UK Vogue March 2018 : Gigi Hadid & Bella Hadid by Steven Meisel

What infamous shoot VI vs W is that?

Vogue Italia August 2011 (styled by Karl Templer) vs W Magazine September 2011 (styled by Edward Enninful). Meisel used basically the same concept for both magazines.

Last edited by a moderator:
That pic of both girls naked, besides the funny comments that I really enjoy, looks polemic. Is this a new controversial shoot by Meisel?
It is controversial because the amount of retouching he did on Cher is just hilarious, she looks like 20-year-old girl in that pic.

I want to see the ed. I remember Gigi's first VI and W covers, and she was highly criticized. Then the editorial came out and the people (well, I must say the half, no everybody) were praising her pics. I don't know what to think about Bella. I only can say that I loved her Italia Vogue covers. Steven really likes these girls. He refuses to work with Kim K and her sisters (with all the money they have), but he choses the Hadids among all the instagirls (Still don't get why he don't want to work with Cara D.). I don't belive that myth of Hadid parents hiring him for promotion of their daugthers (I'm argentinian, so I don't know about Yolanda and her husband, they're not famous here). He sees something on these sisters...

I'm putting my coins on Edward. As I said about Mr. Farneti, it will take time for him to find his own way. This is his 4th issue. I know he made lots of promises.

PD: Seriously, we should make a contest of funny comments here. I know about the Karma thing, but I need more! :lol: You people made my day

Vogue Italia August 2011 (styled by Karl Templer) vs W Magazine September 2011 (styled by Edward Enninful). Meisel used basically the same concept for both magazines.

Wasn't their talk that Vogue Italia paid for W's shoot, or was it vice versa?

I'm one of the persons that cannot understand the Meisel worship in this forum, he has his moments just like any other big fashion photographer, but in my opinion he's not so consistently brilliant to deserve such a high reputation. Said that i have to say i do not see how Meisel is responsible for this, there is really not much he can do with such basic girls as this two. The blame should be put straight at Edward's feet. It's his magazine and his failures. I cheered when Alexandra left, but I'm certainly not cheering now. He's a total amateur.

I’m with you I have to say. I’ve never understood the worship that surrounds Meisel’s Work at all. Each to their own I suppose, I just fail to see what exactly it is that has him held in such glory.

Pantene Pro-V advert much...

Despite all of their self-generated social media exposure, I find these IG models very one-dimensional and interchangeable.

Review - 372 Pages.

GIGI & BELLA
Cover Girls: Gigi Hadid & Bella Hadid
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Joe McKenna
3 Photos

THE NIGHT HUNTER
Model: Jing Wen
Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Stylist: Venetia Scott
12 Photos

THE SWAN
Model: Kaia Gerber
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Joe McKenna
10 Photos

THE PRADA PERSPECTIVE
Subjects: Miuccia Prada & Mariacarla Boscono
Photographer: Jamie Hawkesworth
Stylist: Edward Enninful
5 Photos

WANDER LUST
Models: Luna Bijl & Kiki Willems
Photographer: Glen Luchford
Stylist: Jane How
10 Photos

NEW HOUSE STYLE
Model: Binx Walton
Photographer: Theo Sion
Stylist: Poppy Kain
6 Photos

SPUR OF THE MOMENT
Models: Selena Forrest & Janaye Furman
Photographer: Theo Sion
Stylist: Max Pearmain
8 Photos

For a brief second I thought that's a vintage Michaela Bercu cover. Gigi looks different here. Bella looks very stiff and exactly like in her MaxMara campaign. I don't even remember when was the last time I was really impressed by Meisel's work.

Thanks for Review. Great to see that Jing Wen gets her first Vogue UK editorial with main story. (I wish Sora also gets her first Vogue UK editorial with main story soon.) Also, it's nice to see working with their contributors like Joe McKenna, Max Pearmain and Jane How for the first time. Except model casting, it is what I want to see in this magazine. Excited to Theo Sion's works.

