US Vogue August 2018 : Saoirse Ronan by Jamie Hawkesworth

^^^ Hope Emmanuelle will never be so boring/desperate/clueless and pander to Jamie’s tired template, like Anna has been totally suckered into here. Wow… another fresh-face waif lamenting on the shore with stuff blowing in the wind… Where does he come up with such creativity time and time again…???

I guess I’m supposed to be impressed by this brand of anti-glam imagery for high fashion… But all I can take away is that he’s possessed of very limited creativity (or maybe he's forced to shoot this lazy scenario over and over by clueless editors). And maybe because I can’t stand Saoirse— as some forced muse, hyped pseudo-intellectual, wise-beyond-her-years image that the industry continues to push as the successor to Cate. So the combination of both these very one-note individuals with limited talent here is simply insufferable. No different than another Annie and Jennifer Lawrence offering.

While Emmanuelle Alt move at a snail's pace through the 80s (I'm guessing she has reached 1989 with her latest cover?), the rest of the industry look at ways, within their capacity, to innovate, rejuvenate and move with the times. I'd take an indified American Vogue any day over Alt's 80's stasis, throwing a bunch of clothes at her readers with a shaky narrative and bad art direction to boot. She's running a fashion magazine, not a style one. American Vogue in it's pitiful state if far more sustainable (sic) than the trend-driven French version.

It seems most of the magazine world is currently pinning its hopes that stale servings of the 90s will bring about sales. Are they hoping a second-hand dose of that decade will serve double-duty as nostalgia for the adults, irony for the kids?

This drab mish-mash of beach misery isn't selling me anything.

I bought two issues of the summer issue of Vogue Paris. I don't think I've bought one issue of US Vogue in two years.

tiger, I’d gladly be open to a new idea of “beach misery” LOL I’m not expecting new vision. Just do something else, anything else, other than that tired forlorn, fresh-face druid-esque being standing on the beach looking out to the sea, with pieces of clothing blowing in the wind on a sunny cold afternoon's day. (Maybe at dusk/evening/night's bonfire would even be something different from him... anything but the same scenario he's shot over and over again.)

And Benn— you’re moving too fast for Emmanuelle. I’m pretty sure Emmanuelle is still crawling towards 1987, at present course. Not quite at 1989 yet. Maybe she’ll get there by 2020.

And despite that— along with the occasional fumbles, like the current cover, she’s still confidently planted in her own high fashion direction that’s infinitely more fresh, exciting and dream-inspiring since it feels like a genuine evolution, than whatever tired looks Anna is copping at the local mall for her Vogue. And copying i-D banality isn’t quite the same as innovating nor rejuvenating. I mean, Ariana Grande singing Imogen Heap’s over-covered “Hide and Seek” doesn’t make her suddenly an artist...

I personally think that's just the side that appeals the most to the stylists of this magazine, it's definitely redudant since he's done it for US Vogue like 5 or 6 times already but his work for Love, System and AnOther shows that he's capable of capturing different scenarios.

Contrary to you it think it'd be glorious to see Jamie back at Vogue Paris, I really liked his Céline story. I think he would benefit from a more refined sensibility styling-wise. Something along the line of what he did with Laetita for Loewe or his breakthrough shoot with MAS for System wouldn't be out of place in the pages of Vogue Paris.

I'm honestly surprised that his photography is put in the same box as the one in i-D, his style reads as honest and thoughtful not dreadful or youth pandering but that seems to be a matter of perception. I guees I've always like a more nonchalant type of fashion imagery.

Either way I just have to agree with your statement that Saoirse comes off as very condescending and insufferable on her interviews, look no further than her 70 questions...just as annoying as Jennifer Lawrence with her girl-next-door act.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I like some of Jamie’s imageries. He's just not possessed of a vast repository of creativity to produce a strong story from beginning to end. He’s very typical of these new photographers— whether it’s Collier or Harley, who are admittedly capable of impressive moments— just not a full story. I always get the sense that these lessers require several hours just to conjure up a single decent shot, whether because they’re so limited in their creativity, or they’re just that self-absurbed in their own hype. That’s not enough nor acceptable for me. But these are lesser times we’re in, where a hyped gimmick remaining on a loop can get you quite far.

^^^ I like some of Jamie’s imageries. He's just not possessed of a vast repository of creativity to produce a strong story from beginning to end. He’s very typical of these new photographers— whether it’s Collier or Harley, who are admittedly capable of impressive moments— just not a full story. I always get the sense that these lessers require several hours just to conjure up a single decent shot, whether because they’re so limited in their creativity, or they’re just that self-absurbed in their own hype. That’s not enough nor acceptable for me. But these are lesser times we’re in, where a hyped gimmick remaining on a loop can get you quite far.
Totally agree. Jamie has created quite a few rather beautiful images, but I think you've hit the nail on the head as far as him not quite being able to create a full editorial "story." And that is so true for so many other photographers working today.

I almost always see these editorials and ask myself - "why?" It's almost always a collection of random, poorly associated or repetitive images of some girl just standing there vacantly. There never is a real sense of purpose, no arch from the first page to the last of the story.

