Make-Up: Lucia Pica
Models: Karly Loyce & Lineisy Montero

UK Vogue Digital Edition

A HAND-MADE TALE
Photographer: Willy Vanderperre
Stylist: Venetia Scott
Hair: Anthony Turner
Make-Up: Lynsey Alexander
Models: Xie Chaoyu, He Cong, Selena Forrest, Jonas Gloer, Paul Hameline, Maryna Horda, Lea Julian, Hiandra Martinez, Alyssa Traore, Signe Veiteberg, Sara Grace Wallerstedt, Kiki Willems & Anok Yai

UK Vogue Digital Edition

"I MAKE CLOTHES FOR STRONG WOMEN"
Photographer: Tim Walker
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Shon
Make-Up: Sam Bryant
Models: Primrose Archer, Xie Chaoyu, Lily Nova, Ayobami Okekunle, Amelleah Thomas & Duckie Thot

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Thank you once again, Zorka! Could you please post the Kawakubo article?

Like Venetia’s ed, but that’s about it. The rest is an unholy mess., It has zero identity and leaves me cold. And if i had any intention of buying this ( that i don’t) the self righteous editor’s letter would be enough to put me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Venetia's ed. Nice to see some talented female photographers stepping up to fill the void left by the recent, um, events.

I think it's a very good issue. You've got models on the cover, a Couture editorial, a great location for Heat Wave.
Venetia's editorial is my favourite: the casting, setting, atmosphere and styling work perfectly. Lineisy and Karly are such a great duo. Karly is especially underrated in my opinion. Very lovely editorial.

Venetia's edit actually looks great. Really nothing new for this magazine nor for her portfolio, but it works. I'm just not sure why she had to go all the way to South Africa for such a story, but ok.

I'm about halfway through reading the issue, and the articles aren't too bad. Well, Adwoa's is so juvenile, they might as well have just printed a page with her picture on it, it would have spared me the minute I spent reading through it, but she's the Everywhere Girl, so it has to happen.

Heat Wave is exactly the sort of fashion fantasy I want to see Vogue. Something that makes you dream of different places, different lives... and better weather. The rest of the editorials don't say much to me.

So this issue is simultaneously the one I've paid most attention to, since the launch one, yet it's also going into the recycling once I've read it.

I have to agree with everyone, Venetia's story is nothing new for her but it's still brilliant. The shot of Karly getting out of the bath in Pucci is so captivating.

FOCAL POINT
Photographer: Feng Li
Stylists: Venetia Scott & Naomi Smart
Hair & Make-Up: Daniel Zhang
Model: Qiaoyu Li

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Lineisy and Karly's ed is by far one of the best eds of the year, truly stunning. South Africa is so gorgeous, Venetia nailed it.

the cover is stunning in person. i might buy my first copy of this magazine in about 3 years !

The shoot itself is very UN-INSPIRING. shouting fashion going backward..... It's 2018 and doing grey studio background again. whoever on the cover, not buying a vogue like this.

Don't get me wrong Venetia has produced some of the most memorable editorials across international editions of VOGUE over the years but HEAT WAVE is laughable.

Lineisy looks like a prepubescent girl playing dress up while the other shots with Karly are completely cringe-worthy. Towel laid out on bricks shot with the rock placed on the corner to keep it down? WTF? Then we get the two shots of both girls with their arms, folded around their neck, in succession. Let's see some variety in photographic poses and editing skills!

Also it'd be nice to see editorials with text and page numbers to see the flow of the stories. Yes fashion photos are pretty but those pesky design details are critical and place those images in a storytelling context. Editors spend great deal of energy story boarding, selecting which images get paired together on the same spread.

Vanderperre's ed is utterly lackluster save for the trio shot with the girls holding up the frons. A less cluttered, paired-down image with more white space around the girls and "bouquets" would've looked out of this world and something we haven't seen for the umpteenth millionth time.

I really love seeing clever use of props such as this: cheap, shiny lawn chairs, satin-matte face masks and whimsical floral arrangements which really play well off the subtle gloss of the garments. I miss the days when fashion imagery was worth studying because of these storytelling layers, details, little moments of brilliance.

The Tim Walker ed. Abysmal. Devoid of life, energy, whimsy, artistry, romance. Look at the included archive images. THATS fashion.

I like the revamped UK Vogue; it looks a lot like US Vogue circa 2009, but hey, it was IMO often "quality" then so I have no problem with the aping of vibe and overall aesthetic. At least it's aspirational, which is more than I can say for most magazines these days.

The fashion stories are very safe, but they are often pretty and decent enough. People claiming they miss Alexandra's era...let's not. There was nothing iconic about her work in recent years, nor the sea of white faces that felt so out of sync with 21st century Britain.

I must say though that the stories in this issue are pretty bad. McDean's cover story is very unimaginative; only Vittoria's close-up will be remembered for it's stark/Rhythm Nation-esque appeal. Venetia's story has some nice shots, but as ellastica pointed out, some cringe-worthy art direction. I don't quite understand why she's fashion director of this mag. She's obviously played an important role in fashion in the last 20 years, but she's such a poor fit for a bigger role, working with prominent photographers with distinct styles (she, herself, does not count in the latter list LOL).

Let's not start on Willy Vanderperre's horrible couture editorial that looks straight out of Stefano Tonchi's book of high-fashion s**t, made even worse with the "look at me Ashley Brokaw/so exkluziv cast". Someone needs to pay him to go on a very, very long sabbatical. It's not 2006 anymore, it's not even 2009 for him, his work has been terrible for so long!

Thanks for the images though :flower:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->