US Elle August 2020 : Bella Hadid by Gigi Hadid

Stick to your day job, Gigi! I can't believe Nina, who have such high standards when it comes to photography, actually approved this. It's not even close to being cover-worthy, let alone IG worthy. And then there's still the layout.

It seems Alex White isn't all that.....

3379d6d9-ffe7-4ba5-80ad-22abc2d7e743-jpeg.1154041

What in the what, what is this? Gigi could have just asked Zayn to post something with regards to 1D's tenth anniversary than sending this photo to Nina.

elleusa.com

Well, this is appalling isn't it. Her neck angle in the cover photo is so awkward and the rest don't even look like iPhone photography.

It’s magazine editors who are ruining magazines by lowering their standard and they are the same who, in panels or discussion, talk about how they missed the era where they were free, when it was about creativity and stuff!

I’m always bringing Emmanuelle into the mix but she was able to shoot her magazine in Paris, with local models, celebrities, using what was around her. I mean Nathaniel photographed a cover in 2020!
She could have asked Natalia to be photographed by Antoine Arnault in their fancy Parisian place! But no, she has standard!

Celebrity culture has ruined the magazine industry in the US. And the only time when magazines have the opportunity to make a change, to be daring....They go for the obvious: celebrity culture!

I refuse to believe that there’s no one more interesting in NYC or Hollywood than a Hadid. And yes, I know and get the business aspect of it but at the time when everybody is doing bad anyway, can we at least try something fresh?!

She could have asked Natalia to be photographed by Antoine Arnault in their fancy Parisian place! But no, she has standard!

As much as I can't stand her direction and her firm grip on that magazine, yes, I agree. Especially when you point ^ out because an American editor would not have thought twice before going that route.

It's one thing for Nina to come up with this 'brilliant' idea, and maybe even Gan because he was partly responsible for that Kim/Kanye selfie concept years back for Bazaar. But Alex White, who is supposed to be so respected in the industry? This is how you want to kick off your new role? LOL.

They didn’t even bother to do the retouch... How lazy.

Wow, famous friends and family taking pics of each other in their homes during quarantine. How groundbreaking! How utterly original!!! I wonder why nobody thought of this concept before, huh! What a brilliant editor, I'm completely stunned.

For f*cks sake, it's August. I literally can't take it anymore

Everything's so substandard. Put someone like Gisele in a similar setting and she'd be modelling like the future of fashion depended on her. It probably does.

Chris Colls must be living for this cover and edit, digital or not.

Stick to your day job, Gigi! I can't believe Nina, who have such high standards when it comes to photography, actually approved this. It's not even close to being cover-worthy, let alone IG worthy. And then there's still the layout.

It seems Alex White isn't all that.....

High standards have gone out of the window a while ago. Carin Backoff? Zoey Grossman? Matthew Kristall? It seems to me that the magazine doesn't have a real identity anymore...It's constantly fluctuating.
What can Alex White do? Her strongest relationships are with Dan Jackson, Christian MacDonald and I&V. None of these people will or should shoot for Elle US and none of the photographers that she hasn't worked with in the past, and built a relationship with, would suddenly decided to shoot for Elle.
So I am not sure that she has much leverage at Elle.

some of these aren’t even Instagram worthy

I guess the goal is to have a celebrity 'photographer' shooting a celebrity model. Standards as we know them do not apply any longer, not since social media has taken over the industry.
These two people alone have 87 million followers on IG. Sadly this is all that matters.
I don't think anyone involved was chasing any standard, the publishing side was eyeing the followers and the Hadid sisters were looking to have some fun, and by looking at the images, they certainly enjoyed themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"