US Harper's Bazaar July 2009 : Angelina Jolie / Doutzen Kroes by Terry Richardson

Doutzen looks stunning in the pics posted. But I expected more from Terry.

no :o i wasn't trying to say it doesn't count, because it does to me too..i guess what i was trying to say is that i don't know if there have been other models on Subscriber's covers. :flower:

Don't worry, I didn't think you were trying to say it doesn't count :flower:

HB have been doing subcribers covers since 2004 and this is the first time that the person on the subscribers cover is different from the one on the newsstand cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richardson has a history of doing glamorous shoots for US Bazaar, the magazine shows that side of him rather than the raunch, and I like the way it's not what we'd expect or see elsewhere. Workable glamour is what I like to see in Bazaar. Or it's the best I can hope for, in its current incarnation.

Her edit is also very good. Nothing really surprising, but I kinda like the styling.

well "workable glamour" or not, i still think they could have turned it up a notch. i love Doutzen and she does look very gorgeous in her photos, but they are utterly boring. Pretty! but boring.

The ed is a let down but still 1000x better than the rehashed Angie picture.

I love that they call her 'the super supermodel' on the cover.

I have to say the Doutzen pics by Terry look very unlike Terry's other work. Usually the women end up looking slightly trashy but she looks so classy and elegant in these. They don't have that harsh lighting either...

Did they need an "intellectual" to write that stuff???
Gee, it´s the most commonplaced article I´ve read on Angie in ages.

at first i thought angelina's cover was logical since she probably sells more than doutzen but, as luxx pointed out, they can afford a celebrity like her and a good photographer. it seems like a last-minute decision, and a shameful one. doutzen's cover, on the other hand, is gorgeous and completely different from what i would expect from both her and terry...

Liz Tilberis is rolling over in her grave right now.

you completely read my mind! :o I don't know who the latest Editor-In-Chief is over at Bazaar but they need to be fired immediately for this! :shock:

^We don't know....maybe they had to scrape up a celeb cover last minute. It sure looks pathetic.

Oh my god. Just....oh my god. ???

Perhaps HB used up their budget insuring all of their crew shooting Kate Winslet on top of that scaffolding for the upcoming issue? :P

That being said Doutzen's cover is amaaaazing. So so beautiful and simple. WHY wouldn't they just make that the newsstand cover.

gosh, i cant believe this cover is serious..i know American fashion mags appeal more when celebs grace the covers but MUST it look like an US Weekly???

An ironic statement from Vogue IT a couple of years ago has had its predictable and unfortunate side-effects, I guess...

^We don't know....maybe they had to scrape up a celeb cover last minute. It sure looks pathetic.
Or maybe Hearst didn't want a model on the cover of a traditionally weak selling month.

An ironic statement from Vogue IT a couple of years ago has had its predictable and unfortunate side-effects, I guess...

That was a great issue you have to admit.

-------

This is the first time EVER I have been disappointed with US Harpers. I have always prefered US Harpers to US Vogue and always banged on about it but this make me look like a dumb***. It's just pathetic.

There has to be more to it than we know. Doutzen's cover is a million times better. Why Glenda why.

Very nice Fashionista article. I highlighted some parts:

Harper's Bazaar, Is That You?

We just saw the new cover of Harper’s Bazaar online and let us say that we were a bit surprised. The cover image is pick-up art from a red carpet event back in December, so the shot may look familiar to you. And inside there is no accompanying interview with the usually candid Angie. Instead, there is an essay by Naomi Wolf (of The Beauty Myth fame) titled “Why Women Want Angelina Jolie’s Life” which we think is rather obvious. But that’s not even our problem here.
Bazaar is meant to be one of our venerable American fashion magazines. And this reeks of tabloids, more than fashion.
I worked in magazines for many, many years. The importance of newsstand sales is something I know all too well. But throwing Angelina’s face onto the cover and doing a write-around story is such an obvious sales ploy that it makes me sad for Bazaar and for the state of magazines in general.

It’s not that I’ve never worked at a publication where we’ve had to buy art for a cover when a shoot couldn’t be worked out. Or that I think write-around stories (where you don’t actually interview the subject) never happen. But this is just so transparent. The publishing industry is definitely in a state of flux. But we still look to our fashion books to bring us, well, fashion and photography.
Harper’s Bazaar still has the ability to book any number of A-list celebrities. And as Anna Wintour recently said, “Until models become celebrities again in their own right, I can’t see them selling as well on magazine covers as actresses.” We long ago came to accept the fact that major actresses will be on the covers of basically every issue of every American fashion mag.
But if you don’t have Angelina or another big name, why not just try booking an amazing young model for the July issue (typically one of the smaller issues of the year, industry-wide)? It’s certainly better than a lesser caliber celebrity who is also not going to break any sales records. Show us some beautiful clothes on a rising star in the industry. Shoot it in the studio if budgets are tight. Just make it special. If the essay is actually incredibly interesting, put it inside the issue and give it a big old coverline.
Angelina’s face on the cover without any actual stories from Angelina also feels a bit like a bait and switch. And you’re better than that, Harper’s Bazaar!
Definitely a missed opportunity, but I don't understand why people are not praising more the dual cover thing. Maybe when everyone is done bitching about the Angie cover we migght all ackowledge this is a great idea, no?B)

^It may be a good idea if you're a subscriber. But I live in Holland and it's too expensive to subscribe so that would mean I will miss all those subscribers covers.

Thanks for posting the article :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->