UK Vogue November 2019 : Jourdan Dunn by Nick Knight

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Sep 30, 2019.

1. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

Well, we’re outside. Nice to have a break from studio shots. It definitely doesn’t read British Vogue to me, I get them US vibe for sure. Nice to see her back and she does look great.

I wish Knight would be given the creative freedom to deliver what he does best however. This isn’t signature Knight. So many other photographers could have delivered this, it’s not ultimately what I think he’s best used for.

2. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

What a fantastic shot, Edward just understand's what makes an impactful, commercially HF appealing cover! This is just such a great combo, the fact she is outside, and it is shot by Knight, and of course that it's HER, which i didn't expect to happen until next year!

Edward making me believe in magazines again, can't wait to buy this!

3. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Oh this is stunning. This is exactly what I was talking about. Edward needs to step out of his comfort zone.

Not sure about the black masthead though. Gold would have been nice. And the pose could have been less rigid.

Also I don’t see US Vogue or any US magazine. It doesn’t have that cheap commercial touch to make a US cover.

YohjiAddict and slayage like this.
  4. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Really lovely cover! I love how the field/hill in the backdrop creates such a sense of expanse beyond Jourdan. Very nice to finally see her here, even though the cover is un-Knight (rather more dressed up Elgort, or even vintage Meisel at his more bucolic).

5. Scouting Snapper

Scouting Snapper Active Member

JD is the QUEEN and that's that on that ...LOVE her & extremely happy for her ...

6. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

That raggedy looking Chanel dress only gets uglier the more I see it. Jourdan
    looks beautiful though.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  7. SpeakThatJDunn

SpeakThatJDunn Well-Known Member

The "Jourdan who" club is so ignorant. She's worked for almost THIRTEEN years in the industry, and people want to be shady? A black model to still be booking big covers after that long is amazing, and people want to discredit that.

She's more famous than a lot of models Edward has been featuring. Just because she doesn't walk shows anymore and pose with instamodels, people think they slick. Bye.

I love the cover.

8. Mercury6181

Mercury6181 Member

So happy to see Jourdan on the cover, love her! Not sure about the cover though I don’t really like composition and how much of an angle she’s at

9. jjjmmm

jjjmmm Member

When I read Night Knight I got excited.... then all I see now is a cheap catalog photo. What happened?

10. khyrk

khyrk Oh Yeah!

Beautiful!

11. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

I'm not feeling it. Jourdan is pure perfection but this is such an odd shot for a cover, it just doesn't feel right. Maybe if the layout was different or they used different colors or just something... I don't know. But I'm excited to see her full editorial.

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Spot on! It does look very Harper's actually.

So nobody's going to talk about the fact that it looks like she was photoshopped on top of one of those corny photo studio backdrops?

Odd model choice, won't even get into the casting decision because it's really as rhetorical as Rosie for Harper's.

13. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

I am trying hard to like this cover and for some reason, it’s not happening... and this is not giving me November vibes at all... I need something like Make November Great Again to make me feel better about this dull month :)
    Needless to say Jourdan is a stunning girl...

Benn98 likes this.
  14. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I got really excited when I read "Jourdan Dunn by Nick Knight" but I don't like this one bit. I don't agree that it looks high fashion and I absolutely hate that ruched Chanel dress. It's a wasted opportunity for sure.

15. phungnam96

phungnam96 Well-Known Member

I saw Nick Knight and thought it would be something surreal... turns out it's something Annie Leibovitz

JeanAvril, aracic and Benn98 like this.
  16. Joromana

Joromana Active Member

Love love love this but she looks cut out from the background.

17. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

That's my problem as well. I still remember that amazing shoot he did with Jourdan back in 2008, with all those dreamy archive pieces. Both Nick and Jourdan are capable of so much more. Alas, Edward's commercial, pedestrian taste got in the way of that.

The actual cover is nice, green is not a very common sight on magazine covers, but it looks more suited to month like February or May.

18. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Found myself going through my British Vogue collection, and realized that this pales in comparison with her January 2015 cover.

Circumstances aside, this is equally stunning. However, there’s something about that January 2015 cover that feels happier. Its more refreshing. Less produced. It reflected Jourdan’s beauty more and how she’s happy to be there. That cover shot where she was just sitting, with vibrant colors. Stunning!

Maybe its the color choice, but idk. This is too gloomy, and too well-produced.

In case you forgot (which is Criminal btw)
    [​IMG]
    theguardian

Srdjan likes this.
  19. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Was it really? The preview photo on their Instagram looks suspect as well. Like they just pasted her. Maybe its the lighting?

20. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Know exactly where yourself and @MON are coming from but according to Enninful the cover shoot took place at Richmond Park on the hottest day of the year a few months back.

Nick Knight also photographed other black models for the cover feature too.

YohjiAddict likes this.