UK Vogue March 2020 : Irina Shayk by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by honeycombchild, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Blayne266

Blayne266 Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure but I think there’s another cover to come. On British Vogues Instagram stories they show Irina showcasing the cover (which has been put on a black board for the purpose of the story) and she says “I’ve just seen my cover’s” then she unveils one of the boards but there’s also another behind her. Maybe that’s a reach haha.

Benn98, tigerrouge and slayage like this.
  2. crmsnsnwflks

crmsnsnwflks Well-Known Member

It's fresh, it's clean, and it has a real fashion model on its cover.
    My only concern is the "Shayk It Off" cover line. Dad jokes aren't
    fun, Edward. This isn't Seventeen.

franceslions and Benn98 like this.
  3. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Who’s the new creative Director?

4. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

Are there multiple covers?

5. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

I mean what is this, even?!! Vogue Taiwan has better covers than this!

6. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Yikes, who is responsible for the hair? It looks baaaaaad.
    The cover is nice overall I guess, despite the shayk it off thing. At first glance at least it's nice but the more I look at it the less it works for me. There's something in Irina's eyes that is so sleepy, the shot looks very empty with pink on pink and the masthead seems strange

aracic likes this.
  7. Vitamine W

Vitamine W Well-Known Member

It's the longest I ever looked at a picture of her so I'll give'm that. Still dont like her but its interesting. Normally I hate it when M&M go all artsy but we'll see.

8. gazebo

gazebo Well-Known Member

Badass in pink. Her hotness balances off the sweetness so well - tasty!

9. tipi1355

tipi1355 Active Member

She also opens up about their split for the first time in this interview, so it’s even beyond the cover that they’re trading on her association with him.

10. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Never expected to see Irina Shayk score the March issue of British Vogue, so that in itself feels like a nice surprise! However, I'm not exactly bawled over by the outcome of this... always disliked this style of photography from M&M and I would've preferred something à la M&M's photos of Kaia Gerber for Love Spring 2018.

Tauriel and fierrousa like this.
  11. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Blah. Weird cover...and again, looks like something that could be from Alexandra's era (maybe even 2010...haha) I was hoping for a (bland and predictable) Meisel cover at the least.

Don't like when M&M do their "new wave", indie sterile photography. So thus far this issue looks like a total miss for me.

12. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

I wish it was by Meisel. Her OG cover by Steven it's beyond overdue, with all the campaigns they've shoot together. I don't hate M&M (even if some of their favorite models are the worst ones in the industry), but this cover belongs to Steven, not them. How many years I will wait to see that happen?

vogue28, franceslions and Will Ross like this.
  13. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Love it! Plus it's a model issue this is a must have!

14. Will Ross

Will Ross Well-Known Member

Such an erratic and messy cover and story.

First the mess that was Versace now this. I usually don’t mind them but they’re obviously trying to hard to look young and modern instead of sticking to what they are best at.

Speaking of trying to look young and modern let’s talk about that styling. Edward never has really blown me away with his normal full look styling and when he tries to mix it up it just shows his lack of depth. He definitely isn’t a Joe or Templer and never will be. Plus the team he surrounds himself with there is just as bad when it comes to styling. Those other stories by Dena and Julia are literal garbage. Sad.

#34 Will Ross, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited by moderator vogue28: Jan 28, 2020
    YohjiAddict likes this.
  15. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

Damn, I actually really wanted to like this. I'm happy for Irina - she's worked really hard to build and maintain solid relationships in the fashion industry and it's quite an achievement to be landing this cover (among her many other Vogue covers over the past few years) this far into her career and years after already being quite famous as a purely commercial swimsuit/lingerie model. She's found her niche in the fashion world and has been killing it and I love that she got a UK Vogue cover.

Unfortunately, the hair and face are not at all working for me. Whomever styled that hair ... I mean it's simply inexplicable. There are no words. And her expression is just so lifeless. There's just nothing there, nothing emoting whatsoever. And it's not like she isn't capable; we've seen her deliver countless beautiful photos in recent years; surely there was a better pic? And finally the photoshop or makeup, whatever is making her literally look like she's wearing a "Glass Face" instagram filter. It's a no for me.

The colour, the pose, the fashion styling - all the rest is working. Just from the neck up isn't.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  16. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

At first glance I really liked it, but then I looked at Irina's face for more than a second and started to notice the sleepiness of it all. The hair is really hideous as well, I just don't get it. But I'm very into that Prada outfit and the composition of the shot, though it would've been wonderful if we could see more of the embellishment.

YohjiAddict and franceslions like this.
  17. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

I would absolutely love this... if not for the hair. The editorial looks dreadful though. I wanted glamour!

fierrousa likes this.
  18. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

I want to like it, I really do but I just can't. Something is just really off here, and that hair, THAT HAIR. I'm glad its a model issue, but based off what the cover says its going to be ones I dont even think are active anymore or ones that really shouldn't be in the spotlight as much.

And if what its implying I'd hardly called Kate, Naomi, and Gigi "new" to the runway.

19. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I love Irina but she deserved better. This is the time to get a Meisel treatment and show what she can do.
    The aesthetic is very Galliano for Margiela.

vogue28 likes this.
  20. liberty33r1b

liberty33r1b Well-Known Member

horrible styling