US Vanity Fair November 2010 : Marilyn Monroe by Milton H. Greene

Vanessa12

Reaction score
5euwes.jpg

wonderwall.msn.com

Amazing! :buzz: I would buy this in a heartbeat for just the cover itself.

Well... I guess COULD count as a Kennedy cover!!

didn't they JUST have a marilyn cover in october of 2008?!

Again Marylin boring me Vanity with old stars

All I can think of is that it must be much cheaper for them to feature old celebrities on their covers?

They just pay for the photo rights, no need to pay for a full cover star and editorial to be produced.

Photographer is Milton H. Greene.
I adore his Marilyn portraits, as well as the woman herself, so have no choice but to crush all over this cover.
But I would definitely love to see more original covers from VF.

marilyn.jpg

Marilyn and Her Monsters
For all the millions of words she has inspired, Marilyn Monroe remains something of a mystery. Now a sensational archive of the actress’s own writing—diaries, poems, and letters—is being published. With exclusive excerpts from the book, Fragments, the author enters the mind of a legend: the scars of sexual abuse; the pain of psychotherapy; the betrayal by her third husband, Arthur Miller; the constant specter of hereditary madness; and the fierce determination to master her art.

See More

In the November issue, Vanity Fair published a previously unseen archive of Marilyn Monroe’s private writings. With narrative by contributing editor Sam Kashner, these notebooks cover the most tumultuous years—from around 1951 to 1961—of the young actress’s life. As Kashner points out, “[w]e have had Warhol’s Marilyn, Mailer’s Marilyn, Joyce Carol Oates’s fictionalized Marilyn, now finally we have Marilyn’s Marilyn.” Through the pages of Marilyn’s diaries, we see the whole arc of her tragic life: the transition from starlet to icon, her pursuit of true artistry beyond the “dumb blonde” she was pigeonholed as, and the troubled thoughts that followed her, from childhood, through three marriages, and, ultimately, to her final days. It is clear that the experience of writing was cathartic for her, providing a momentary grasp on the whirlwind of emotions that accompanied her life.

In the interests of science, VF.com had a professional graphologist (handwriting expert), Sheila Kurtz, examine a few of the documents found in the archive. And in the interests of good science, we declined to tell her whom she was analyzing—which did not prevent her from guessing that it was either Lindsay Lohan or Lady Gaga, the subjects of our last two covers.

This entry is from the first black “Record” notebook, which Marilyn kept around 1951, the year she would film Love Nest—a line from the script of which she jotted down on page 146. Not yet the star she would grow to be, Marilyn was finally beginning to appear in the credits of her onscreen roles.

See More

vanityfair

I don't have a problem with MM being on the cover and it is an alright cover, but I feel like there must've been better pictures of her.

I would rather have Marilyn on a cover than many of the people who pass for a celebrity these days. So many of them ape her look, it can be good to have a moment where you are reminded of the original - one of the few stars I would feel comfortable calling iconic. And for all that, its not as if she has been on the cover of the same magazine 30 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly strange they are having her on the cover again, i mean woah VF!!

But then im a sucker for Monroe, always will be, and the woman never ever took a bad picture.

Marilyn Monroe? :yuk: Can we just let her and her story rest for a few years or decades. I swear she was JUST on the cover!

Should've known there'd be a Monroe cover after these diaries surfaced.

i like this. i mean vf is known for their coverage of scandals, and fame. this is not the picture i'd have chosen.

The cover is gorgeous! I have been a huge Marilyn Monroe fan since I was a little girl so I'm so happy to see her on a cover. I think it was a fantastic idea of Vanity Fairy to put her on the cover because of her secret diaries. Thanks so much Vanity Fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->