UK Vogue September 2019 : The ‘Forces for Change’ by Peter Lindbergh

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by KissMiss, Jul 28, 2019.

1. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

I feel embarrassed for anyone who finds this inspirational. Hardly riveting choices.
    Besides Vogue you're a fashion magazine, stay in your lane, we want a September fashion cover.

gazebo, apple, anlabe32 and 12 others like this.
  2. Nepenthes

Nepenthes Active Member

I don't understand what the blank space is about but overall I really appreciate this. I think it would be more impactful if all these women were photographed together but I'm not mad at this at all.

3. HeatherAnne

Apparently it's a mirror because you yourself are so inspiring. [gag]

I love Meghan Markle, and think it's refreshing she is part of the monarchy, but she needs to get a hold of her ego.

I'm not one to quote the Daily Mail, but they nailed it:
    JAN MOIR: The cause Meghan Markle is mostly supporting is the Me, Myself and I Foundation | Daily Mail Online

gunsnroses likes this.
  4. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Exactly. This and Miss Dalloway's post share my sentiment, fine to have this for October but why September!? Beyond cheesy, but I knew this would happen when I hear about Meghan editing the Sept issue. I really like her and Harry but this all feels like a very forced stunt from Conde; first given how early on into Meghan's "duchess-ship" this has take place, and the whole conception of this.

Plus the mirror concept has been done before by TIME in 2006! So lame! Oh well, at least Lindbergh will probably profit from this as his first UK Vogue cover and contribution in...donkeys?

gazebo, Miss Dalloway and HeatherAnne like this.
  5. Armani

Armani Moderator

What...... is this? Could they not have executed this better? The suburban mom collage (especially with that mirror) looks cheesy.

Some of these shots would make superb solo covers... we’ve seen Vogue Japan’s Sep issue and the plethora of covers that ensued after the first. I see where British Vogue is coming from, with Meghan editing the issue, showcasing prominent activists in various industries, giving them further of a platform, but, again, the execution gives the message almost a childish feel (*insert "everyone! we have an announcement to make! STOP BULLYING" video here*)

If you’re feeling depressed, just smile and the pain will go away :angel:

Benn98, Mercury6181 and HeatherAnne like this.
  6. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

What is that??? So uninspiring cast and bad creative direction.

7. ThatDudeOverTher

ThatDudeOverTher Active Member

People are seriously so offended by this cover? Sure, stylistically, it could have been executed better, but what is so awful about a collage of women who have in their own ways, effected some kind of positive change?

If you're deeply affected by the reflective square/mirror on the cover which is obviously meant to inspire you to feel like you too could accomplish as much as this women, perhaps it's time to question exactly why you feel that way. Stop bowing to societal pressures and celebrate yourself! Also, stop being so serious. Relax, it'll help with the wrinkles.

Finally, the daily mail garbage is following the typical, abusive, and racist attack on Meghan's every move. Imagine a woman giving up HER face on the cover of a magazine (I'm sure that's what they wanted), to have other women celebrated and still trying to make it seem like she's doing it solely to boost her ego. REALLY!?

Some of the members in this forum act exactly like the bile-filled British press where Meghan Markle is concerned. Check yourselves, your a** is showing!

8. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

9. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Don't anyone dare say this looks fan made. Our members would never!

10. HeatherAnne

Oh please -- nobody's asses are showing, and I don't know which members you are referring to, I think she is very well liked around here -- as this is a fashion board and she dresses much better than Kate. I think your super fandom is showing, but this isn't a fan board.

Pretend for a second this wasn't done by Meghan Markle it would be RIPPED, and I mean RIPPED to shreds, for a September cover over the coma inducing boredom.

Plus the holier than though, I can't pose thing is a bunch of sh*t, never since Diana has a royal loved the limelight more. Own it, Markle.

11. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The mirror is for Meghan. So she can look at this and see herself in the cover. Let’s keep it real.

The font is a DISASTER. Whoever thought that was cute needs some quick reality check.

Very tragic.

Didn’t even bother using a female photographer, more so a British one

12. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

13. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

I don't mind the idea of this. But for a September issue, I would rather have just an entire mirror cover. At least it's fun!

Looking at the people on the cover, it would be extremely difficult to arrange a group shot. Still, I'm looking forward to this.

14. slayage

slayage Member

At first glance I thought this was some kind of a teaser for the actual September cover but as it turnt out, this is the cover.

I agree, the collage setup looks a little weird as a cover. But I’m not mad at this. I love what Markle is doing with her privilege. When I first heard that she is going to guest edit this issue I knew instantly that the cover isn’t going to fall in line with the whole ‘September fashion extravaganza’ thing. I mean, let’s be real.

The more I look at it, the more I start to like it. I like the concept, and as tacky as the mirror seems to be for you, I actually think it’s really nice.
    No bigger complaints from me, great job. :crush:

FashionMuseDior likes this.
  15. crmsnsnwflks

crmsnsnwflks Well-Known Member

By having an empowering message on their biggest issue of the year is GREAT, but THIS. DOES. NOT. LOOK. LIKE. A. FASHION. MAGAZINE. COVER. Especially when it's September.
    It's just wrong and I'm disappointed.

Bertrando3, vogue28, aracic and 6 others like this.
  16. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The question is, if this were the product of Anna Wintour, would the factors of (a) having a great cause; and (b) Meghan Markle, still matter? Or or or is it “Anna needs to be fired” right away?

This forum, since time immemorial, has been very critical when it comes to March/September (most) issues that even a cover that seems to be trying, is RIPPED to shreds for not being good enough. Heck, Alt even placed a beautiful transgender woman on her March cover, but that still got disregarded as pandering and disingenuous. However, just because this has a CAUSE, is INSPIRING, and is EDITED by Meghan Markle it is suddenly excused? Not on our watch.

It’s not fair to reduce fair comments against this tragic cover as one being directed against Meghan or to be dismissed as racist. May we not use the word loosely as it may lose/dilute its impact and true meaning.

Edit: upon looking at the women featured, guess Edward is still in his clout-chasing mode.

#36 MON, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  17. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

I like the idea and the concept, I have no issue with Meghan being guest editor at all but sadly the execution of it all just isn’t there for me.

Together these images make a weak cover. Individually I’m sure we would have had something stronger. I’m never a fan of collage covers sadly. It makes me think of Alex’s montage anniversary cover of past shots.

Perhaps we’ll get more covers at some point and either way it’s an issue I’ll certainly buy, I’m invested in finding out what content is inside. Vogue is a fashion magazine for sure but personally I like when the written is something worth reading.

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Don't you know? You're racist and/or sexist by default if you don't care for Meghan Markle on here. And for maximum effect, tarred with the same brush as a Mail reader. Same applies to Edward Enninful. So I will comment on the cover and save my constructive criticism for magazine threads less filled with fanaticism.

The cover as a whole is naturally unforgivable. Wouldnt something this be more suited to Women's month if it had to happen? I'm talking from a marketing perspective. Why September. the one month where magazines like Vogue will court a huge non-fashion audience? You have Angelica Cheung running a contest on Instagram for a follower to do Vogue China's art direction, now this. It seems editors either lost their marbles or playing at gimmicks to have their cover trend at any cost.

Even when I look at the tiles alone, there's maybe only one or two which are actually cover-worthy. Christy's and Naomi Scott's (??), not even Adut's one could work. And the mirror cover has been done by Alexandra. It was gimmicky then, as it is now.

19. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

Maybe Anna wants to give up on Meghan after this

20. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

I really don't care. Do you?