US Marie Claire May 2020 : Megan Thee Stallion by Micaiah Carter

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Apr 6, 2020.

1. amby

amby Well-Known Member

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Megan looks stunning! Love the colours and definitely would not have thought this was shot by Micaiah Carter.
    Love how Marie Claire is adapting to the times by enlisting a black photographer. Should put an end to the Tyler Mitchell domination.

#2 Benn98, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited by moderator Armani: Apr 6, 2020
  3. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

The first one is cool - covers with profile side photographs can be refreshing from time to time.

4. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

"Women are the superior beings" is probably the sort of coverline you'd go for if you were promoting a remake of "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" with a rap soundtrack.

5. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

My fave is the first, love the use of the profile shot, the dress, those warm colours for a May cover and the minimal art direction. Although I must admit that I’m pleased Marie Claire decided to put Megan’s name like that across the cover because upon first look, I thought this was Nicki Minaj.

I loathe how the second cover looks more like an album cover and I do have to ask: Is Aya Kanai about to turn MC into something it’s not?

6. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

Not half bad but jesus christ that coverline.

"Women's are the superior beings"
    inb4 articles about how men are all sexist.

RedSmokeRise and tigerrouge like this.
  7. matheus_s

matheus_s Well-Known Member

The graphic design is terrible

kenndale, RedSmokeRise and Benn98 like this.
  8. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

I love everything about this! Meghan (looking VERY much like Nicki in the profile shot, as others have pointed out) looks terrific and I love the color story and 70s feel of it all.

vogue28 likes this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Didn't click on the second cover. Not awful, but I don't get how it relates to the newsstand one nor Marie Claire.

So not only does Megan look like Nicki here, but she's wearing a look similar to Kim K's Vogue cover.....also May, but last year. Coincidence or conspiracy?

[​IMG]

Vogue

10. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

MEGAN THEE STALLION IS JUST WARMING UP
    Photographer:
    Micaiah Carter
    Stylist: Memsor Kamarake
    Hair: Kellon Deryck
    Make-Up: Sir John
    Model/Celebrity: Megan Thee Stallion

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

marieclaire.com

TheoG likes this.
  11. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

Don't know who she is, but the whole thing looks extremely tacky and cheap to me. However, each to their own.

caioherrero likes this.
  12. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The letters are observing social distancing.

Anyway, the new EIC is running this magazine to the ground. Love that for her.

Also, they should be ashamed for even daring to highlight and promote this false definition of feminism. Feminism was never about the superiority of women over men. Feminism is about the equality of the sexes. The belief that women are superior than men makes it no worse than the belief that men are superior than women. Meghan the Stallion needs to re-educated herself on this regard as well.

Benn98 and tigerrouge like this.
  13. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I like the vintage feel of the main cover. Wish more of her face was visible on the second. Not too keen on the editorial it look like press promo shots. She does look like Jennifer Lawrence in many of these.

14. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

Getting vintage vibes from the colours to the photography and I quite like that

vogue28 likes this.
  15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

AYA KANAI’S PLAN FOR MARIE CLAIRE

written by Eddie Roche April 6, 2020

Today marks the release of the May issue of Marie Claire, which is also the first cover select for new EIC Aya Kanai. The cover features rapper Megan Thee Stallion, an intriguing and bold choice for the Hearst title. As Kanai settles into her new role, we sent her a few questions to find out what a Marie Claire in the year 2020 will look like and how she’s handling motherhood and working from home in our current climate.

Congrats on your first issue! You’ve been in the industry a long time. How does that feel?
    “Surreal” and “full tilt” are the only words I can use to describe it. Part of it is the first issue stress, jitters and part is just the truly extreme world we live in right now.

What were some of the first things you wanted to change when you took on the role?
    I always see our editorial vision through the lens of photography and fashion! I know any reader will see our cover and respond to the image and the fashion before they read a word. I wanted to make a bold non-traditional cover choice with the image selection. I am over the moon proud of our cover images of Meg, and since it’s also our Global Beauty Issue, there are two covers!

How do you envision Marie Claire today? For a long time we looked at is a s magazine that was luxury for women who make their own money. How would you define it now?
    Marie Claire has been about empowering women’s since it was founded in 1937. Our current mission is to document and support the rise in power of the next generation of women through our magazine, digital outlets and experiential platform Power Trip. The entrepreneurial values of today’s most exciting female business and creative leaders are precisely in line with our original and current mission.

