appeals to me. She's a pretty girl, but I'm just not a fan. NEXT!

depends on how one critiques. Your form of criticism is more aceptable but someone calling her sl*tty or a p*rn star or classless because of her look is odd coz those are meant to describe a personality than a look, its like someone describing Snejana as a cold b*tch or aloof or heartless which may not be true since we only see her in pics

Cover Story HQ:

The Wow Factor
Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
Model: Kate Upton
Styling: Francesca Burns
Hair: Luke Hersheson
Make-Up: Lucia Pica
Nails: Jenny Longworth

Digital Edition Vogue UK 01/2013

Editorial HQ:

By The Book
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier