US Harper's Bazaar August 2003 : Carmen Kass by Peter Lindbergh

that girl

Reaction score
review of Aug. 2003 Bazaar

Best editorial: "New Takes on Tweed" Carmen Kass shot by Peter Lindbergh. When Lindbergh is at his best, as on these evocative Suburban small town photos of Carmen, he is as good as any photographer around. Carmen is shot here in what looks like Columbia, SC, a deserted but clean suburban smalltown setting that resembles a hopper-esque solitude, a Walker Evans timelessness, or the way William eggleston found great beauty in the middle class rural & urban South.
Bazaar has several strong "Fall's Best" stories, and this one excels, with Lindbergh's pics, the Anytown USA setting which is somehow haunting,a nd a great performance from Cramen. like lindbergh, when Carmen's at her best she is definitely one of the best models today. cool smoky eye makeup by gucci westman and carmens skin has that tawny, goldish glow of her best pics. great fall looks too, incl tweeds by armani, LV, givenchy, miu miu & chanel. several pics in & around :"Columbia Diner" so I'm assuming this is SC. High fashion, ethereal carmen walking around deserted smalltown has similar vibe to great movie GHOST WORLD and Lindbergh takes fashion photography to a cinematic, narrative level with these haunting pics. One suggestion, while Carmen looks beautiful here, I think Anne V or Maja would also be great in this type of shoot.

2nd best edit: "Sultry" Julie Henderson in 4 page beauty story photo'd by David Sims. While brief, these intense closeups on Julie's awesome face recall the riskier photo framing & special effects in Bazaar around 1993 when Fabien Baron was art directing a much more forward and chancier HB. Julie is a beautiful model, freckled like angie lindvall but with cheeks & lips like rie and sharp Fillippa-like nose, and beach babe looking dirty blonde hair. I'd lie to see more of julie, she's great in these beauty closeups. I'd also like to see Daria, Julia stegner & louise pedersen in beauty type shots.

3rd best edit:"The New Suits" Elise Crombez shot by patrick demarchelier. It's cool how elise is embraced by US fash mags so quickly & prominently, including stories in Vogue, W & Bazaar. She is an excellent model, with the railthin stature of jacquetta but the distinctive and modern sensuality of her fellow belgian models. In fact, her look is sometimes TOO edgy, but demarchelier shoots elise very well in most of these pics, studio and some Battery park looking sites. Another excellent fall clothing edit, incl jackets by armani, gucci, dior & versace and suits by D&G, chanel & Valentino. interesting poses by elise who is seemingly at the top of the fashion world already, doubly impressive with her edgy belgian look. I think amanda moore would be great for a story like this, i hope she's seen more in US.

4th best edit: "The Looks of the Season" Liya leads off the fall section in a quality shoot by Tesh. While we see Liya a lot in Vogue, Tesh actually works her better here in HB, and there's no denying Liya is one of the top girls in the world, always beautiful, always superb in fash edits. More great fall looks incl Yamamoto hoondstooth jacket & pants, DK tweed suit, celine white trench, prada coat & skirt. every outfit here is either black white or grey, excelent sophisticated fall looks and HB led off the edit section with this story because every pic is quality. I'd like to see Liisa Winkler or MariaCarla in a studio suit shoot like this too.

HOROSCOPE: Why doesn't W have a horoscope column anymore? need know now.
HB scope: "Travel will bring lasting friendships...white leather heels accentuate your friendly personality" Always worked for me!

COVER STORY: Debra messing shot by demarchelier. as usual I pay no attention to actress stories in fash mags anymore, but having said that, Debra looks ok in HB, espec Oribe's lustrous hair on cover & gucci artful dress. Obvs all these actress stories monthly in HB &Vogue are aimed at middle american TV/movie fans but I have a radical thought that if the mags would put MODELS on the cover again, a whole new group of fashion fans would return to buying & reading these mags. The actress-mania has TURNED off many fashion consumers & HB would do well to bring them back with an ALL-MODEL cover & edit format. Room for improvement.

HOW TO LIVE: Jade Jagger in Ibiza. money is freedom and jade is lucky enough to live year-round on "the white island," not my first choice for island getaway but still beautiful & fun filled.

HOT ADS
As fall approaches, some new campaigns are debuted in the aug HB and they include these notable & sometimes sexy pics:

Hottest: Gisele for VS. wow shot from behind gis is flexing her gorgeous pale fanny in barely there black lace panty. forget about adriana, when gisele shows her incredible round fanny in VS panty like this shes the ONLY VS heiny model. delicious. what a fanny!!!!

