US Elle July 2019 : Gisele Bündchen, Naomi Campbell, Doutzen Kroes & Anja Rubik by Chris Colls

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Jun 6, 2019.

1. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Why does the styling have to reflect their causes? And more importantly how should the styling reflect their causes?

Doutzen in safari wear or something with an elephant print or with tusk earrings? Anja in (dirty) swim wear or something ocean blue? Gisele in tropical prints or tropical green? And Naomi in evening wear?

Sounds a bit gimmicky and unnecessary.

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

'Doutzen in safari wear or something with an elephant print or with tusk earrings?'
    upload_2019-6-7_15-55-22.jpeg

'Anja in (dirty) swim wear or something ocean blue?'
    upload_2019-6-7_15-55-33.jpeg

'Gisele in tropical prints or tropical green?'
    upload_2019-6-7_15-55-44.jpeg upload_2019-6-7_15-55-53.jpeg upload_2019-6-7_15-56-2.jpeg

And Naomi in evening wear?
    [​IMG]

Hawtcelebs

3. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

In all of the above cases (excluding Naomi of course, because her charity being charities is ridiculous) it’s more the setting of the shot that’s in line with the girls causes, not necessarily the styling.

And I fail to see why what the models are wearing should correspond with their causes. Both i-D and Vogue Germany didn’t do it last year and I don’t see why Elle should do it now. You don’t put a model in a Black Panther out fit when she wants to talk about racial equality.

4. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

For starters, it could have been at the locations that reflect the causes they work on. And yes, why not have a styling that is more reflective of the causes, maybe not as straightforward as safari wear but the elements of it. It just comes across a bit shallow that's all.

Gimmicky? okay, that's your opinion. This does nothing for me anyway. It is hard to take it seriously, that's all.

5. KissMiss

6. KissMiss

Goodness gracious! It's just my opinion. "what bothers me..." should be indicative of that. I am not telling anyone what they should or should not do. I am just telling you how something that's been done makes me feel. You can try to convince me in thinking opposite but no need to make me feel bad about it as I believe my comment was pretty inoffensive:-D

7. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, it wasn’t my intention to make you feel bad at all. We all have different opinions and we all like to express them. That’s why we are on this discussion forum. With the emphasis on discussion. That’s all.

8. KissMiss

Of course, we all have different ways of expressing our opinions. I guess that's how I felt but it's not a big deal. As you noted correctly, we are here for the purpose of discussion.

Benn98 likes this.
  9. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

What makes me feel good is that it could be worse: for ex. Vogue Mexico named Hailey Baldwin (I refuse to use her new last name) one of the activist models of this era in their latest issue.

mikel likes this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Probably says more about society than it does about the actual models, because you know, activism is 'so hot right now', and I'm saying that in my Mugatu voice. But I do wish some magazines would rise above it all instead of pandering to populism like this.

11. Sensation

Sensation V.I.P.

It's good to see models on the cover, but I don't like the cover lines.

12. StylishDreaming

StylishDreaming New Member

So much wasted potential. The only cover I truly enjoy is Gisele's. Anja comes close, but like someone already pointed out, she just looks sad and pitiful. I find the taglines to be unnecessary - same with "The Time is Now" which serves no purpose whatsoever.

Perickles likes this.
  13. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

I don't even like Gisele but her cover is the only one that is acceptable. I love Anja's Ed.

14. KateTheGreatest

KateTheGreatest Well-Known Member

Is that the whole ed on first page? They get one or two pictures and the cover and that's it?
    Was hoping to see more, it would be a shame if they have these great models and they'd make it that short ...

15. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Weird and wonderful at the same time, like when Glenda Bailey would spontaneously give us model covers for American Harper's Bazaar (Anna Ewers, Daria Werbowy and Lara Stone).

You have four fantastic models, a great photographer who continues to rise the ranks and Nina Garcia who has propelled Elle to new heights. Yet how come the covers are so... weak?

16. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

Okaaaaay I've finally worked out why I took such a dislike to the Doutzen cover! It's like a poor man's version of Raquel Z for Narciso by Narciso Rodriguez.

Benn98 likes this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I imagine it has something to do with the page count. But when you pour that much money into such an expensive cast, you need to capitalise on that.

KateTheGreatest likes this.
  18. Ana Mots

Ana Mots New Member

19. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

Got this in the mail today. 142 pages.

Review:

"The Green Team"
    P: Chris Colls
    S: Ilona Hamer
    M: Gisele, Naomi, Doutzen, Anja

"Freeze Frame:
    P: Cole Sprouse
    S: Natasha Hoyt
    M: Estella Boersma
    shot in Iceland

MagFan and Benn98 like this.
  20. Rigida

Rigida Well-Known Member

Flicked through this issue and the Green Team ed is so underwhelming, its only 12 pages long. Gisele and Naomi got 4 pages each while Doutzen and Anja has to settle with 2. Meanwhile that Estella ed is around 20 pages long. It is supposed to be the new season ed but somehow it doesn’t excite me at all.