UK Vogue July 2018 : Ariana Grande by Craig McDean

Can Penelope Cruz, Gisele and Rihanna be referred to as Latinas? If not, then Mica Arganaraz and Talisa Soto are the only ones to cover the magazine so far to my knowledge. It's still baffling to me how Jennifer Lopez doesn't have a cover. Edward likes her so we'll see her pretty soon, I'm sure.

I also long so see Liu Wen on the cover sometime soon. Or at least Fei Fei Sun.

Penelope Cruz is a white European Spaniard.
Gisele is Brazilian, but 100 percent pure German ethnically.
Rihanna is a black Caribbean woman. There's nothing latina about her.

I think Mica represents to me the most stereotipically "latina" of the bunch, meaning someone with a complexion similar to that of the indigenous people of this continent. I think that's why I have grown fond of her even though she's such a one trick pony, it's rare to see that type of woman being represented in fashion.

Gisele is a German beauty, Penelope Cruz has more of a mediterranen complexion and black women are quite abundant in some Latin American countries but very uncommon in others so they're not often regarded as representing the latina stereotype.

Well, I like the colour scheme. That's about it! Truly shocked at the cover choice. How random! Is he targeting tweens now??
I have absolutely no interest in reading what some airhead who made a career dressing (and acting) like some jailbait-ish Lolita incarnate. And I fail to see how the Vogue reader will relate to her. There's a reason why she's got the least magazine covers of all her peers.

Somewhere out there Selena Gomez with her million dollar Coach deal and follower count is kicking herself. :lol:

I dont like the cover and the shoot itself, but man this is just insensitive.

Can Penelope Cruz, Gisele and Rihanna be referred to as Latinas? If not, then Mica Arganaraz and Talisa Soto are the only ones to cover the magazine so far to my knowledge. It's still baffling to me how Jennifer Lopez doesn't have a cover. Edward likes her so we'll see her pretty soon, I'm sure.

I also long so see Liu Wen on the cover sometime soon. Or at least Fei Fei Sun.

Salma had a cover back in the day and let’s not forget about that Salvadoran beauty Christy Turlington has some 21 covers.

Salma had a cover back in the day and let’s not forget about that Salvadoran beauty Christy Turlington has some 21 covers.

Yes! Remember Salma's cover now, it was all white with a green font, I think.
Didn't even know Christy Turlington is a latina!

Don't particularly like the cover but i'm surprised she hasn't had a vogue cover before. She's pretty huge.

Also i'm surprised Rita Ora hasn't been on the cover yet.

I think the cover works for Ariana tbh.
I like it.

I've just picked up my subscription copy... the issue is slightly thicker than most other magazines this summer, which is a good sign. I hated the scan of the subscriber cover shot - but seeing it printed on glossy paper, there's much more to like about the colours and textures.

Flicking through... there's Tina Brown! Essentially a short reminder about "The Vanity Fair Diaries" being out. Kirsty Hume appears in a feature about "older women" choosing to have long hair, although the article says nothing of merit other than to sound vaguely insulting about anyone over the age of 40 being such a rebel by not choosing to look like a grandma.

As far as focusing on age elsewhere in the issue, there are snippets from Marie Helvin, Jade Jagger, and former models from decades ago... although the editorials all feature young folk. I'm not fond of the editorials in the current incarnation of UK Vogue, I find them very dull.

Again, this is another issue that I would never have bought on the newsstand at full price, and aside from the glossy front cover, there's not much in the contents that attracts me, and certainly nothing that speaks to me. Who is the Vogue reader these days, I wonder.

EDITOR'S LETTER

UK Vogue Digital Edition

ARIANA GRANDE: THE YEAR THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Chris Appleton
Make-Up: Mark Carrasquilo
Model/Celebrity: Ariana Grande

UK Vogue Digital Edition

THE TIDE POOL
Photographer: Alasdair Mclellan
Stylist: Venetia Scott
Hair: Anthony Turner
Make-Up: Lynsey Alexander
Model: Rianne Van Rompaey

UK Vogue Digital Edition

POINT OF DEPARTURE
Photographer: Dan Martensen
Stylist: Clare Richardson
Hair: Cim Mahony
Make-Up: Chiho Omae
Model: Binx Walton

UK Vogue Digital Edition

LONG STORY SHORT
Photographer: Richard Burbridge
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Sam McKnight
Make-Up: Val Garland
Models: Kirsty Hume & Cecilia Chancellor

UK Vogue Digital Edition

SONIC BOOM
Photographer: Collier Schorr
Stylist: Poppy Kain
Hair: Gary Gill
Make-Up: Susie Sobol
Models: Julia Cumming, AJ Haynes, Clementine Creevy, Okay Kaya & Staz Lindes

UK Vogue Digital Edition

AMAZING GRACE
Photographer: Tim Walker
Stylist: Ibrahim Kamara
Hair: Virginie Pinto Moreira
Make-Up: Ammy Drammeh
Models: Adwoa Aboah, Kesewa Aboah, Jean Campbell, King Owusu & Maximilian Davis

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Ariana’s ed is so pedestrian! An editorial by the Hollywood Reporter is so much better than that! Goodness. Cheap.

Binx should have been given a cover.

Ah, Cecilia's and Kirsty's edit is so short but they look so lovely. I would have added Kristen to that cast...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->