US Vogue August 2018 : Saoirse Ronan by Jamie Hawkesworth

MON

Reaction score

instagram.com/voguemagazine

Last edited by a moderator:
I will most definitely buy this. She looks sour by it's great to see Jamie and Saoire get a cover. And that Prada collection photographs a dream!

Looks super depressing, especially after that Gisele cover.

What a pleasant surprise!! :heart::heart:

Quite possibly the most gamine-looking American Vogue cover star ever! I oddly enough love this despite Jamie shooting the cover. The dark roots bothers me a bit, but I'm mad about the styling and faint grit instead of their usual effortless gloss.

It seems Rihanna's PR must be moonlighting for the Pope. He probably went 'I won't participate in your MET gala unless I get a puff piece PLUS coverline.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Great actress and great photographer.:heart:
The cover is not exciting, but it's interesting which is better imo.

My god what a depressing and terrible cover. Was excited to see her name, but this not what i need from US Vogue!! Leave the indie and trying to be cool vibe to actual indies. Good for Jamie, but this is horrible.

love when Anna picks someone new, like her or Ruth Negga last year. Refreshing and bittersweet, knowing this could be one of her final issues. You're a legend Anna!

Hawkesworth's signature is sunset hues so I expected a few shots showing that. Only the ones with the black lace/organza intrigue me.

Vogue has been slowly adapting to the new guard with their edits. This cover marks the first attempt to try a new photographer for their cover.Quite impressed with the outcome, hope Charlotte Wales will be next, but keep Weir/Schorr/Bird out.

Not for me, couldn't care less about Saoirse Ronan or Jamie Hawkesworth for that matter - and this certainly doesn't feel Vogue worthy! This will be another cover of American Vogue which I'm not immediately compelled to purchase (haven't even bothered to rush out for Gisele Bundchen's cover from last month yet).

Depressing cover, there is no vibe at all, just being there.

I'm happily amazed at Anna's cover choice! Someone totally different and out of her comfort zone! My favorite cover this year!

This is very depressing! Doesn't look like an American Vogue.

Where’s the Glamour?! This is Vogue! Let’s lift it.

it's curious people's reaction in the Forum...it's very hard time for magazines today, what it sells before it's not anymore so it;s perfectly logic to find new ways...if they go for more indie/commercial style it's because people react more to this than the usual smile/gown picture....i like the actress choice and the cover with editorial....
Not every cover needs to be happy in order to be "Vogue"....

I like the cover a lot, but I understand where others are coming from who don't. For so many years this magazine held steady with their direction. And it's not neccesarily all cheesy smiles. They're renowned for an effortless and accessible type of redfined glamour. All that really changed was the art design and the skintone of their cover stars. But in terms of the type of faces and social standing, they pretty much remained the same. For every 10 members who railed against their commercial 'mall rag' covers (lol), there were 20 more who liked it. Myself included. So naturally readers will be taken aback by the shift in visual direction.

It's good of them to try this for an August issue, I suppose.

Very very different than any of the previous covers, but I'm open minded when it comes to this. I kinda like it. Not to forget to mention that there is finally a fresh face on a cover this time.

I think this is excellent, actually, for US Vogue.

It may not be my personal taste, and it's not perfect, but ultimately, this is really fresh looking for Vogue and looks forward thinking and fresh. Vogue has looked absolutely irrelevant for so many years now...from cover subjects, to styling, to photography, to retouching...all of it. This feels like a move forward and a willingness to drop the old formula and do something different. I doubt they'll keep this up, and I'm sure next month will be something ridiculous again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"