Hair: Paul Hanlon
Make-up: Miranda Joyce
Models: Lily Nova & Ulrikke Høyer

Vogue Paris Digital Edition via Zorka

her instagram @ulrikkehoeyer

What Do Louis Vuitton and Professional Tennis Have in Common? Ulrikke Høyer
MARCH 18, 2016 3:58 PM
by JANELLE OKWODU

Any model will tell you that the fashion industry requires some serious endurance, so it should come as no surprise that many of modeling’s biggest stars got their start in the world of sports. Take Victoria’s Secret Angel Elsa Hosk, who played pro basketball back home in Sweden; Gigi and Bella Hadid, who have competed as equestrians; or Doutzen Kroes, who was a champion speed skater. The latest athlete to wind up on the runway is Ulrikke Høyer, a Danish beauty who made her debut at Louis Vuitton’s Fall show. In the collection’s streetwise gear, Høyer made for an ideal Ghesquière girl, but her roots are in tennis, which she has played professionally since before she was a teenager. “When I was younger, the only thing that mattered to me was tennis,” says Hoyer. “But when I was 15, I realized that clothes could make you stand out from the crowd.”

Høyer, who began playing tennis at age 8, admits that she knew the sport would be an important part of her life from the moment she picked up a racket, an experience she describes as akin to “instantly falling in love.” She dedicated herself to her calling, competing in events across Europe. A fan of tennis legends like Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova, Høyer grew up with dreams of grand slams. “I remember I hung up big posters of [Nadal and Sharapova], and I always bought Nike products so that I would look like Maria,” says Høyer. “Even though they aren’t my idols anymore, I always cheer for them when I see them playing.”
These days, Høyer’s focus may be on the runways rather than the courts, but the model has found that her history as an athlete informs her approach. “Although they are two very different platforms, there are so many things I have learned through tennis that I can pass on in any other work-related situation,” says Høyer. “I learned that to achieve my goals, you need to work hard and be dedicated.” For Høyer, modeling and tennis really aren’t all that different; both require tenacity and a bit of healthy competition. “I often describe the fashion industry, and modeling, as an elite sport. It is a competitive world where it’s about being the most-sought-after model,” says Høyer. “In fashion, as in sports, there are ups and downs. You lose a tennis match and it feels a bit like when you’re at a casting for a dream job and don’t get it. Part of your talent in sports or as a model is the drive to continue despite failure. To succeed, one needs to have a lot of self-discipline and to be strong-minded.”

Given her self-discipline, one of the biggest changes for Høyer has been altering her training routine, going from daily practice to the slightly less demanding pace of workout required by the runway. “As a model, it is not about getting big muscles, it is more about keeping your body lean and in balance,” she says. “When I have lots of energy, I do running intervals, whereas if I am tired, I do yoga classes. I think choosing your training based on your mood will help you keep up the motivation.”

With her exclusive spot at Vuitton, Høyer will be a girl to watch in the coming months, and judging by the fun she had backstage Instagramming with Zendaya and Snapchatting for her agency, Høyer has made it her mission to enjoy every moment. “Walking the Louis Vuitton show in Paris is by far one of the greatest experiences I have had as a model,” says Høyer. “I was also lucky to meet and work closely with Nicolas and the great team at Louis Vuitton. I wouldn’t mind walking that show again . . .” But in the meantime, she’s got her sights set on the rest of fashion: “I’m very ambitious in whatever I do, so whether it is modeling or in my personal life, I will always do my best to get what I want.” Spoken like a champ.
http://www.vogue.com/13417951/ulrikke-hoyer-vuitton-model-tennis-player/

Louis Vuitton Cruise 2017 - Rio de Janeiro

vogue

Christopher Kane - Resort 2017

vogue

T Magazine Beauty Issue 2016

PHOTOGRAPHER: KARIM SADLI
MODELS: LUISANA GONZÁLEZ, ANNIE TICE, JING WEN, SHELBY HAYES, SARAH DAHL, ULRIKKE HØYER, LORENA MARASCHI, ROOS ABELS, RIANNE VAN ROMPAEY
STYLING: MARIE-AMÉLIE SAUVÉ
HAIR: DAMIEN BOISSINOT
MAKE-UP: PETER PHILIPS
NAILS: TYPHAINE KERSUAL

IN HQ.

VISUALIZING.FASHION

Elie Saab Couture F/W 2016.17 Paris (O)

theimpression

Valentino Haute Couture fw17 - Paris

Atelier Versace Haute Couture fw17 - Paris

Backstage at Elie Saab

vogue & livingly