Updos

Discussion in 'Hair Care' started by laisla, Dec 24, 2009.

1. laisla

laisla New Member

surprised we dont already have a thread dedicated solely to updos.

So anyway, my hair is finally long enough to do something with so I have been scouring the 'net looking for styles to try out. Here's a few of my favourites:

The Milkmaid Braid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

portwallpaper.com | lyellnyc.com

^I wear this style most days for college, everyone keeps commenting on how nice it looks ^_^

heres how i do it:
    1. Separate hair into two even bunches just above your ears and secure with a band the same colour as you hair.

2. braid/plait one of the bunches and then bring it up to the top of your head and secure it with two kirby grips [cross/overlap them to make them more secure]

3. repeat on second bunch making sure it meets with the other braid in the centre.

simple

I always think it looks prettier if its not too neat and tidy so I tend to loosen bits so theres a few strands of hair hanging down.

A variation on the style:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    look.co.uk

1. Allow hair to dry naturally after washing in order to retain your natural wave, apply a palm sized amount of styling moose to help define texture.

2. Next, take the front section of the hair and part over to the side, plaiting in a downward direction. For those with unruly fringes try gripping back into centre sections with Kirby grips.

3. Then, simply pull back your ungroomed hair and twist into a messy chignon allowing unruly pieces of hair to flow freely around the neck and hairline.

4. Finally, spray a light mist of hairspray all over the head for hold and accessorise with flower and/or diamante accent grips for a feminine feel.

2. laisla

laisla New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    bellasugar.com

by Pasquale Ferrante

1. First, apply Davines Defining Texturizer to give the hair body. (This isn't a super-slick hairstyle. Then make two ponytail fishtail braids.

2. Wrap each braid around to the other side of the head so one lays on top of the other.

3. Then, pin the braids to the nape like a bun.

4. Pull out some random pieces to achieve the messy look.

5. Secure the style. Pasquale used Davines Defining Invisible Hairspray to keep everything in place.

3. laisla

laisla New Member

[​IMG]
    elleuk.com

by Adam Reed
    1 Prep damp hair with a blow drying cream like Shu Uemura Satin Design, £19.50, and rough dry to allow subtle movement and ultra shine.

2 Take small sections of hair, above each ear and then either side of the crown, or wherever you would like the plaits to sit, then loosely braid them and secure at the ends.

3 Section the remaining hair into a side part, sweeping the top section back from the crown, and start to loosely twist from behind the ears across into the nape and secure using Kirby grips.

4 Draw the braids back into the twist and secure with the grips.

5 Mist a small amount of hairspray, Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer, £19.50, to secure.

4. laisla

laisla New Member

[​IMG]
    harpersbazaar.com

by Giannandrea

1. "Start with wet hair, and then blow it dry about halfway so that it's still damp," says Giannandrea. "Next, apply a volumizing mousse throughout, and continue to dry without a brush." Try Tresemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse ($3.99). "Once hair is dry, apply a bit of molding paste to the bottom three quarters of the hair to give it texture and shine." Try L'Oréal Paris Studio Line Unkempt Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer ($4.99).

2. "Give hair a soft, undefined side part. In this case, it went from left to right," he notes.

3. There will be one braided section on the top, two on the side, and a few in the back. Start by braiding the top section, using a flexible hair spray like L'Oréal Professionnel Infinium ($18) to hold hair in place. "French braid each section, keeping the braid as close to the head as possible. Once all of the sections are done, twist them together in the back and secure with pins," he says. "Finally, use your fingers to open the braids up so they look a bit undone."

5. ChloeFrancoise

ChloeFrancoise New Member

Does anyone with thick hair every do the milkmaid braids? I've wanted to try that but I have such think hair and it's a lot of hair so I feel like it's too much.

6. nextnewface

nextnewface New Member

I can't seem to be able to do this. No matter how hard I try, it never works. Maybe it's because I have thick, almost one length hair? :cry:

7. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

^ :ermm: I have thick hair, and I figured it would hold a braid better than fine hair that would fall right out of a pony tail. :lol: But for you NNF, I think one length hair would work better because little shorter strands would fall right out of the style.

I can't wait to try the milkmaid braid. :woot:

8. nextnewface

nextnewface New Member

Yeah, I probably can't do it because of my clumsy hands... :cry:

I'd love to sport that do for NYE... I'll ask my sister, and if it works out, I'll post a pic + info on how I managed it ^_^

9. em9rald

em9rald New Member

Thank You so much for these laisla :woot:. I where my hair a lot in the the Milkmade style and I really love it so much better than a regular pony tale. I'm terrible at doing updos so these will help a lot, I'm really dying to try the one in Post 2.