Why did you decide to put Megan Thee Stallion on the cover?
    I wanted to work with one of the most talked about artists right now, but what I love even more about Megan is that she is also getting her degree in health administration. The Marie Claire reader is an educated, culturally informed woman and Megan embodies all of that and then some.

What stories will be in the new issue? What kind of stories are important for you to tell?
    You must, must read our story “The Hollywood Vigilante,” edited by our deputy editor, Danielle McNally. This story is about a well-known TV actress who spends her “free time” working with the FBI to use her acting skills to catch child predators. It’s absolutely riveting and reminds us all that our creative talents can also be used in the service of others.

Who would you love to have on the cover in the future?
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg. RBG, are you reading this? We’ll send a crew whenever you’re available!

You are so new into this role and between fashion month and self-isolation, how hard has it been to be out of the office for so long?
    Yes! I get so much creative energy from collaboration in person. That said, our Marie Claire team is such a dynamic group that self-isolation can’t bring us down. We are on Slack video calls all day, it’s been fun to see colleagues’ homes, pets, partners, and house plants while chatting through story edits. The experience has made us closer to each other in an unexpected way.

How are you dealing with a full-time job and being a working mom at home right now? What are the challenges? Joys?
    My apartment is fully a playground at this point. I have craft paper taped to the floor so we can draw and large cardboard boxes litter the room to be used as a castle to read in or a boat to sail across the living room. I remember Sheryl Sandberg said that one of the most important career decisions you make is your choice of a partner. This has proved absolutely true for me. My husband is an incredible support, doing far more than his share of the childcare so that I can be available most of the day and for that I am so grateful. Our daughter is loving all the quality time with her dad. That said, today I got the stink eye from my daughter because she and my husband were playing in their fort under a rainbow parachute!

Self-isolation has come with a lot of surprises for people. What has been the most surprising thing you’ve learned in the past few weeks?
    I have learned that my subway commute to work is my daily alone time. Since that subway time is no longer, for now I have found myself missing that quiet time and have recreated it by getting up early, before my husband and daughter wake up. I do yoga, meditate, read books and tidy up the kitchen. It’s been the most relaxing way for me to start the day.

Will the next issue of Marie Claire include coronavirus content?
    Yes! As the information and learnings change day to day, our digital coverage ranges from the Asian American experience to doctors on the front lines to America’s heart throb, governor Andrew Cuomo. In the magazine, we will be covering how COVID-19 will shape the future of our healthcare system and pandemic policies going forward. We are working with doctors at Johns Hopkins to focus on how future crisis management will evolve from this.

We don’t know when we’re going to be back in the swing of things. Have you come up with a contingency plan yet if you aren’t able to shoot a future cover soon or will you cross that bridge when it comes?
    We do have a contingency plan for our next cover! I’m so excited about it that I am almost tempted to just do the contingency plan rather than the original plan. I am grateful for my health and to be creating this content right now. That’s the key to dealing with all of this: The creative solutions often present a window into a new world we would have never seen otherwise.

Fashionweekdaily

16. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

She is beautiful and she photographs very well. She just need a better help in the styling department but she is fabulous!
    I love her...

17. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The last shot reminds me of Nicki Minaj's Elle cover with the turban. Even the background. Lol

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Megan's second cover is in fact for a beauty special right at the end of the magazine, guess it makes more sense now. That section looks nearly identical to Allure in terms of content, layout, and tone. They've also pushed harder on the Prix d'Excellence awards in that section which used to be a huge trump card for the brand across the globe in the late 90s, way before the beauty industry became cool again. It could end up repositioning them as an authority in the beauty field once again, but Allure already holds that title with their Best of Beauty awards.

Other than what's posted, there is a reprint of this Van Mossevelde + N edit which originally appeared in Marie Claire France.
    And just like US Elle, I've noticed a lack of written content of substance in this issue.....

US Marie Claire May 2020

It's Time to Subscribe to Lily Aldridge

Photographer: Helena Christensen
    Set Design: Griffin Stoddard
    Stylist: Ryan Young
    Hair: Harry Josh
    Makeup: Hung Vanngo
    Manicure: Dawn Sterling
    Cast: Lily Aldridge

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

US Marie Claire Digital Edition