UK Vogue May 2021 : Thandiwe Newton by Mikael Jansson

Nothing WOW... But it is simple, beautiful and efficient, fulfilled the mission!

I imagine most people will think the cover has a typo.
I would have liked something more spring/summer in vibes.

The first cover is astoundingly beautiful! It just looks so classic and timeless.
I was a little peed-off reading the title because how long would Naomie have to wait before she gets hers? She's an actual Oscar-nominated actress and absolutely gorgeous. But the cover is definitely worth getting.

Second one is awful and shouldn't have happened. I'm guessing it's the digital cover? Also, is it Thandie or Thandiwe?

Icon? Overstatement.

Nevertheless, the colours of the newsstand cover are gorgeous, love the richness of the purple and Mikael Jansson's lighting here. It really is a beautiful and rather flawless cover photograph. In stark comparison, however, the subscribers cover is an eyesore. The red filter and pose is atrocious!

Lovely :heart: but if you want to call her an icon, don´t use a name that she´s really not known for :doh:

Icon? Overstatement.

Agreed! It's like when they gave Gugu's cover the 'breakout star' byline when she already appeared in an award circuit film years ago.
'Icon' is like 'supermodel', you need to be able to associate the subject with at least one polarising movie, album or cover/ad campaign. Can't think of one when it comes to Thandie's body of work. Beloved maybe, but when I think Beloved I think Oprah and KE, not Thandie.

Talk about an Easter surprise! Love this and love Thandie (oops I mean Thandiwe). So glad to see her on the cover. Second cover gives me flashbacks to Naomi's March 2019 spread.

Edward's Instagram posts says this is her birthname, and she will discuss using the 'W' in the interview. I am sure she has a good reason for that (could think of a few), so maybe we should wait before passing immediate judgements and comments about that?

The first cover is great, and should be the only one.
Also, calling her an icon is a REACH. That's a word that can only be used to describe about 5 people.

The first cover is stunning. Thandie finally have a Vogue cover she deserves. The second cover is unnecessary, that red filter is an eyesore.

Her Marie Claire civets were far more superior to this.
For such a stylish and classy woman, the fashion industry has clearly missed something in not embracing her in a stronger way.
Chanel, Valentino, Prada...Where are the contracts ?

I like the first cover it’s clean and classic, Thandiwe is so beautiful, but I find it boring, especially off the back of Steven Meisel’s April covers which were superb. But the second cover I adore, It so striking & strong in my opinion, it’s very different from what Edward has done before and I really appreciate that.

The newsstand cover resembles those desktop publisher covers for hair rags. Beyond annoyingly amateur layout to boot.

The subscriber’s cover, however… She is appropriately stunning, naughty and smouldering. If only it were in simple B&W instead of the reaching-annoying level red overlay. And gorgeous layout. Edward’s Vogue has overwhelmingly been such bust— but when he gets it right, like the gorgeous Sept issue with the Black Panther vibe, and this subscriber’s cover, it's simply straightup sublime.

In the UK Vogue cover survey email that came out a while back, one of the versions put forward was: "My name is Thandiwe, it always has been" which gets the message across without people wondering whether this is her sister or something.

If that second shot is the subscribers cover... having a good boob-scratch while busting for a wee. Surely there was better.

It's stunning! Gorgeous Thandiwe, stunning makeup, and decent colors (though I wish the logo were white or something more striking)! However, I can't deny that this is formulaic UK Vogue. Portrait, studio shoot, image oriented to the left/right. There has to be more from their covers. Is UK Vogue the Ariana Grande of all the Vogue editions?

The art direction couldn't get any more amateur. The way the text are kerned is triggering me. Someone gets paid for this? I cannot.

Though I love how she use Thandiwe as form of reclaiming her own name/identity. However, I wish there was more context on the cover? The tagline mentioned by @tigerrouge would have made more sense. This is just confusing for the average reader.

The digital cover is tragic. Makes you think why Edward sticks to what he knows - Portrait covers.

But her IG still shows 'Thandie Newton', including handle. Considering it's so sensitive, is she unveiling the news via a Vogue cover?
Not very sensible at all, imo. It's as awkward as FKA Twigs uncovering her abuse story for US Elle's spring fashion issue.

Reactions: MON
The first cover is divine, but the second is very bland. Hope than her editorial will be good & see the other stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieRunway
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->