Underrated Designers

Originally posted by jude@Jan 7th, 2004 - 4:08 am
1.shawn
2. mayle
3.lotta
3.huzzi by rokhsan m.
welcome to the FS jude :flower:
could you please post links or photos on your suggested designers?
i have absolutely no idea of their work :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena+Jan 7th, 2004 - 3:18 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Jan 7th, 2004 - 3:18 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-jude@Jan 7th, 2004 - 4:08 am
1.shawn
2. mayle
3.lotta
3.huzzi by rokhsan m.
welcome to the FS jude :flower:
could you please post links or photos on your suggested designers?
i have absolutely no idea of their work :ninja: [/b][/quote]
Most fo them (or all) are from L.A. i think i posted soem of their work a while ago

1. Olivier Theyskens
2. Alber Elbaz
3. Justin Thornton & Thea Bregazzi @ Preen
4. Rick Owens
5. Raf Simons

Hey, all. This is my first post. I'm glad to be here, I've been looking for a normal fashion forum for a long time, and stumbled upon this one by chance. I looked through it and seems that I'll be right at home here. :lol:

I think the most underated designers (in NYC) are

Ann Demeulemeester (especially the men's line)
Raf Simons
John Richmond (I can't even think of one store that carries him)
Xavier Delcour
Dirk Bikkimbergs
Husseyn Chalayan

I was surprised to see Margiela in some of your lists. If anything I think he's highly overrated. His stuff is all over the place and I think it's pretty boring, honestly. Love the label though...

P.S. So who is here from NYC? Are there regional forums on this website? I wanted to post a poll (probably been done before) about favorite retail spots....

Faust
Century 21 in NYC carries John Richmond almost every season

i definitely think rafael lopez is really underrated. his designs are better executed and edgier than those of julien mcdonald (i think i can make a comparison there)... and junya watanabe, i mean, even with the support of kawakubo, he still doesn't get the hype he deserves... i :heart: i specially loved his spring 2003 collection..

Originally posted by Sugo@Jan 28th, 2004 - 7:52 pm
Faust
Century 21 in NYC carries John Richmond almost every season
I stand corrected (and i do have some of his pieces from century)! I meant clothes from the current season, not from a year ago :wink:

Originally posted by faust@Jan 28th, 2004 - 1:11 pm
I was surprised to see Margiela in some of your lists. If anything I think he's highly overrated. His stuff is all over the place and I think it's pretty boring, honestly. Love the label though...
Well,if you compare him with the rest of the field,like say,Galliano,Jacobs or McQueen he is highly underrated. He just doesn't recieve the same attention as most do of that calibre. As for it being boring,looking at the way he's able to transform ordinary classics into something unique. The way he cuts and the overall tailoring....he isn't that boring. Margiela has a very distinctive and quirky voice and a many people appreciate that about his work. And most young designers,including those you mention look up to him.

Originally posted by Scott@Jan 29th, 2004 - 10:55 am
Well,if you compare him with the rest of the field,like say,Galliano,Jacobs or McQueen he is highly underrated. He just doesn't recieve the same attention as most do of that calibre. As for it being boring,looking at the way he's able to transform ordinary classics into something unique. The way he cuts and the overall tailoring....he isn't that boring. Margiela has a very distinctive and quirky voice and a many people appreciate that about his work. And most young designers,including those you mention look up to him.
Don't forget that the designers you mentioned work for HUGE commercial powerhouses (granted Margiela worked for Hermes but he never made an impact there) and are cranked up by them just like movie stars by hollywood (and let me say this for the first, and not last time here, I CAN'T STAND JACOBS!!!). Margiela chooses to keep the low profile, which I think is cool. I was judging by the clothes itself. So much of it stays the same over the easons, especially men's, and seems very simple, almost uniform. Yet, it's all over the stores (I can think of at least 6) in NYC. I first got excited about him when I found his collection years ago, it looked fresh (especially the painted jeans and the clever label). But over the seasons nothing seemed to change much, so I kind of got bored with it. I personally can not get excited about the same sweater or pants over and over again. His cut (for me) is hit or miss. I do own a few impeccable pieces by him though. Anyway, this of course, is my personal opinion.

Originally posted by faust+Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:43 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:43 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Jan 29th, 2004 - 10:55 am
Don't forget that the designers you mentioned work for HUGE commercial powerhouses (granted Margiela worked for Hermes but he never made an impact there) and are cranked up by them just like movie stars by hollywood (and let me say this for the first, and not last time here, I CAN'T STAND JACOBS!!!). Margiela chooses to keep the low profile, which I think is cool. I was judging by the clothes itself. So much of it stays the same over the easons, especially men's, and seems very simple, almost uniform. Yet, it's all over the stores (I can think of at least 6) in NYC. I first got excited about him when I found his collection years ago, it looked fresh (especially the painted jeans and the clever label). But over the seasons nothing seemed to change much, so I kind of got bored with it. I personally can not get excited about the same sweater or pants over and over again. His cut (for me) is hit or miss. I do own a few impeccable pieces by him though. Anyway, this of course, is my personal opinion. [/b][/quote]
I don't really think of '10' as a fashion collection,to be honest. Like his lines for '0' and '6'(for women) its more like an artisans collection in which he designs staples or a simple wardrobe for men. So every season will rehash all the components from the previous. Men love it though because its not fussy;its easy to wear,plus,it maintains a certain element of quirkiness that will forever be Martin Margiela. Of course,I love the tailored pieces(I have a pair of his trousers which I adore) but truthfully I love his womenswear more so than the men's. That's the aspect which I think is more underrated compared with other certain designers.

I wouldn't call the likes of Demeulemeester "underrated" - they're held in very high regard among the fashion types.

Dirk Schonberger for me is truly underrated, even among those in the know, probably because his company started with menswear and has only enter womenswear quite recently. But he's one of my favourite designers around, and I find his work MUCH more attractive than the other Belgian Dirk, Bikkembergs.

hello and a very warm welcome to tFS Faust :flower:

I wanted to post a poll (probably been done before) about favorite retail spots..

btw i dont think we have a regional retail poll for NY, feel free to start up one at the 'shop till you drop' area B)

Originally posted by Lena@Feb 2nd, 2004 - 3:24 pm
hello and a very warm welcome to tFS Faust :flower:

I wanted to post a poll (probably been done before) about favorite retail spots..

btw i dont think we have a regional retail poll for NY, feel free to start up one at the 'shop till you drop' area B)
Thank you!

I found a thread in the shoppng forum for NYC, I guess I won't bother with the poll just yet :wink:

Is this your picture in the Avatar?! You look 100% like someone I know, but I understand you are not from NYC.

not me on the avatar faust , but not too far from my style-mood at the moment :ninja:

Was there a topic like this already? If so..please tell me and just lock this up..cause I'm not sure if there was or not :innocent:

Sooo..I just wanted to 'discover' some fantastic designers that are under-hyped (haha I just made up a phrase B)) but have fantastic designs..etc..
I'm only familiar with the very 'mainstream' stuff..that's why I'm asking you guys about this..
So thanks for any help :flower:

there is definitely a topic on this in designers and collections...
why not do a search?...

cause it shows up a lot of topics that aren't really what I'm looking for..
nvm, then, lock this thread..I'll search again :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->