US Elle November 2009 : Katie Holmes by Richard Bailey

Here is a quick review..
Elle Movie Magic
Ph: Richard Bailey
Featuring Katie Holmes, Renee Zellweger, Robin Wright Penn, Zoe Saldana, Julie Andrews, Julianne Moore, Emily Blunt, and casting director Bonnie Timmermann.
Image of each actress + a one page article. Mostly talking about what roles they have done, quotes and a few q&a.

Bonnie Timmermann, Hollywood Icon
" She saw the star in Julia Roberts and the Spicoli in Sean Penn. Introducing the woman who launched a thousand faces"
An article on Bonnie, mainly discussing who she casted + 3 pages of scanned polaroids of actors early on in their career (Jennifer Connelly, George Clooney, Uma Thurman, Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johansson, etc lots more).

A Foreign Affair

Ph: Stephen Shore
Stylist: Katie Lanphear
Model: Tiiu Kuik

The Great Escape

Ph: Michelangelo di Battista
Stylist: Samuel Francois
Model: Amber Valleta

++
Editorial and article on Roberto Cavalli's new club in Dubai
Editorial showcasing bags of the season.
Small one page article on Valentino's new designers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very excited by the Michelangelo di Battista ed. Thanks for the ed.

^ Amber looks ravishing in the Michelangelo ed, bathed in sunlight in the outdoors,

The early polaroids of the actors are interesting, strangely Natalie looked so
much like Britney and Sandra looked like a Jackson :ninja::lol:

I'd love to see Amber's ed! Am such a bif fan of hers and surrealseven says she looks ravishing. Really can't wait for it!

A week ago I moved and the mail hasn't been coming even though I did the change of address thing so I'm afraid I'm not going to get this issue! :'(

Thanks for the review! How many pages does this have?

Here's some quick snaps of Amber's editorial. Sorry for the flash... it's dark in here :ninja:

source | snapshots by MMA

Thanks a million, MMA, for Amber's snaps. The editorial is really quite good.

The last issue of Elle I bought was the 2007 Women in Hollywood issue with Scarlett Johansson. I may have to buy this one as well, though it annoys me that I'll have to get Kate Holmes on the cover. She's only as famous as she is because of who she married. How does that make her an ideal Women in Hollywood cover girl?

Also, Renee looks STUNNING in her photos which is really odd, since normally I don't think she's very attractive.

There's a lot of Katie Holmes hate around. She was an actress, who got some not bad covers really, before she married Mr Cruise, and in my opinion she's not a bad actress, and she can look really quiet beautiful. So fair play to her on having the cover.

The last issue of Elle I bought was the 2007 Women in Hollywood issue with Scarlett Johansson. I may have to buy this one as well, though it annoys me that I'll have to get Kate Holmes on the cover. She's only as famous as she is because of who she married. How does that make her an ideal Women in Hollywood cover girl?

Also, Renee looks STUNNING in her photos which is really odd, since normally I don't think she's very attractive.

katie holmes 'filmography

Katie went to Los Angeles to audition for movies. Luckily, on her second audition, she was cast in the movie, The Ice Storm (1997), directed by Ang Lee. Katie's character was Libbets Casey, a rich New Yorker, who is pursued by two of the main characters. It was a small part, but it marked the beginning of her professional acting career.
During her first year with "Dawson's Creek" (1998), Katie was able to do two movies, Disturbing Behavior (1998) and Go (1999), and, for the former, she won Best Breakthrough Female Performance in the 1999 MTV Movie Awards. The following year, she starred next to Michael Douglas in Wonder Boys (2000), playing Hannah Green, a published author and a boarder at her teacher's (Douglas) house, who has a crush on him, and tries to seduce him.
Her first leading role came in 2002, with Abandon (2002). She played a college student named Katie Burke, who is haunted by the mysterious disappearance of her boyfriend who vanished two years prior.
With "Dawson's Creek" (1998) coming to a close after six years in May of 2003, it was a bittersweet thing for all the cast. Accustomed to being in North Carolina filming ten months out of a year, the cast members now had the opportunity to make more movies. Katie demonstrated this in October, when she had two new movies, Pieces of April (2003) and The Singing Detective (2003), coming out in that month alone. Pieces of April (2003) is a charming Thanksgiving movie about April (Holmes), the black sheep of her family, who wants to give her family the perfect dinner before her mother passes on. The Singing Detective (2003) is a dark musical where the main character (Robert Downey Jr.) is a writer in a hospital for skin conditions who writes a dark world of seduction and murder in his mind. Katie Holmes plays the kind Nurse Mills who tends to his every need. She also gets to lip-sing and dance in this movie. Her 2004 movie schedule included the upcoming romantic movie First Daughter (2004), in which she plays the President's (Michael Keaton) daughter, Samantha, who wants to go to college without any Secret Service tagging along. Currently filming for release in 2005 is Batman Begins (2005), a new Batman movie where Katie plays Rachel Dawes, a childhood sweetheart and love interest to Batman/Bruce Wayne.

The Extra Man (2010) with kevin kline, paul dano John C. Reilly directed by Shari Springer Berman
Robert Pulcini

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011 with guy price produced by guillermo del toro

she is not just MRS CRUISE

I said "only as famous AS SHE IS", not "only famous". I'm familiar with her film-work. Anyone who claims that she would be getting half the press (including covers like this one) she does were she not married to him would be 100% wrong, imo. Yeah, she was on Dawson's Creek, but that ended years ago and she was never a "respected actress" or something because of that role. I've seen "The Ice Storm" and her part is very small. I've also seen "Wonder Boys" and "Batman Begins". She was ok in the former, but Batman fans hated her in Batman and she was replaced with another actress to play her character in the sequel. Yeah, she's an actress and she had some fame before Tom Cruise, but she's not a very good actress, she's only had 1 hit movie (and her performance is widely regarded as the worst in the film), she's not a fashion icon (at least not in my eyes), and she's not particularly beautiful.

The vast majority of her current fame is because of Tom Cruise. She has yet to prove herself as a serious actress or even a box office draw. So yeah, I am sick of seeing her face everywhere. If people can complain about Lindsay Lohan getting covers (you know, the one who is the sole cause of her own fame, has a fashion line, works in fashion, etc) then why can't I complain about Kate Holmes?

A FOREIGN AFFAIR
Model: Tiiu Kuik
Hair: Julian Salako
Makeup: Ashley Ward
Stylist: Kate Lanphear
Photographer: Stephen Shore

source | scanned by MMA

Tiiu :wub: .. what a lovely surprise, and the closeup is more than needed, so pretty. :heart:
Not fond of the styling but I like the result.. the contrast of cultures, colors.. and weathers even, the freshness that Tiiu brings into the picture, and it's amazing how Kate has to work with all these trendy pieces but somehow manages to blend them with time and make the looks seem irreplaceable.

Thanks for the scans, MMA!!.

Tiiu :wub: .. what a lovely surprise, and the closeup is more than needed, so pretty. :heart:
Not fond of the styling but I like the result.. the contrast of cultures, colors.. and weathers even, the freshness that Tiiu brings into the picture, and it's amazing how Kate has to work with all these trendy pieces but somehow manages to blend them with time and make the looks seem irreplaceable.

Thanks for the scans, MMA!!.

You're welcome MP! I agree... Tiiu looked so stunning in that closeup I just had to scan it :heart: Kate's styling here is a lot different than some of her past work [she doesn't style every issue] so I'm happy to see that. A progression that I hope carries on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->