UK Vogue September 2019 : The ‘Forces for Change’ by Peter Lindbergh

Huh? please tell me this is a promo and not the actual cover! I was looking forward to it when I clicked on the thread but this sucks!

I think the whole collage group cover is messy and takes away from the “message”. I would of preferred to have multi actual group covers by Lindbergh, so it’s not so overwhelming & forced looking.

I thought it was going to be a multi cover -let's be real, those portraits ugly or not, work as individual covers- for the newstands, and the mirror one for the suscribers. This would work better and make the issue more "exclusive".

This is a power move, a great chess play from Edward.
He is showing more and more his ambition and doing it in a very clever way. I’m impressed even if I don’t think it was that difficult to do.

The cover is fine, it will have an impact much more from what it is attached to than to what it looks like...But at the same time it’s good that it’s not another portrait of a Royal in the countryside wearing jeans....(The Grimaldi are the only one doing Glamour you know...).

That being said, I don’t know why fashion magazines always put women in B&W or bare faces when they want to touch « serious topics ». I find it ridiculous...Like if they are ashamed to be fashion magazines.

Quintessentially British!

I'm so happy I got a Vogue cover! First, Time. Now, Vogue. And I'm not even trying.

Is the mirror square only for women? How about women who aren't a force of change? What about women who are forcing a change opposite of that being forced by Edward and Meghan?

The greatest achievement of my life so far is being able to look in the mirror every morning and be OK with the fact that I am entirely average in every respect. Women don't have to turn themselves into superheroes in order to be treated fairly as people.

If the idea was to gather so many interesting women why couldn´t have they done a group cover??? Don´t tell me it was a `schedule problem´: we all have seen many covers where they photoshop people in !

This would potentially have been gorgeous foldout cover: Everyday women/activists/fashion icons together for a purpose— and wearing HF. And I wouldn’t even mind the bulldozer virtual signalling as a concept. But they are too lazy to invest the effort (and the likely the budget) in a digital composition done right (not Leibowitz and whoever she uses for post for those awful VF covers!).

Instead, they go for this 1st-year design student design-your-own-cover on Windows 97— complete with a gimmick right out of a 12yo girl’s school project (God-- that mirror gimmick is straight out of a SNL skit LOL), and guest-edited by Fergie 2.0: And if anyone dares to criticize, then they’re shamed as a sexist hater. I can’t help but LOL at this sort of basic level of insincere marketing that HF has stooped to 2019, where Edward ensures his forced “good work” is hyped to the high heavens.

After reading Edwards editors letter, I’m even more disappointed by the no mentions of fashion content, it’s all about the gimmick of having Meghan etc. I had not quite realised I subscribed to ‘Time’ accidentally instead of Vogue.

The greatest achievement of my life so far is being able to look in the mirror every morning and be OK with the fact that I am entirely average in every respect. Women don't have to turn themselves into superheroes in order to be treated fairly as people.
I agree on this. Sometimes it looks like women (but also people in general) have to do such incredible things to gain respect from others and themselves. This is wrong. We can't be all followed by million people. Sometimes the simplest gesture towards a single person can be more effective than an action reflected to the entire world. We should celebrate simplicity more. Why should I be in awe of let's say Selma Hayek? She's a great actress and I'm sure she believes in her causes and her activism is doing good things. Shouldn't be more correct to celebrate her actions more than her person though? At the end of the day she goes back to her million dollars deals and products. I think this is the era of self obsession and the cover shows that. Edward being obsessed with his ambitious project of having Meghan Markle,the afro american actress turned royalty, as guest editor of his September issue. Meghan being self obsessed with showing her humble choice to select inspiring women on the cover instead of herself. All these women using their voices to do something good for others but also themselves.. I don't know it's all I so hypocritical for me. Sorry for the long and off-topic rant.

After reading Edwards editors letter, I’m even more disappointed by the no mentions of fashion content, it’s all about the gimmick of having Meghan etc. I had not quite realised I subscribed to ‘Time’ accidentally instead of Vogue.

Wait, what? Lol. But there are of course fashion content in the issue, right??

Wait, what? Lol. But there are of course fashion content in the issue, right??

I would hope so but even in Meghan's ‘editor letter’ she mention she had influence over the beauty content etc. Maybe I’ve just misread both editors letters but it read like the whole issue is themed around this idea of charity work etc. I can’t imagine from what I’ve read that we are going to get exciting fashion content.

I like it as I am tired of group shots or multi cover. People would have complained as they complained about Vogue Japan group shots and multi covers.

Meghan at least decided to put other women than herself like Kate Middleton did for the same publication.

