US Vogue August 2018 : Saoirse Ronan by Jamie Hawkesworth

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MON, Jul 11, 2018.

1. SallyAlbright

SallyAlbright Well-Known Member

Finally, a cover subject I'm excited about! Saoirse is one of the best actresses of her generation and has had a surprisingly small number of covers considering her three Oscar nominations. The cover itself isn't great, but I'm happy to see her.

2. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

My first impression was: weak, but then I started to like it. Relaxed, appealing.. I love this girl and this is perfect for august and for this moment that Vogue US is going thru now.

Im actually having good feelings about September cover, what is unusual.

3. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

I'm happy for Saoirse, but this is a truly depressing cover.

4. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

That can only be a good thing.

I like it, couldn’t care less about her as an actress, but as an image i think it works pretty well.

5. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

This is not good, I don´t know who she is but it´s very indie and not glamorous, this is VOGUE, where´s the high end fashion, glamour and power? This is like an October cover of a depressing magazine, agreed with everybody.

6. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

This could almost be a Dazed cover. I love it regardless.

7. gazebo

gazebo Well-Known Member

I think the word is cool. It is truly a cool cover. I love it for US Vogue.

8. pivoslyakova

pivoslyakova Member

I completely love this cover, I hope I'm not biased because I've been a fan of Saoirse since atonement so I'm happy all the recognition she's getting and she really deserves to be on the cover. I'm very happy for Jamie too, I love his work and this cover and editorial is amazing.

9. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Great for her to be get her dues and appear on this cover. Also an even bigger breakthrough to the big time for Jamie. However, the cover looks a bit rushed. The facial expression, hair...it all looks like an after-thought, whereas the lighting of the image and styling of Prada is relatively well-honed.

Let's see where this goes longer term I guess...

10. IndigoHomme

IndigoHomme Well-Known Member

It seems the poor copy of an ELLE version of some small country hidden in Europe

11. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of this. Saoirse is such a spectacular actress. I've been appreciating her stellar work since "Atonement" and that was over a decade ago.

Very well deserved Vogue cover. And also I'm super happy for Jamie Hawkesworth. It DOES feel a bit like the changing of the guard at Vogue and that is a great thing, in my opinion. It's time for a fresh take!

12. Khabeer

Khabeer Member

DOUR! UNFRIENDLY! MISERABLE! SOLEMN! GRIM! & GLUM! This cover makes me depressed, Makes me wanna pop an ambien, sleep and dream of better times. Just lifeless and dull. There's no glamour, no styling whatsoever and the hair and makeup people did her dirty. That Prada dress is ugly, that random flower on her shoulder doesn't add anything to the shot. I just want this cover ️OUT OF MY FACE! Vogue covers should thrill & excite you. Not make you wanna see a shrink.

13. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Irish Vogue.

14. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Well-Known Member

Was predicting Saoirse for later in the year, but this is a pleasant surprise. This is SO different for US Vogue and lovely. If Anna is indeed leaving, she is going out with a bang. Cannot wait to pick this up

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same when I saw the cover, both Saiorse and Ruth are from the Irish Republic. Would be funny if there's a Boo George edit inside, lol.

16. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

British Vogue should be ashamed for not beating Wintour to the punch... even if she more or less features all the Brits in American Vogue, but I digress.

It's OK. It seems slighty Kirsty Hume inspired. It's nice to not seem some socialite or internet famous model/star.

Sidenote: Why do people care about Cheryl Strayed so much that she should be mentioned on the cover?

17. MerrisaV

MerrisaV Member

Vogue US goes indie doesn't mean that it's the right direction...

18. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

And Vogue UK doesn't look british at all. They switched their cover stars, ha.

19. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

this would be really good without jamie hawkesworth's piss-coloured filter smh

20. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

I seriously gasped when I saw the thread title. Jamie deserves this cover so much, all the edits he's done for this magazine were already a sign that he wasn't just a flavor of the month type of thing but I wasn't expecting for him to land the cover!