10. satin chic

satin chic New Member

11. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

The problem I had with the milkmaid braids because when I would find a base for my braids, it was not covered by the rest of my hair. I mean, everyone could see my roots after I lifted the braid up over my head.

My brother said to not pull it so hard over, to instead loosely pull it over so that the braid hangs a bit and covers my roots so that no one can see the base. ^_^

12. Lamia

Lamia Feels Like Heaven

Those are really beautiful and inspiring updo's,but I really cannot do them by myself.I tried many times,but my hair is really thick,and kinda slippery(don't know how to explain it) and if I put a little spray before it it gets all greasy.For now I'd rather go to my stylist If I want a hairstyle like this from time to time.

13. seanutbutter

seanutbutter the crying of humanity

Your hair sounds almost identical to mine! Bobby pins and other clips often slip right out of my hair, so most updos are out of the question unless I cake on the hair spray (also out of the question). I'm able to style my hair into milkmaid braids, but I've never actually worn it out in public. Maybe I'll try it someday, who knows.

14. Lamia

Lamia Feels Like Heaven

^I know,and that's so depressing.I always tought that it's something about me,that I'm not doing it right because it works out on everyone,but It looks like it's not that case.

15. The_Ida

The_Ida In Bloom

Helpful vid on the French twist:

16. laisla

laisla New Member

(click on each of the images to enlarge them :flower: )

S/S 2010

Christopher Kane (hair by by Paul Hanlon)
    [​IMG]

Versus
    [​IMG]

Karl Lagerfeld
    [​IMG]

elleuk.com

17. laisla

laisla New Member

How To: Messy Ballerina Bun
    by beautybanter.com

tools:
    [​IMG]

Step 1: Blow dry hair upside down. Use a diffuser to give texture to flat hair.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Wrap 1" sections around 1" curling iron to add bend
    *TIP* leave ends out for a more messy effect

[​IMG]

Step 3: Spritz a bit of texture spray or hair spray onto the loosely curled hair. Beach water from the ocean actually works best. It gives hair that messy texture.
    Product Pick: Joico Texture Spray

[​IMG]

Step 4: Rake fingers through hair - don't use a brush as you want to keep the style messy - and secure in a high ponytail.
    *TIP* place the pony off center; just above one of your eyes for an asymmetrical effect

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Step 5: Tease the ponytail to give volume

[​IMG][​IMG]

Step 6: Leave one inch section out on bottom. Twist remaining hair into a tight bun, clock wise.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Step 7: Secure lopsided bun with large bobby pins - make sure to have the ends messy for a grunge effect. Don't want to be too "pretty, perfect ballerina."

[​IMG][​IMG]

Step 8: Either wrap extra hair around once and pin it or leave it out for a funky tail.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. laisla

laisla New Member

How To: Twisted Chignon
    by beautybanter.com

Here is Philip Pelusi and his Tela design team's take on the sexy trend:
    As seen at Kati Stern’s Venexiana Mercedes Benz Spring/ Summer 2010 Fashion Show

[​IMG]

1. Make a side part and take three inches of the hair closest to the front and pin to the side.
    2. Take another three inches from the crown of the head, right behind the section of hair you just marked off and pin that to the side as well.
    3. You should be left with two sections of hair on both sides of your head.
    4. Take the hair from the right section, and twist hair into a low ponytail, you should go from your temple to the nape of your neck.
    5. Take the hair from the left section, and do the same but make sure you keep hair on an angle.
    6. You should be left with 2 “rolls” on each side of you head.
    7. With the hair in the low ponytail, you should coil pieces together and allow them to fold into each other, just use pins to hold hair in place.
    8. Take the top section from the crown of your head and twist that piece loosely like a rope and pin it to your head.
    9. Take the last section of hair and fold the hair into the rolls with your finger and pin all loose pieces with your finger.

[​IMG]

19. laisla

laisla New Member

This thread has basically become my personal online storage for favourite hairstyles :lol:

anyway here are a few more sources of inspiration

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

look.co.uk

20. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

:doh: I tried doing milkmaid braids the other night, but my hair just isn't long enough.

Soooo, you need to have ultra long hair for it to work!