UK Vogue July 2021 : Malala Yousafzai by Nick Knight

Quite a strong set of editorials. Finally a studio ed by I&V that manages to wow me again.

MAYOWA!!!!! Easily the best story from this issue… always found her one of the most underrated gems the industry has to offer (not to say she hasn’t had a stellar career, but where’s her well-deserved mainstream recognition, damn it!), she’s so skilled. What a delight :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Mayowa obviously! and I like Raquel’s editorial too.

Eddie’s editorial is terrible. I love the setting and the mood but her expressions are so so bad! she usually shines, especially in this type of ed by there isn’t one redeeming photograph. ok tenge are a couple but still... I’m shocked.

it’s a good-ish issue that I will probably grab.
ironically, British Vogue is the magazine I’ve been buying the most, go figure.

British Vogue July 2021

Feel The Force

Photography: Inez & Vinoodh
Styling: Phyllis Posnick
Hair: Orlando Pita
Makeup: d*ck Page
Model: Mayowa Nicholas

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Spectacular! I think Mayowa Nicholas still is so underrated as model. She has proven more and more how far she can get.
I am in love! She deserved a cover as well.

Thank you for post aracic!

Not a bad issue in the slightest! Raquel, Mayowa, Edie...they all look amazing! :heart:

Cover story: mild uproar.
Different models just doing their thing in the fashion editorials: peace restored.
Thank god there are still some things that we have in common here.

It's Mehlala to me. Cover should have been Mayowa. Who's woking who?

Not only did my subscription copy arrive in reasonable time, it appeared as I was sitting down to lunch. Most welcome. It's a glossy 222 pgs, and comes with some foundation samples for Armani's Luminous Silk foundation, which won't go amiss.

The minimal text on the front of the subscription version suits the portrait shot much better - it allows the red to be more intense, it makes it more of a visual experience. Although I'm biased, because left to my own devices, my entire life would resemble one of those floor-to-ceiling red rooms you'd see in a hotel. If I could, I would.

Amongst the content at the front, there's a short tribute to Alber Elbaz; the one-page Archive section looks back at a July 1959 cover with Carmen Dell'Orefice in the Caribbean; there's Paloma's beauty editorial - I always think she does her best work for UK Vogue, and the magazine doesn't talk about what she represents, it just features her like it's most the natural thing in the world - which surely is the end game for all forms of diversity. That it's natural she's alongside Karen Elson in a fashion editorial in one issue, or that she's modelling swimwear in another issue, and so on.

There's a 'pregnancy, motherhood & more' section, and then the editorials start. The Malala article sounds like all the other articles that have ever been written about a person who has become a global figurehead, and the editorials are exactly like they seem in the scans. Back page: What Would Manolo Blahnik Do?

Even in the heyday of print, summer issues often never amounted to much, so when you get a range of content in any June or July issue, it's a good thing. And Edward still brings us a June AND a July issue, not some combined-month pamphlet that's supposed to tide you over until the autumn.

Great to see one of big 4 editions promoting Asian faces in editorials.
Learn something! Vogue PAris and ITalia.

Probably will get burned for this, but this is what this issue feels like for me:

Edward sending the issue off to the printing company and going through his list:
Gay person - check, Muslim person - check, White person - check, Black person - check, Asian person - check, Plus-size person - check, Glamour for the traditionalists - check, Youth style for TikTokers - check, Artsy fashion for appreciators - check. Yup, print this s*it, guys!

Edie and Mayowa, that is it. The rest is a total load of cr*p. I repeat, I need Vogue and fashion, glamour, luxury, sex, dream. If I want to know about some politician, activist, whoever else who doesn't belong in a fashion category - I will buy Time, Forbes, WIRED, and literally 500 billions of other magazines.

Vogue is long dead as a fashion bible, all hail business and newspaper level articles Vogue, I guess.

^I think it is not specifically Edward but the world itself. Every industry tries to please everyone and to include as many as people possible. I don't think it is a bad thing if the whole product is cohesive and strong.

Vogue US had models, politicians, celebrities for years and it worked perfectly fine because they had their own standards of luxury and glamour with this very precise imagery that they were the only capable of.

The issue I have with Edward is that it is sometimes good sometimes bad but never "wow". It is a Vogue among many Vogue. With his pedigree, I was expected (and still am) to see the same wonders he did at Vogue US or Vogue Italia.

I want the commitment to fashion, not to be politically correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->