US Harper’s Bazaar Summer 2020 by Mario Sorrenti

I also like Graham's cover the most (or only), but I'm afraid that the sudden, extreme change in their art-direction might do more harm than good. They either go irrelevant like Allure or completely gone like Glamour.

The commercial glamour I've come to associate with HB is totally absent here, but this was shot during a lockdown and global pandemic, and it's several steps above what several more respected magazines have been releasing, so I'll take it.

That said, I hope and think this isn't going to be the aesthetic from now on. I believe Samira Nasr will try to refine HB over time, rather than overhaul it immediately.

The Christy's & Ashley's covers are fine & other are a bunch of boring photos appropiate for Time or any political magazine.

Everything about this is just off, its like it was rushed. Everything is so plain, the posing, and the expressions are off. And you have an all-star cast with Sorrenti and Christy Turlington, but everything is just quite mediocre. I hope this is just something they have to get out the door before the new editor in chief comes into play.

I like it...and let’s not forget all these issues are a transitioning until they find the exact identity for this new era. They should follow Porter’s elegance with a commercial touch with a HF approach...

Remeberm this is America. people buy magazines at the supermarket.

I certainly don't miss the cheesy tackiness of Glenda at all, but I must admit these covers look like they could be from any of the international editions. Ashley's, in particular, would fit in perfectly with Harper's Bazaar Australia if they ever start doing print editions again.

If I'm brutally honest, only Christy and Ashley's shots can pass as actual covers. They've not even bothered with the rest and will then wonder why people don't buy their covers.

I wonder if they've even printed the others?

^ My guess is they will either widely print and distribute Christy or Ashley only.

Some of these covers look very very pedestrian, I'm only here for Christy's

US Harper's Bazaar Summer 2020

Women of Hope

Photographer: Mario Sorrenti
Stylist: George Cortina
Cast: Christy Turlington, Ashley Graham, Allyson Felix, Lauren Underwood, Dr. Leana Wen, Melissa DeRosa

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Last edited:

Cynthia Erivo is the Voice We Need Now

Photographer & Cast: Cynthia Erivo
Stylist: Miguel Enamorado

Through Fashion's Eyes

Cast: Alessandro Michele (shot by partner), Stella McCartney (self portrait), Pierpaolo Piccioli (by atelier)

They had Cynthia Erivo and didn't use her for a cover?

2569eb5597fe9f2995ee5c94df0ea270.jpg

my own meme gallery

Everyone in that Sorrenti editorial besides Christy looks like an afterthought with these single portraits that we've also already seen on respective covers. I understand the 'Women of Hope' narrative, but it's not impactful when you give one (although supermodel) woman eight pages and the rest is just a forgettable blur at the end. It's a pretty weak 'redesign' issue, but given the certain circumstances and the lack of quality content in magazines overall, it's not that bad.

Christy's cover grew on me since I last saw it (although I wish it was slightly more zoomed in) and she's certainly the highlight of this issue for me. The rest is pretty forgettable, but I guess it's decent effort (again, considering that a certain Vogue put concrete and stacks of hay on their covers).

Fashion magazines will fill their pages with big talk about democratic standards of beauty.... yet somehow they still end up relying on an old-fashioned supermodel to carry their cover at the newsstand.

Reactions: KoV
Everyone in that Sorrenti editorial besides Christy looks like an afterthought with these single portraits that we've also already seen on respective covers. I understand the 'Women of Hope' narrative, but it's not impactful when you give one (although supermodel) woman eight pages and the rest is just a forgettable blur at the end. It's a pretty weak 'redesign' issue, but given the certain circumstances and the lack of quality content in magazines overall, it's not that bad.

Christy's cover grew on me since I last saw it (although I wish it was slightly more zoomed in) and she's certainly the highlight of this issue for me. The rest is pretty forgettable, but I guess it's decent effort (again, considering that a certain Vogue put concrete and stacks of hay on their covers).

To be fair to the main story, the layout isn’t exactly as Benn’s posted-- and doesn't look nearly as shoehorned in, nor as insensitive; The other women are a part of a feature story that follows Christy’s fashions story. Although a half-thoughtful editor and AD would have the common sense to separate a fashions story from a feature story and give them separate title pages… But it’s American Bazaar after all (and the gaudy art direction is still present…).

(And LOL @that insufferable trio for “Through Fashion’s Eyes”.)

Stella's portrait is so out of focus I thought Rianne van Rompaey hair was just thinning. At this point Condé and Hearst should finance an iniciative for designers and models to learn the basics of portrait photography, it's getting painful at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->