US Vogue August 2019 : Ariana Grande by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Chalka, Jul 9, 2019.

1. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

My eyes are immediately drawn to the dog on this cover - I don't know why but I just can't stop laughing at its little facial expression! It's like what am I doing here?!?!?
    Can't imagine how this was approved. Annie may as well have been shooting CGI.

TommysBaby and Benn98 like this.
  2. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

At this rate, I very much doubt it would bother me if I didn't see another Annie Leibovitz photograph - again! No wonder the cover feature is so short, absolutely dreadful outcome. A total cut and paste job. This would be the last straw with Leibovitz, if I were Anna Wintour.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  3. AD011620

AD011620 Well-Known Member

What are we mourning here? How badly this dog was photoshopped in? Or judging by this cover there could be many reasons. Like this hat! I think it’s more like A tent. You can live under it and worry not. She looks cute though... even in mourning and that’s an achievement. Like you know how some people can cry beautifully and some are just ugly criers. So well done! Good effort.

4. slayage

slayage Member

I’m not surprised by the boringness of this cover. None of Anna’s covers at least for the past year have excited me anymore. It’s just a celebrity after a celebrity. I don’t see fashion anymore.

Handbag Queen likes this.
  5. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

She’s already tiny in real life so they go and put her in a giant hat that makes her look even smaller! :lol:

YohjiAddict and crmsnsnwflks like this.
  6. Handbag Queen

Handbag Queen Well-Known Member

I liked her UK Vogue cover a million times better........

russianelf likes this.
  7. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

Maybe Anna didn’t wanna jinx their chances? After all, wasn’t there a rumor that HRC would be on the December 2016 cover had she won the election?

8. Cadence

Cadence Member

Annie Leibovitz is a terrible photographer. There, I've said it. There's something of the Anne Geddes approach to her style that is embarrassing. Ariana looks like each eye has been taken from separate images and photoshopped together. US Vogue needs to drop their Annie addiction now. It's not helping either of them.

Psylocke, tigerrouge, Lola701 and 6 others like this.
  9. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Member

Couldn’t agree more.

dfl-001 likes this.
  10. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Also, The Beto Effect. That cover ruined whatever “chance” he had for the race.

11. Gabriel29

Gabriel29 Well-Known Member

The cover is a typical Leibovitz cut copy paste job. Why do all her images look so fake lately? The editorial pictures are all so incredibly bad. I'm honestly baffled. Why does Vogue even bother working with Leibovitz at this point. Everything always ends up looking so uninspired and sloppy.

Cadence, YohjiAddict and dfl-001 like this.
  12. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

This is Vogue US in complete auto-pilot mode: Annie Leibowitz photographing a tween popstar with hideous, boring styling. And to give Ariana Grande a cover for August when she covered August for British Vogue last year? Anna isn't even trying anymore, is she?

And I'll never accept Ariana Grande as a fashion forward/relevant celebrity - not with those Vogue covers, not with that Givenchy contract!

13. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Not coming to Vogue’s defense, but the article about the female candidates is about “Women in Politics.” So there’s a reason why Marianne’s not there, she’s not an incumbent.

Although, that’s a lame excuse. They could’ve changed the write up to include 1.

14. LastNight

LastNight Active Member

A travesty. What on Earth were they thinking? The pose, the hat, the dog...it’s all just crap. It looks like a naff Vanity Fair cover. Annie has, at times, done great work for Vogue but a lot of the covers have been utter rubbish; her aesthetic just doesn’t suit the front of a fashion magazine.

I'm not sure what we’re allowed to discuss on here, but am I the only one that finds Ariana's dark tan and the hair styling on the cover to be a bit suspect? I might be overthinking it because of the accusations of blackfishing against her already, but this rubs me the wrong way.

15. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

I really don’t get why people are so critical towards Ariana being on the cover of US Vogue. If anything, she has got to be one of the most deserved cover subjects this magazine has featured this year, especially when compared to the likes of Priyanka, Hailey & Justin, and Kim. Why? The “Thank U, Next” album is both commercially well and critically acclaimed; she headlined Coachella; her Sweetener tour tickets sold out in a matter of minutes. Is she a fashion icon? No. But do you consider Priyanka, Hailey+Justin, and even Reese Witherspoon fashion icons? Is Anna a little late to the party because Edward has featured her first? Yes, but that’s beside the point.

Plax likes this.
  16. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Her makeup in that video is ridiculous, what's the point of tanning yourself to a crisp and then caking your face in white like a clown! She's trash.

Lalippity and Benn98 like this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Did you see the Kontouring? She basically looks like a singing Kylie Jenner.

Anyway, the video is already on 5million views and it's only the first day since release - a win for Vogue. Their most viewed video is Kim K, I reckon this one could easily overtake Kim's. That's what Ariana brings to the table - strong social media engagement and all her fans liking and sharing, but it's difficult to market her to the fashion set hence the imposter-like styling. There was a reason why British Vogue and US Elle didn't veer too far off from her public image in terms of styling. That way they could at least get her fans to buy the issue. Because as it stands, this cover is not winning over her fans nor the fashion set.

#57 Benn98, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Does Annie have a ridiculous contract or something?

YohjiAddict likes this.
  19. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

Ali Krieger & Ashlyn Harris by Carolyn Drake
    01AA372E-8B12-4D72-99D8-84B57E7B71E3.jpeg
    Vogue

crmsnsnwflks likes this.
  20. tomtakesphotos

Annie definitely has a contract.

So did Patrick and Testino.

Some of Annie's old interns need to come out and break their NDAs.

This cover is confusing. Why did this happen? Even the shoot itself is bad. The madame president shoot would have made for a more buzzy and visually appealing shoot.

YohjiAddict and Bertrando3 like this.