US Elle July 2018 : Nicki Minaj by Karl Lagerfeld

Wow, striking! This will definitely draw attention at the newsstands. I don't like the angle, but the styling looks great. And I'm over Nicki's permanently fierce expression, so this slightly softened look and faint smile looks refreshing. Don't listen to her music, but one can't deny she's rather beautiful and Elle did that justice here!

Also mad about the newfound fashion prestige for US Elle! It's obviously all on Gan, but this is a nice little coup for them. I like that he kept Karl for Nicki and not Kendall (done before), Kim (same) or Charlize (Dior.)

Usually i am allergic to any magazine messing with their masthead (looking at you VF!!)that trend should have stayed in the 80s. But!! This really works, what a truly refreshing cover.

I do love the cover, but "reclaims her throne"??? Don’t tell me it’s from Cardi B lol.

Wow, I was expecting something really bad but Karl surprised me with this one. I like it!

I'm aware of the world we are living in, but really? And it's not just Minaj, but it's her and Karl and everything about it.

Surprisingly simple but effective.

The Story Behind the Shoot

When ELLE creative director Stephen Gan approached Nicki Minaj with the idea of being photographed by fashion legend Karl Lagerfeld, the rapper nearly lost her mind. “I wanted to cry,” says Minaj, who flew to Paris in April for the cover shoot. “All I do is wear Chanel.” The duo had met once before, at a dinner thrown by Gan, “but it wasn’t like we became best friends at that dinner. He was cordial and nice, and we took pictures. But this time I felt like he and I grew up together. Like we were BFFs.” Lagerfeld shot Minaj at Studio 7L in Paris’s Seventh Arrondissement. “He made himself so available to me,” she says. “I thought he was going to be a snob, but in fact, he was so personable, looking me in my eyes and asking me, ‘Do you like this?’” Minaj’s favorite setup, pictured above, is an instant classic. “Karl was sleeping on the couch, and Stephen said, ‘Walk up to him, and try to wake him up.’ I had on this really sexy dress, so I walked up to him and he opened his eyes, and I was looking at him all Marilyn Monroe–type, and everybody in the room started shouting, ‘Stay, stay, take this picture, take this picture.’ It’s so iconic. After that, I couldn’t think straight anymore. I was like, Oh my God, I couldn’t…it felt like a dream.”

Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld
Celebrity: Nicki Minaj
Hair: Kim Kimble
Makeup: Tom Pecheux
Manicure: Chloé Desmarchelier

elle.com

At least the cover is great...

Gan is using his connections to the fullest! We can expect a Hedi Slimane for Beyoncé next?
I like this much like I liked her story with Marie Amelie Sauve...

But the ed is so weird. It’s like if they went the day he was shooting his Chanel campaign and somehow at the end they took some pictures.
It’s hard to believe that this was prepared...

I wonder if Nicki will bless her with her presence during Couture’s week. The last time she was at PFW she had all the attention she wanted.

At least trim the beard! If the shoot went down the way Nicki described then I predict he'll use her for the brand soon.

Editorial is a snoozefest however. It lacks the tongue-in-the-cheek quirk to make it look vaguely interesting. Couldn't it be like something similar to Marc Jacobs x Naomi by Jean Paul Goude?

Also, how is it possible to have such a long weave?????

What a disappointing ed. On what planet is that shot of her with Karl “Iconic”?!!! Please, spare me the hyperbole!!

What a disappointing ed. On what planet is that shot of her with Karl “Iconic”?!!! Please, spare me the hyperbole!!

I like the picture for different reasons - Cleopatra incarnate staring over an ageing Robin. But overall forgettable. It's nice for her to have this shoot on her resume, but she should rather get back to working with Klein now.

If only the contents of US Elle could make as much impact as its covers do.

Can't think of a worst combination. That pic of Minaj and Karl is probably the epitome of everything i find aesthetically repulsive in fashion. It's like they are lifeless. I can't see that the trend surgically constructed women shows no signs of abating.

I love the cover, it looks like a good one from the 80's

LOVE the cover, but the editorial is a let down. Nicki is not high fashion at all. She’s just fashion. Plus, the cover doesn’t go along with the ed. And I don’t like the tag line on the cover, because she was never the queen of rap.

Really great cover; the editorial is lazy. I still feel someone could do more with Nicki editorially, can't understood why she never graced the cover of Interview :(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->