US Elle March 2018 : Angelina Jolie by Mariano Vivanco

8eight

Reaction score
source: business of fashion

Attachments

• elle-march-2018-500x613.jpg
    elle-march-2018-500x613.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 72
What a bold cover for Angelina. We all know she is very protective of her image so this glamorous explosion of color is a welcome surprise.

I wonder if this is a worldwide deal like with Beyonce and Rihanna? I don't see the point in her going to Elle otherwise.

I wonder who shot this: as a photography the lighting and definition of the shot is not that amazing, her hair could have looked much better lighted properly, I know I´m a photographer. I do like the portrait though, she looks amazing as usual.

Don't generally like her covers, but this looks stunning. Very glossy and glamorous, something new for Elle. I probably would go for a more fashion-forward cover for March though.

If this is a global deal then it means we are in for yet another reprint! :shock:

I don't see the point in her going to Elle otherwise.

Well, she certainly won't be going to VF anymore, lol.

Angelina looks gorgeous!

WOW! :heart:

HQ Cover:

Btw, here's what says BoF:

Nina Garcia Is Back at Elle: How Much Has Changed?

The new editor-in-chief tells BoF why her return to the title has personal significance, and how she plans to amplify the brand’s core values.

NEW YORK, United States — For Nina Garcia, Elle magazine is the one that got away. "You know the boyfriend that you are always pining for, [thinking] what would it have been like had I stayed?" she told BoF last week. Garcia was in her office on the 24th floor of Hearst Tower, nearly ten years after she exited the magazine, and about five months since she was named Elle's editor-in-chief.

The former creative director of Marie Claire is one of several new editors settling in at a new title in 2018, following the departures of some of the industry's longest-serving leaders last autumn. In this case, Robbie Myers stepped down after editing American Elle for 17 years and cementing it as the fashion publication for the intellectual woman — for whom style is just one of many cultural interests. For her first spring issue, Garcia decided on a bright graphic cover featuring actress and humanitarian Angelina Jolie, in honour of International Women's Day.

Garcia's return to the title is particularly significant because the first time she worked at Elle, she was fired. "I don't presume to know the exact motivations for my dismissal, but it happened at a critical moment of change in the industry," she wrote in her first letter in the March 2018 issue. The success of Project Runway, the reality show competition on which she has been a judge since its debut in 2004, meant that her departure and subsequent hiring at Marie Claire was closely covered. "I'll admit, the shift was scary at first — I never sought fame," she continued.

In the following years, Garcia always followed Elle's history and evolution. (In 2011, Hearst acquired Elle's parent company Hachette Filipacchi Media.) "I understand the DNA of this brand so thoroughly, I understand its core values." From her point of view, that DNA is about optimism, inclusion, boldness, joy and showcasing "badass" women who are brave role models. The fashion, meanwhile, has a European sensibility — "It's not so precious, it's really about personal style."

The title also comes with a bigger platform than Marie Claire. With a circulation of 1.1 million, according to the Alliance for Audited Media, Elle has the largest reach of Hearst's fashion-focused American titles, Marie Claire and Harper's Bazaar (Cosmopolitan is still larger with a circulation of 3 million.) In 2016, Elle averaged 1 million subscriptions and 70,500 single copy sales per month. In the same year, Vogue average 1.1 million subscriptions and 140,000 single copy sales per month. "It's an opportunity to speak to a wider audience," she says.

The issue represents not a redesign, but a "refresh," which Garcia says will continue to expand throughout the year. "There's no struggling here or trying to reinvent the brand…We are very authentic to now. We've been [so] for a very long time. We've been inclusive all throughout our history." Garcia has no plans to change that. "I'm here to amplify that, I'm here to bring it back if we have lost any of it."

She does, however, want to bring more colour and clarity to Elle's pages. Her first few covers are already a break from the past, which were predominately white and grey. For January, Garcia chose an image of Zoe Kravitz against a bright blue background; for February, Margot Robbie on a beach.

Jolie is a certainly a safer choice for a cover star, but inside she is interviewed by former Secretary of State John Kerry and photographed with her children. "I care that she is a role model and that she's going the extra mile," says Garcia.

Garcia's partner in evolving the visual identity is Stephen Gan, the editor of V magazine and former creative director at Harper's Bazaar, and her most high-profile hire so far. The position was one of her first priorities at Elle, and one she was thinking about the day after the public announcement of her new title back in September when she sat next to Gan at the Marc Jacobs Spring 2018 show.

"We just started talking and all of a sudden the light bulb went… who knows pop culture and luxury, who has the vision, who can anticipate trends before they happen?" she said, adding that they both felt the magazine was exemplified by an image of a healthy woman running on a beach: sports is an important theme.