Truly beautiful cover, best cover I've seen from this magazine in years, I much prefer this to the tacky photoshop-airbrushed hollywood they usually do. Jamie is an amazing photography, and Saoirse is quite possibly one of the best people for a cover at the moment.

NO HOLDS BARRED - 7P
Photographer: David Luraschi
Stylist: Alex Harrington
Model: Adut Akech

ADDING IT UP - 9P
AIN’T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH- 1P
Photographer: Bibi Cornejo Borthwick
Stylist: Camilla Nickerson
Model: Gigi Hadid

SEIZE THE DAY - 12P
Photographer: Martin Parr
Stylist: Tonne Goodman
Models: Paloma Elsesser, Sora Choi, Caroline Trentini, Saffron Vadher, Hoyeon Jung, Aiden Curtiss, Sabina Karlsson, Slick Woods, Selena Forrest, Sabina Karlsson, Sophie Koella & Lineisy Montero

BREAKING GROUND - 10P
Photographer: Ryan McGinley
Stylist: Jorden Bickham
Models/Celebrities: Okay Kaya,Grace Hartzel, Imaan Hammam, Zsela, Jade Bird, Arlissa & Julia Cumming

STATEMENT MAKERS - 2P
Photographer: Daniel Jackson
Stylist: Jorden Bickham
Celebrity: Priyanka Chopra

GIRL MEETS WORLD - 1P
Photographer: Alessandra Sanguinetti
Stylist: Yohana Lebasi
Celebrity: Yara Shahidi

Anna her #NewVogue?

Hm, this gonna be interesting.
Looking forward for "Seize the Day". And Priyanka? Huge pass.

Thanks MDNA.

I thought I was in a Vogue Portugal thread.
Who are all these people?

Who on earth is Okay Kaia???? And how did they manage to get Martin Parr?

I can now understand why Tonne is leaving. This looks set to be the most 'ID-esque' US Vogue based on the review. Alex Harrington, Jorden Bickham with photographers like McGinley, Jackson, Mark Borthwick's daughter(????? As if Theo Wenner wasn't enough!!) and models Sora Choi, Selena Forrest etc etc. All fair and well, because I like change! What doest bode well is the photographer line-up. Their style, to my knowledge, seem very much alike. Here's hoping it won't just be a sea of beige starkness and cold, sterile studio shots with forced smiles.

NO HOLDS BARRED - 7P
Photographer: David Luraschi
Stylist: Alex Harrington
Model: Adut Akech
Preview:

SEIZE THE DAY - 12P
Photographer: Martin Parr
Stylist: Tonne Goodman
Models: Paloma Elsesser, Sora Choi, Caroline Trentini, Saffron Vadher, Hoyeon Jung, Aiden Curtiss, Sabina Karlsson, Slick Woods, Selena Forrest, Sabina Karlsson, Sophie Koella & Lineisy Montero

Preview:

I mean, why are they using non-fashion photographers? It honestly feels weird to sudeenly have all these randoms, all at once and all of the sudden. Sorry but Vogue isn't Vogue without names, their talents may go to waste with recycled concepts but at least you get the sense that you're skimming through a prestigious FASHION magazine. The preview of Parr's editorial is dismal, are they seriously publishing that?...

P.S: Mark Bortswick is not known or prestigious from what I remember, I can't comprehend how is that his daughter is suddenly shooting for US Vogue.

I’m really confused with some of the comments here.

People complain about US Vogue’s tired direction, and yet when they give you something new, some complain.

People complain about US Vogue’s repetitive use of cheesy smiling covers, but when they give you something new, its discredited as “dull,” “sleep inducing,” “dark” +++

People complain about US Vogue’s repetitive lineup for photographers, and when they give you a new line up, its severely shaded and dragged.

People complain about US Vogue’s repetitive use of models, but when a new girl gets included in an editorial she’s dragged to filth since she’s “irrelevant,” “not worthy,” and more

I’m just confused at this point.

Also, the cover clearly says “A MONTH OF FIRSTS. 33 New Artists make their Vogue debut” and yet we’re all suddenly shocked why there are fresh faces? Goodness.

ALSO, disregard my comment as soon as we see the results. If these photographers produce the same joke that others produce, then fine. But as long as we haven’t seen the real output, judging this new direction from a mere review is premature.

This looks set to be the most 'ID-esque' US Vogue based on the review.

Yup. The vibe the cover gives off is pretty much similar with the rest of the content. It feels like a toned down Vogue US (probably because of the styling in some of the eds) with a mix of that i-D and Vogue Ukraine and Portugal vibes.

Actually i like this issue! Not as empty as their May and June issue this year. (this issue is much better than last year's August issue imo)

A lot of fashion to see, and also i think the new photographers are doing a great job, this issue doesn't feel that indie at all, it still feels like the old Vogue imo.

Adut's ed is the best, also Martin Parr's ed somehow brings smile to my face when i see it. Gigi's and McGinley's ed is also not bad.

This issue only has 144 pages tho, while US Elle has 180 this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->