There is no rules defined for fashion magazine and the line is quite blurred between a women's magazine and a fashion one imo. What matters to me is that the content is relevant, sometimes groundbreaking, sometimes just simply beautiful. Vogue being just a fashion magazine in 2019 has absolutely no sense when you have a competitor like M le Monde with a strong fashion content whereas it is a supplement.

Looking forward to see what is inside. Maybe the written content will be finally interesting.

^^^ Group shots can be executed supremely, memorably and most inspiringly. VJ’s offerings are the worst example and generally just lazy, since there’s never any connection and passion between the cast: Their Sept issue looks more lifeless than a class photo of a group of kids at an alternative school who think they’re too cool to be standing next to one another. It’s just poor execution.

People are more complex than just being an activist/feminist/politician. So it’s not about one or the other. The concept of inspiring women from all ages and demographics coming together is a great and important mood. But let’s be a tad more self-aware and remember that Vogue is a high fashion publication— that hustles overpriced, status-flaunting duds and beauty products. And the skillful fusion of telling a visually-stunning HF story that’s about womanhood and their camaraderie will always be an important one of substance when the team puts in the effort.

Edward seems to lack any finesse for someone who’s been so privileged, and immersed in the industry for over 30 years. If he hasn’t learned it by now, he never will. Or he’s just lazy

I haven’t read the comments in this thread because I’m not interested in the thinly veiled (or overt) racism, sexism, and various other phobias I’m sure are in these posts but that being said:

While not effective as a fashion cover, I think this cover positions both Megan and Edward very well in terms of their interests and what they represent (change) and what they want to put out into the world. Here’s the #NewVogue in all its substance - the majority if not all the women on the cover have been featured before in the magazine. Edward built the foundation and this cover is the result of that.

As such, I find it a very successful cover for that reason alone.

Also, this cover cements Edward and his Vogue as the Vogue of record. It’s time for some of you all in denial to come to this realization. Anna would never (she could but she won’t). Last year some of you all were incorrectly saying Edward’s wig was in space when US Vogue was released.

Now? Anna has disintegrated and her cells are floating across space as we speak. :lol: All you Anna stans better be praying to the fashion gods that Anna puts Meryl on the cover and not someone like Taylor :rofl:

It's not difficult to be in denial about the importance of Edward's Vogue when the other month, we had a photo of Idris Elba and his bride on the front - unless that was the wedding of the decade and we all didn't realise it.

This will be the second issue of British Vogue, I've purchased in my entire life. That glorious June issue with Madonna was the first. Thank you Edward, and kudos to Meghan! Job well done. x

The balls in your court Anna. I can't wait to see which one of your tired 5 favs, gets the September cover.:unsure:

The shots do look classic and nice but I wish there were individual multiple covers or fold in covers. Though that would have been tricky too considering that some of the subjects are not well known by the people that buy their mag.

People are more complex than just being an activist/feminist/politician. So it’s not about one or the other. The concept of inspiring women from all ages and demographics coming together is a great and important mood. But let’s be a tad more self-aware and remember that Vogue is a high fashion publication— that hustles overpriced, status-flaunting duds and beauty products. And the skillful fusion of telling a visually-stunning HF story that’s about womanhood and their camaraderie will always be an important one of substance when the team puts in the effort.

Edward seems to lack any finesse for someone who’s been so privileged, and immersed in the industry for over 30 years. If he hasn’t learned it by now, he never will. Or he’s just lazy
This. It would have made this issue more impactful. The B&W bare-faced photos to signal that everything is going to be very serious are trite. It’s even a bit offensive towards their readers who look forward to this month's content.
But,as Meghan says in her editor's letter, "for this issue, I imagined, why would we swim in the shallow end of the pool when we could go to the deep end? A metaphor for life, as well as for this issue. Let’s be braver. Let’s go a bit deeper."
:rolleyes:

I like it as I am tired of group shots or multi cover. People would have complained as they complained about Vogue Japan group shots and multi covers.

Meghan at least decided to put other women than herself like Kate Middleton did for the same publication.

There is no rules defined for fashion magazine and the line is quite blurred between a women's magazine and a fashion one imo. What matters to me is that the content is relevant, sometimes groundbreaking, sometimes just simply beautiful. Vogue being just a fashion magazine in 2019 has absolutely no sense when you have a competitor like M le Monde with a strong fashion content whereas it is a supplement.

Looking forward to see what is inside. Maybe the written content will be finally interesting.
I would have liked to see her posing for some photos and promoting British/Commonwealth designers. It would have also been a nice way to share a body-positive message,shortly after her pregnancy.
Certainly,it would have been less "boisterous" than the Vanity Fair cover she did before (?) her engagement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->