Garcia also needed an executive editor with a "good grasp on the journalism part," and found that in former editorial director of Bloomberg Pursuits Emma Rosenblum and deputy editor Katie Connor, who came from Cosmopolitan. "My biggest goal is to really inspire and give women the right message and the right voices," says Garcia. Martin Hoops was also hired from Vogue as design director.

While Garcia was mum on the changes still coming to Elle, she explained that she is approaching it as a global brand that exists online and around the world. Hearst's digital properties are separate from its print titles: Elle.com is lead by Leah Chernikoff, who reports to Hearst Digital Media president Troy Young, and reaches over 8 million unique users per month.

"I've got to think of this as a brand that has 46 editions internationally. And it's powerful," says Garcia. "It's not really only about print, but how can this be extended and how can that message be communicated and amplified on all platforms? This is the beginning."

Plus, there is the fact that Garcia, who hails from Colombia, marks the first Latina woman to lead a major American fashion title. "I want to inspire more Latinas to come up," she said. "It feels good."

businessoffashion.com/articles/news-analysis/nina-garcia-is-back-at-elle-how-much-has-changed

Thanks for posting the article, Zorka! All she should be focusing on is the fashion content of the magazine. Robbie's team is more than capable enough to manage the articles. US Elle is, as we speak, more renowned for their written content than their fashion imagery. To modify or remove that component will mean she'll use a huge chunk of her existing readers.

That is a beautiful simple cover, but is that actual text layout? I doubt it, the newstands cover must be different!

Great 80's glamazon vibe. Learn from this please Ms Alt..:rolleyes:

She does, however, want to bring more colour and clarity to Elle's pages. Her first few covers are already a break from the past, which were predominately white and grey.
This is certainly true - but for me, the magazine is starting to feel empty. Once I get beyond the cover, there's not much substance in the magazine anymore, even though it seems familiar. Like a house clearance has occurred, but nobody's moved in yet to replace the people you'd got to know and like.

Beauty finally comes. I agree with Bertrando3 about lighting, they could do more, but is still a nice cover.

What a fantastic cover! Angelina looks incredibly beautiful and all the simplicity involved is quite stunning.

Great for Andres Kudacki as I'm sure she handpicked him (is he related to Paola? They're both Argenines.)
I'm surprised Elle got her to do two sittings, something she never done before, the woman is more busier than Angela Merkel. But it's more impressive that Elle went for such a glossy image. Hopefully there will be more from the Vivanco shoot for international editions to choose from.

UHQs:

Photographer: Andres Kudacki
Stylist: Samira Nasr
Hair: Adam Campbell
Make-Up: Matin
Model/Celebrity: Angelina Jolie

WHAT ANGELINA JOLIE IS FIGHTING FOR NOW

By John Kerry

Angelina Jolie does not have a project to promote. She’s neither starring in, nor directing, a March film. Bucking the standard reasons for doing press, the Academy Award–winning megastar is on this month’s cover of ELLE to draw attention to an occasion that doesn’t come with a red carpet: International Women’s Day (March 8).

For the better part of the last decade, the 42-year-old has devoted herself to shedding light on women’s rights, or lack thereof, across the globe. Serving as a goodwill ambassador and special envoy to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, she’s completed nearly 60 field missions, including visits to Lebanon, Jordan, and Iraq. As cofounder of the British government’s Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative, she’s met with r*pe survivors in Rwanda and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Days before her ELLE shoot, the Guardian published Jolie’s call to action against gender-based violence, co-authored with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg. Despite all her advocacy, Jolie confesses she’s always been reticent when it comes to politics. Still, she recognizes that political action can sometimes offer a more direct route to changing things for the better.

To that end, the following story is a thoughtful conversation between her and longtime politician John Kerry. Jolie first met the 74-year-old statesman—a Vietnam veteran, presidential candidate, and, most recently, U.S. secretary of state—five years ago at the London G8 Summit. It’s a frigid December morning when the two reconnect at the Ritz-Carlton in New York. Kerry, who unexpectedly bumped into his daughter Vanessa on the street, brought her along for a brief hello. The four youngest of Jolie’s six children will arrive later. Jolie is in town to accept the Global Citizen of the Year award from the United Nations Correspondents Association and to do some Christmas shopping. They’re both looking forward to 2018, when Jolie will speak to students at Yale’s Jackson Institute for Global Affairs, where the former secretary oversees the Kerry Initiative. Kerry, in turn, has agreed to speak at the London School of Economics, where Jolie is a visiting professor.

Here, a small preview of some of the huge issues they are working tirelessly to remedy. Listen in.

Angelina Jolie: Thank you for speaking with me for International Women’s Day.