I know. Besides this fact, that cover and ed with Raquel is one of my favorites. I remember similarities betwen a Louis Vuitton campaign and Julia Nobis'solo cover for VI, or Isabeli Fontana's Moschino ads and her VI debut. Or the D&G fragance ad and the 1998 may cover of L'Uomo Vogue and countless eds of Us Vogue and VI in the early 90's.

Of course Gigi and Bella's ed has only three photos, it's probably all Meisel could get out of them.

I am eager to see Meisel's story with Kaia. He made her look like a very sweet (model) child back in 2015; hopefully he brought out the best in her once again.

That review makes me eager to get home and see my subscription copy, because it sounds like the contents could have potential.

I also want to find out which cover I'm going to receive.

Maybe Kaia was supposed to get the cover : She was also shot by Meisel and her ed is 10 photos long. Whereas Tweedlebore and Tweedleblah only have 3 photos.

Considering she just got a French Vogue + a Love cover maybe they changed plans at the last minute. It could explain why their covers are so uninspired. Although nothing ever stopped Meisel to repeat themes just for the sake of it.

Only 3 photos?

Oui, three photos. The one where they've both nude and intertwined, while the other two are closeup portraits of Gigi and Bella both solo in black and white. Gigi has the strongest cover image but I find Bella's editorial shot better than Gigi's inside the issue.

Kaia's editorial by Steven Meisel is wonderful, and was such a surprise to see another Meisel editorial inside the issue. A real treat for a March issue.

My subscription copy came with Bella's cover, and I'll attempt to take some previews of the editorial content later on!

Are my eyes deceiving me? A solo 12 pg editorial with Jing? I'm over the moon.

Considering she just got a French Vogue + a Love cover maybe they changed plans at the last minute. It could explain why their covers are so uninspired.

They allowed themselves to share a cover image with W Magazine, and yet they won't share a cover star? And putting Gigi and Bella, two of the most overexposed models out there, on the cover exposed them to the same risk of sharing a cover star.

The covers are uninspired not because of a last minute change, its because of lack of vision. #NewVogue

The contents seem to be a saving grace. Excited to see the editorials (especially Jing's). Hopefully its not a rehash of #OldVogue with the #IndieFilter.

I got my issue in the post today and, while I happen to like both covers, I already have two Gigi British Vogue covers in my collection so I was hoping for Bella - but Gigi it is. The lettering is indeed foil and it's really beautiful; the whole cover has this really warm, inviting tone, with the gold letters, Gigi's golden hair and skin, and the gold dress.

The portraits of the girls inside are nice enough but Kaia's shoot is beautiful. It's a quintessential Meisel studio shoot and Kaia is great in it, she has a lot of potential and I think she's going to develop into a really fantastic model over the next couple of years. I really like the M&M shoot too, the colours are gorgeous in it.

It feels fantastic to have powerhouse photographers regularly in this magazine again. I find, so far, that the magazine has a much better mix of the star names with newer photographers. To me Alexandra was too sparse with her use of Sims, M&M, Nick Knight, McDean and I&V, with way too much reliance on Demarchelier and Testino as the big names. Although I do think she did a great job of featuring photographers such as Alasdair McLellan, helping him become more established. I hope Edward makes good use of those photographers I listed and doesn't just lean on M&M and Meisel, it would be especially great to have Nick Knight as a regular contributor to the magazine again.

Glen Luchford's story is nice enough, but not really my kind of thing, and unfortunately the Theo Sion shoots are in a similar vein to a Meisel/Sims studio shoot - which is a shame because Meisel did it better only a few pages before. It would have been nice to have something different in the issue, another location shoot would have been great because after my initial look through I came away with the impression of a lot of grey. A bit more lightness and colour would have been lovely towards the end.

I don't know what it is about the photography and layout, but I find Edward's Vogue does a much better job of enticing me to read the features. There are some fantastic shots of Helen Mirren, and the Miuccia Prada feature looks really great too.

It's a pretty decent March issue, it's thick and it seems like there's a lot packed in there; it just would have been nice to have a little more variation with the shoots though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->