Tie for Hottest ad: Kate Moss for Missoni!! awesome new missoni ads with Kate styled EXACTLY like Brigitte bardot 1961!!!!! blonde flowing hair, shining bronze lips, smoky eyes, WHOA! kate is back in a big way with these pics!! Much closer to real BB than Gissy's W BB edit {which was Great too} Kate REALLY captures the essence of bardot's slinky feline sensuality. Missoni has great ads (think of Gissy's swim pics, so sexy!!!!} and these Kate pics are as good as any images in this HB, incl Carmen by Lindbergh & Sims beauty story.

Louise Pedersen for the Gap, looks amazing in white halter tee. while elise is more famous, I am more excited about louise, I have been hypnotised by her from day 1 and she even makes a gap ad memorable. this is the 'clean fresh' louise & shes just as good at that as she is playing the mysterious, darker, femme fatale in cutting edge stories.

Angie in skintight Dior red PVC bondage trousers! I'm serious! whoa Dior styles angie sexy & sl*tty and she does it VERY well! Hot!!
angie also seen this month in DKNY "new york stories" film preview, another of Donna's "movies." Is angie in the video?? looks nice in red coat on 7th ave but I like angie best sexy like Dior above or best ofal in swim or lingerie, the kittenish, sexy side of angie which IS IN there when she lets it out.

Daria for Prada. wow Daria like elise has just exploded so fast and she looks great in long prada coat. another dark femme fatale.

karen elson pretty in pink at Escada. A monkey with pink furrs!! yummmssszzzz

J Lo for LV. Not so great, tries for similar strong woman anger swinging great LV bag with mean face but doesn't act like a model that well! shes better at acting like a singer.

dewi in gucci, wearing brown leather & holding baby. funny ad, with glacial dewi accessorized by baby but not as sexy & deep as past gucci's with georgina or louise & carmen. I'd use dewi as more of a grace kelly, Newtonian uber-blonde. her shes just mommy in brown leather.

QUICK PICS:

backstage & runway pics:

anne V & eugenia at Prada.

anouck the sweeest thing in mcqueen at CFDA. How about more anouck edits, incl swim & lingerie?? YUMMMMMZZZSSSSSS

jessy miller & trish backtoback backstage at Chaenel. sooooo cute!!

Raquel Zimmerman at Valentino. gorgeous aryan, want swim & longerie stories with raquel NOW!!!!

VERDICT: thumbs up an excellent Bazaar, super photography, fall clothes, solid model choices. Thankfully this month glenda laid off the "Lucky" like shopping mania and the 50-60-70-something women's demographic catering. recipe for success? more edgy & new models, more swimwear & lingerie, more risky photography and a more daring layout/art style. there's life in the old beast yet. *cin*cin*

Harper's Bazaar used to be my favorite fashion magazine, but after Liz Tilburry died...it just wasn't the same anymore. :( The Demarchelier pics were still beautiful but the articles and the layout wasn't as good anymore. The magazine also got less and less pages, even for the march and september issues. So I stopped buying it (except for a few issues). I switched to W (plus all the others I love).
But you made me currious to give it another chance. Thanks for that. :flower: .

thanks cedric. I also loved the HB of a decade ago, Fabien baron's amazing arty layouts & some WOW!! photos.

the aug ish has those great lindbergh carmen kass pics tho

its worth a look.

have a great weekend

this girl

:o i think i will check this issue out.

i do like elise crombez , and she has been in plenty us mags :shock: always enjoy seeing her face

i saw the new jlo advert in elle :( quite scary. :angry:

now that fall is approaching its exciting to see new styling from runway "fresh" clothes! bazaar show good choices although not too much my style, still nice to look at.

as for jade :o im jealous! :cry: but i dont know if i could handle living in ibiza..getting a bit trashy i hear :(

thanks for the review! :flower:

Giselle and Lima para VSC! That Brazillian harvest of talent was a fashion coup, now that I reflect on it.

thanks este!!

love your 'interests'!!!!!!

whats your 'name' mean??

:smile:)))

Originally posted by that girl@Jul 22nd, 2003 - 1:26 pm
SEPTEMBER BAZAAR HAS MADONNA COVER

NOT OUT FOR LIKE 3 WEEKS
:o *thatgirl* i found it :neutral:

heard it from you first :wink: :P

here we go people -

perhaps her cas gear is her non matieral statement :mrgreen:

2003bazaarpreviewnews.jpg

This thread was the oldest visted thread in tFS ( 24.07.2003)

And I think it's very strange when members were discussing without eds and covers

^Very strange indeed.

The title is wrong. It's Debra Messing by Demarchelier on the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->