John Kerry: My pleasure. How’s your family?

AJ: All right. The kids will be here soon. You have grandkids now?

JK: I am having the best time being a granddad. They’re so smart, it’s scary.

AJ: They really are, just their clarity....

JK: I’ve just come back from a climate summit in Paris. I know this is something you feel strongly about, why we need to be engaged globally.

AJ: That’s one of the things I’d love to talk to you about. There is this question of, can you be a citizen of the world and still be a patriot? It shouldn’t even be a question.

JK: It’s something we need to talk more about. What it means to be an American. We need to do a better job of explaining why all Americans should feel proud of the things that we have done in countries around the world.

AJ: I’m very patriotic, as I know you are. For me, it goes hand in hand with being proud of what America stands for. For instance, I’m the only person in my house who was born in America.

JK: I wasn’t aware of that.

AJ: It’s only because we are a country based on people of different backgrounds and faiths coming together that I can have this family. My daughters have the freedoms they have because of being American. And we are at our best when we are fighting for others to have the same rights. Particularly other women.

JK: The challenge is describing how a conflict in North Africa or wherever else relates to all of us. How it impacts migration, terrorism, the economy.

AJ: The way I see it, even if you are a person who doesn’t want to have to care about international issues, you are still affected. Stepping back is dangerous.

JK: Last year, we had a discussion at the Jackson Institute at Yale on climate change. When you say “Save the planet” to most people, their eyes glaze over. But again, it’s about how it impacts all of us—especially jobs. What if you are a farmer and things won’t grow in certain places? What does it mean to have more frequent and destructive superstorms? [As U.S. secretary of state, Kerry negotiated and signed the Paris climate accord in 2016. Last June, Trump announced that the U.S. intends pull out in 2020.]

AJ: It must be a frustrating time, with America withdrawing from the climate agreement.

JK: The truth is, more than 90 cities, including New York, Miami, and Los Angeles, are 100 percent committed to live by the Paris agreement. The American people have not pulled out. Climate change negatively affects all the issues you’re working on—violence against women, refugees.

AJ: There are already more people displaced by climate change than by war. Was the environment what drew you into politics?

JK: When I came back from Vietnam, I didn’t immediately protest the war. I was still processing it. But I did become part of the first Earth Day, in 1970. We got 20 million people to come out, and from that came the Clean Air Act, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, and the EPA. Guess who signed the EPA into law? Richard Nixon. Why? Because it was a voting issue. Then, in the election of 1974, we targeted 12 members of Congress, labeling them the “dirty dozen.” Seven of them lost their seats. Boom. Everybody was shocked.

AJ: I was quite anti-politics when I was young. I started working on human-rights issues and meeting refugees and survivors mostly because I wanted to learn. I also had this romantic idea that I would get my boots on and be a humanitarian. But at a certain point, you realize that’s not enough. You have to find the root of the problem. And that, so often, brings you back to the law and politics. For instance, I kept meeting refugees who were survivors of systematic r*pe—r*pe used as a weapon. Yet there were virtually no convictions. It fired me up to start working with governments and lawmakers. When it comes down to it, we still treat violence against women as a lesser crime.

JK: It’s shameful.

AJ: You have to identify what will make that change. Find the people in politics you can work with, and hold them to their promises.

JK: That’s democracy: It’s about accountability. You have to fight and keep pushing. Do you feel like you’ve been effective?

AJ: In some countries, sexual violence is less of a taboo discussion. It’s something more people expect their leaders to act on. Over 150 countries have signed a commitment to end impunity for war-zone r*pe. There are new teams in place to gather evidence and support prosecutions. I was in Kenya last summer as UN peacekeeping troops received new training, since peacekeepers have been part of the problem. We’re working with NATO on training, protection, and getting more women in the military. But there is so far to go.

JK: When I was a young prosecutor, a lot of people didn’t believe that violence against women was a crime. We tried to chip away at that old thinking by expanding counseling programs for r*pe victims and hiring and promoting more women prosecutors.

AJ: That’s exactly it: changing thinking as well as laws. I think of how hard women fought to get us to where we are today. Everything counts, from the way you hold yourself in your daily life and educate yourself on your own rights, to solidarity with other women around the world.

elle.com/culture/celebrities/a16642591/angelina-jolie-march-cover-2018/

I take this anyday over the weak Alicia Vikander on the US Vogue cover , Angelina is lovely here

Breathtaking cover.

Fantastic article. This is a woman of substance, intellect, influence and massive massive heart. I'd take her cover story over anybody's.

Flawless. I love how the image speaks for itself and this simple layout was a really smart creative decision.

And im happy for Nina, I love her as a person, her personal style is very interesting and bold, hope she still the good job and bring us the good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->