UK Vogue October 2020 : Emma Corrin by Charlotte Wales

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

UK Vogue October 2020

Drama Queens

Photographer: Richard Burbridge
    Hair: Sandy Hullett
    Makeup: Pat McGrath
    Cast: Mayowa Nicholas, Meghan Roche

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

UK Vogue Digital Edition

2. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

BRITS' SPIRIT (Textless)
    Photographer: Scott Trindle
    Stylist: Kate Phelan
    Hair: Ryan Mitchel
    Make-Up: Lynsey Alexander
    Models: Grace Clover, Florence, Aaliyah Hydes, Caren Jepkemei, Michelle Laff, Patrycja Piekarska, Allana Santos Brito & Shivaruby

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UK Vogue Digital Edition

crmsnsnwflks likes this.
  3. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

A STITCH TO WEAR (Textless)
    Photographer: Harley Weir
    Stylist: Julia Sarr-Jamois
    Hair: Yann Turchi
    Make-Up: Lauren Parsons
    Models: Jay Jay, Jill Kortleve, Ceval Omar, Ariish Wol & AJ Yel

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UK Vogue Digital Edition

guimon likes this.
  4. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Fashion is back, and there are lots of different faces in this issue. It's probably not a keeper, but I look forward to my print copy arriving, to get a better look at the content.

5. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

IN REAL LIFE
    Photographer:
    Sean Thomas
    Stylist: Dena Giannini
    Hair: Neil Moodie
    Make-Up: Lotten Holmqvist
    Entrepreneurs: Rose Knox-Peebles, Becky Fatemi, Florence Kollie Raja, Gynelle Lyon, Tolu Agbelusi, Marwa Ali, Jo Berryman, Gigi Jamois, Roksana Ciurysek-Gedir, & Faye Wei Wei

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UK Vogue Digital Edition

6. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

DRAMA QUEENS (Textless)
    Photographer: Richard Burbridge
    Stylist: Jessica Diner
    Hair: Sandy Hullett
    Make-Up: Pat McGrath
    Models: Meghan Roche & Mayowa Nicholas

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UK Vogue Digital Edition

guimon likes this.
  7. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

The intended mood, grandeur and irreverence of the cover is marred by the terrible quality of the photography. (Venetia would've been a better choice to shoot this type of cover). Emma, channeling a defiant, Diana, placed on that pedestal, seen through misty foliage could've been amazing in that soft-focus, romantic style of David Hamilton (full body, waist up cover shots are always the most challenging but also the most exciting, fashion and graphic design-wise).

Instead we get this drab, washed out setting accented only by scrunchy, sports car blue, tarp dress. As with the majority of modern day photoshoots (I say starting in c 2005) there's both a lack of organic spontaneity along with the razor-sharp, in the moment, artistic and photographic precision. Even the simplest studio shoots from 50s VOGUE, were revelatory. Ingenuity, resourcefulness, every last fashion and prop detail perfected, that's what makes the fashion shoot fantasy, so endlessly fascinating, to me.

VOGUE March 1, 1955 x Richard Rutledge
    [​IMG]
    archive.vogue

The Diana editorial itself is bland yet pleasant in that UK Bazaar sort of way. The soft-focus, throwback lighting and color balance works much better in the editorial but the shots are hilariously try-hard. Why is Emma running in some shots, chilling alone on a boat without oars (gorgeous shot tho!), or squeezing in a formal BW pooch portrait, in another frame?

As usual the rest of the fashion eds are utterly forgettable.

8. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

LOL And that’s not hyperbole. The guy who doesn’t give a sh!t and who’s so clearly just going through the motions these days is the only one who’s giving a HF story. All the others are just giving rejected selects with absolutely not a clue of what concept is.

Thanks as always for @Zorka and @Benn98 for posting so I don’t have to waste 30sec of bandwidth to download this nonsense.

