Urban Fashion Special

Thanks for all the pics Equana. I think urban is the term you used. I think thats why I love living in new york the cultures always clash and the people you think wear this actually are wearing this. Its interesting but thanks again for the pics some I like some I don't. :flower: :heart: ya!

Wigga Jigga.
not a fan of this style of clothing.

Originally posted by eguana+Nov 30th, 2003 - 12:24 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eguana @ Nov 30th, 2003 - 12:24 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Nov 28th, 2003 - 12:00 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-eguana
@Nov 28th, 2003 - 11:39 am
"70's meets teenager raiding a thrift store
.........this is the definition of ghetto!  :huh:

Then I dont see the ghetto in the actual "ghetto clothing" first posted. :wacko:
aCTUALLY SPACE STARTED THE PHRASE ghetto I SAID URBAN. :rolleyes:
SO YOU FINALLY AGREE THAT THE CAMPAIGNS POSTED ARE SIMILAR TO THE MARC!I WIN!! :flower: [/b][/quote]
well I doutn think you "win" any thing, youa re entiteld to you opinion but tahts it.

I think what almostfamosu was saying is that she dosnt see any conection between urban/ghetto and 70's teenage thrift store style.

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Dec 2nd, 2003 - 3:26 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Dec 2nd, 2003 - 3:26 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by eguana@Nov 30th, 2003 - 12:24 am
Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Nov 28th, 2003 - 12:00 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-eguana
@Nov 28th, 2003 - 11:39 am
"70's meets teenager raiding a thrift store
.........this is the definition of ghetto!  :huh:

Then I dont see the ghetto in the actual "ghetto clothing" first posted. :wacko:

aCTUALLY SPACE STARTED THE PHRASE ghetto I SAID URBAN. :rolleyes:
SO YOU FINALLY AGREE THAT THE CAMPAIGNS POSTED ARE SIMILAR TO THE MARC!I WIN!! :flower:
well I doutn think you "win" any thing, youa re entiteld to you opinion but tahts it.

I think what almostfamosu was saying is that she dosnt see any conection between urban/ghetto and 70's teenage thrift store style. [/b][/quote]
so,anyway i guess this forum is officially tired.It must end

Eguana please tell me you aren't leaving us? If I am misunderstanding then forgive me sometimes my english reading isn't so great. I hope thats not what you mean. We all have differences of opinions and some things that get said on here I just shrug my shoulders at. The overall vibe of this forum is why I come. :flower:

I always :heart: your posts.

hahaha what a funny thread....just thought id give it a push!!!lol!!

^I know. i just read it for the first time and geez. Some people have a stick where it shouldn't be and just can't seem to let go of things and enjoy the thread.:innocent:

Forget the terms urban and ghetto , I find people started using them because the term 'black' became to pc or made them feel uncomfortable or it's used to describe something people perhaps don't understand. I'm not throwing those accusations out at anyone in this thread , I'm just speaking from my experience with those particular words and what they seem to connote. I'd be careful of this board appearing close minded perhaps a little ignorant or dismissive of anything different considering some of the reactions in the chonga/chola thread and this thread also.

Moving the thread foward photographer Jamel Shabazz is a great reference point for learning more about 70s B-Boy and early hip-hop culture.
jamel3vd8.jpg

jamel2qz2.jpg

jameltw9.jpg

amazon.com

Forget the terms urban and ghetto , I find people started using them because the term 'black' became to pc or made them feel uncomfortable or it's used to describe something people perhaps don't understand. I'm not throwing those accusations out at anyone in this thread , I'm just speaking from my experience with those particular words and what they seem to connote. I'd be careful of this board appearing close minded perhaps a little ignorant or dismissive of anything different considering some of the reactions in the chonga/chola thread and this thread also.

Just realised I wrote to instead of too and it's too late to edit. Sorry !

^haha. Cute that you went through the trouble but i don't think anyone noticed.

Those last few pics posted remind me of West Side Story. WHich makes me think this "Urban Fashion Special" thread could apply to urban fashion throughout the decades.

just costumes but still....
the%20jets.jpg

winona.edu
viva_westside_01.jpg

vivalewes.com

What about Rebel Without a Cause?
rebel_without_a_cause_xl_01.jpg

channel4.tv/film...just click properties

I know those are costumes from movies but they are supposed to reflect urban wear from the time they are set in right? I think a lot of elements of urban style carry throughout the decades such as jeans, athletic shoes, leather jackets, white tee or "wifebeater" tank, not everything carries but it's interesting to see how somethings are like urban classics. And in my opinion all of these looks are trying to say "don't mess with me, I'm tough, I don't care about rules, blablabla..."

No definitely !

People feel the need to belong but also identify with themselves and their peers fashion is the ultimate tool for achieving that.

wow i love those denim jackets in post 54 am going to make myself one!! thanks for posting

i actually like this style. but i'd be laughed at if i wore it -- by my family, since it doesn't match my personality. but i really admire women who can pull it off -- the less trashier side that is.

Now see... people usually complain about just about every aspect of hip-hop music. This is the music I grown up with and still like [most of] this day and age. I'm not real big on these hip-hop influenced fashion, but I can at least relate to the music and the fashion style. And being here in Houston, a city that's usually deemed a real hip-hop city, and in being a a young black man, I can appreciate most of the urban fashion I've seen around the city. Even my brother has some Rocawear. He did get me a Fubu polo shirt this past Christmas.

People who really appreciate fashion are able to look beyond some of the basic exclusives and think about fashion in terms of good and bad for peoples' styles. I know most people would prefer rock over hip-hop (I'm the opposite), but fashion with a hip-hop theme has some advantages. Some of the women's clothing tends to favor a sexy, contemporary woman. Don't be surprised coming here to Houston to see some ladies sporting Apple Bottoms jeans (not very hard to find since they have the only jean pockets shaped like apples. Jennifer Lopez appeared on MTV's TRL sporting some sexy jeans paired with some cute peep-toe pumps. Some of the classier urban fashions tend to cater to the sexy lady never afraid to show off her curves. Perverted as the previous sentence may sound, some hip-hop style fashion really reveals the beauty of most ladies. * More casual styles tend to do more of the same thing. More downscale urban clothing tends to be more comfortable. I don't have anything like very wide-leg jeans or anything, but I do tend to feel a bit comfortable wearing my Fubu polo shirt or something like that.

Could this catch on and be a trend? Maybe. It's almost mainstream here in Houston where you have people into Houston folk like Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Swishahouse, Slim Thug, UGK, and stuff like that. But in the rest of the country? Perhaps. Maybe a movement of hip-hop would get rid of some of the rock sellouts. Nevermind the stereotypes associated with hip-hop. At least most people will have something to love with these hip-hop style fashions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->