UK Vogue October 2018 : The Beckhams by Mikael Jansson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by gunsnroses, Sep 3, 2018.

1. JessRubik

JessRubik Active Member

Doesn’t feel like vogue at all. So bland.

But I guess that’s what vogue has turned into, so it works..

Benn98 likes this.
  2. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

No one looks particularly exceptional. The type of photograph that usually sits at the desk of a CEO to convince investors they are dealing with a "family man".

MulletProof and Benn98 like this.
  3. HodanChloe

HodanChloe Active Member

Meh. I wish it was just Victoria, no one cares about their kids.

Blayne266 likes this.
  4. PierreGotha

PierreGotha Member

It's dreary! Edward, where's the glamour?

mikel likes this.
  5. Sensation

Sensation V.I.P.

It's not too bad.

6. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Very American Vogue.

Madonna by Tim Walker vibes I guess.

7. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Nobody wants fashion to 'get real' and if they do, they can buy Porter. And stop borrowing coverlines from US Bazaar.

8. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

I just realized this is Edward's first original cover that is shot outdoors, right? Which makes what i heard even more mind boggling!!!

9. badgalcrush

badgalcrush Active Member

I was wondering the same but I guess Victoria wanted this cover to not be for once about David and I'm all her side about this but I also suspect some strategy from her and Vogue to make so more press around the rumors of her and Davi getting divorce , more press more chance to sell more money...
    At least David appears in the editorial

10. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

I adore Mikael's work; he's really one of my all-time faves, but I don't like that since Testino's expulsion from the fashion industry he's being used by Anna and now Edward to fill that void of banal, "approachable" celebrity portraiture. Let me keep it real, is his work without Karl Templer's name in the styling credits really making an impression long-term? No. I haven't even seen him work with Anastasia Barbieri either recently (tragic!).

Anyway, this image is totally unsuited for the cover of a fashion magazine but I'm indifferent as usual to it.

vogue28, Miss Dalloway and mikel like this.
  11. Miss Dalloway

^ Used though? It's his choice, the man does not come cheap either. He got paid for this, i wouldn't fault him for taking over some jobs that would obviosuly fall to Testino, I think photographers like him have earned the right to make some buck, and do some high commercial work for top titles, like this. Funny thing is, he worked with VB before, and even said he exepcted it to be a nightmare, and basically took it for the $$. But was surprised when she showed up on time, and was professional, which must be why he was ok with shooting her for this.

But Mikael's best work is defo with Karl. Also some of those covers he did for Anna are easily best covers US Vogue has had, and stand above Testino's, imo. Strange she suddenly stoped using him!

Fiercification likes this.
  12. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

So boring!!!! But I'm not surprised. What can you expect from Vogue UK? Get to work.

13. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Subscribers Cover:

14. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

The subs cover just works so much better as an image for me.

It's cute Harper is in the background, but a shame they've blocked her out with the masthead!

Miss Dalloway and Blayne266 like this.
  15. Sailor

Sailor Active Member

Lovely OK! magazine spread .... oh, wait

16. samoanceleb

samoanceleb Active Member

I love it. Its very on brand for Victoria as she does position herself as a working mum and wife, and most of her recent press, she talks about prioritsing her role as a mother and wife, as opposed to a designer only.

I also think its very of the moment, modern and refreshing for UK Vogue to have cover subjects that have depth and other dimensions to their success. Consider US Vogue's stories this year with Serena Williams and baby; Amal Clooney and Beyonce. These types of examples do provide powerful examples of women who juggle success with family responsibilities and don't necessarily have a movie or album to plug.

Lastly, the shoot and cover does have a less than perfect, fun and casual feel about it and I think it is quite fitting of the family and the ethos and brand (including their individual quirky personality traits that make them feel approachable) that they work hard at trying to communicate.

Miss Dalloway likes this.
  17. sweetpop

sweetpop Active Member

Like others have commented on the thread, I think the family portrait (sans David) hasn't really delivered. For me the picture fails to capture any of the warmth the family show each other through their own social media. The subscriber's cover of Victoria and David is marginally better, but they did Harper dirty by partially obscuring her with the masthead!

British Vogue posted a video related to the issue on their twitter: I enjoyed watching it! It's a reminder again that altogether VB rarely smiles in photos, she has a wonderful sense of humour. :lol:

source: British Vogue Twitter

Bahiyya, Miss Dalloway and Blayne266 like this.
  18. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

I love vodeo

19. samoanceleb

samoanceleb Active Member

Love the video ...especially the bronzed look .. LOLZ

20. Miss Dalloway

Wow at her getting back into that Posh Spice Catsuit, 22 years later! The sub cover is not bad actually, zero interest in David, but it works, especially with Harper on the swing in the back, looking over them.

I heard that this was the FIRST Edward's cover that didn't blow the budget! How is that even possible? They were shot at their country estate, and there were no extra demands, not even photo approval, but you still have Mikael, and top hair & make -up people. So how freaking ironic that The Beckhams of all people, would save them money.

But 10 whole issues of throwing money away, and they were all (?) studio shot covers? I don't care how much Meisel costs, but that is just silly, and it certainly won't work for Edward long term!