9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

You can tell that the team who worked on the cover edit clearly doesn't live or have a better understanding of that 'English countryside' aesthetic that is now almost exclusively associated with Harper's. Firstly, it's not cohesive enough to even rival Harper's, let's just get that out of the way. The cover and opening shot with the white jumper may look 80s, but the rest of the editorial is more post-war imo. And just in case you didn't get the memo that this story is supposed to be English, they've thrown in some random Edwardian oval frames to drive the point home.

Quite like the Harley Weir story because of the styling and cast, but nothing else interests me. Not Teller's POP reject which features surprise surprise Saint Laurent (the brand he shoots campaigns for), not the 80s beauty edit that you can find in any wannabe edgy magazine but mostly VP, nor the Trindle story which is basically UK Vogue staple meaning neither here nor there.

An absolute waste of models and budgets. And sorry for Emma, but this cover is not going to make her 'trend'. Currently, it managed to get less than a third amount of likes on IG than any of the essential workers who weren't even famous subjects.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  10. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ LOL What budget?!?!??! I’ve seen stronger and more creative snaps taken on an iPhone with better compositions and lighting. And most commoners instinctually reject that heinous vignette filter by default… (I have to LOL @“In Real Life”… lowest of the lows in an issue that’s already scraping the residue off the bottom of the barrel. The shot of the token Asian woman sitting on the stump of a tree is the kind of shot your mum would take on an outing at the farmer’s market…)

(And I don’t see a single memorable face when it comes to models cuz not a single photographer seems to care or know about capturing the energy nor spirit of their subjects to make them memorable. It's just a mass of fabrics that's trying to pass as styling.)

11. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Dependence on digital photography has rendered everyone lazy. When you can take a thousand shots in an hour, discard most them, and then easily photoshop the ones that get chosen, where is the impetus for anyone to approach it with forethought and care?

When film was too expensive to waste, everyone involved in the shoot had to turn up and get it right first time. Most of it had to be in place before the image was taken.

JessRubik, thiago:), Razjel and 5 others like this.
  12. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Paris Match by Teller is good and the cast is a dream. Compared with the astounding lack of energy that permeates the issue, it's a masterpiece.
    Love the grittiness against the ultra glamourous clothes.

Drama Queens I could recreate with my eyes closed and a 12 pack of Crayolas, seen it a thousand times...maybe less, maybe more.

The main edit belongs in a god forsaken indie or the portfolio of a recent photography graduate. The vignette is the height of amateurishness and totally out of place, it's 1980s not 1880s.

Zorka likes this.
  13. WAVES

WAVES Member

Harley Weir and Jurgen Teller have the best editorials as Weir being Weir and Teller being Teller and that’s not saying much...

as for the main ed I was expecting more, there a couple of nice shots but that’s it.

14. Ivanity86

Ivanity86 Member

Oh my God, would this be the big fashion issue? remember when the big fashion issue was with Mario Testino, Craig Mcdean, david Sims, tim Walker ,Patrick Demarchelier? ah Those were Glorious times for fashion magazines,but the fault is for the choice of fashion editors, devoid of personality, all the same!!

YohjiAddict and Zorka like this.
  15. Kiyoko

Kiyoko Member

Fashion is just so god damn ugly now - who would have ever thunk :yuk:

HeatherAnne, Razjel, dfl-001 and 4 others like this.
  16. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

My subscription copy is yet to arrive but from the looks of things, I’m not missing out on much.

Benn98 likes this.
  17. phungnam96

phungnam96 Well-Known Member

That photo where Emma on the boat could have been much better for the cover but well... choices.

LustforFashion and RedSmokeRise like this.
  18. Mody

Mody Active Member

Well I do miss the days when fashion does something cinematic I guess those days are gone
    It is rather frustrating yet to see that fabulous YSL translate well in editorial
    The magic on the runway just never really comes through for some reasons

19. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Such a dissappointing issue.
    8? pages on Gardeners!

Razjel, Phuel and RedSmokeRise like this.
  20. liberty33r1b

liberty33r1b Well-Known Member

what a nightmare when will it stop

Phuel and KateTheGreatest like this.