US Vogue January 1998 : The Spice Girls by Mario Testino

Thanks so much Proximity. :heart: :flower:

This is the first ever American Vogue cover that Testino has shot, there has been many since.^_^

info on editorials, etc..

"Big Budget"
P - Mario Testino
M - Stella Tennant

"Middle Ground"
P - Ellen Von Unwerth
M - Karen Elson & Guinevere Van Seenus

"Dress For Less"
P - Steven Meisel
M - Carolyn Murphy

"All Spice" - The Spice Girls
P - Mario Testino

"Best & Worst of 1997"

"Solo Donatella" - Donatella Versace
P - Annie Leibovitz

"Fashion Oasis" - Liam Gallagher & Patsy Kensit
P - Ellen Von Unwerth

I remember the best and worst feature.I think they show my fave Prada shoes ever as part of the worst!i was pissed!:rofl:But also amused because they featured them quite a lot:lol:

I think it was pretty smart of Vogue to put them. They were so huge. :shock:

Funny that this was Testino's first cover...I actually liked his photography back then.

I remember Karen and Guinvere's ed but not the rest :wink:

I didn't know the spice girls had a us vogue cover! It's funny to see that.

^ yeah, for me the Unwerth ed is by far the best in this issue.

speaking of...

"Middle Ground", photographs - Ellen von Unwerth, models - Karen Elson & Guinevere van Seenus.

scanned by me.

^ Great ed, thanks for scanning!
The whole issue looks interesting.

Karen & Guinevere ed is so pretty. I loved to see von Unwerth's work in Vogue US.
Thanks for the scans.

This was my first issue of vogue I ever bought only becasue it had the Spice Girls on the cover. It wasn't until years later that I realized that it had Been my first Vogue. For some reason though the pic of Karen and Guinevere in Feretti and Carolina Herrara always stuck out in my mind even though I couldn't remember where the hell I'd seen it. I guess it was the first fashion pic I ever fell in love with= )

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to finally see the cover story. Great stuff.

aha actually this is more fun than really good ! but it's a pleasure to see that, i feel really younger (even if i'm only 20) aha ! i wonder how that happened with wintour...

This cover, and issue is iconic to my youth as well. Remember leafing through it, my first time looking at US Vogue. I also remember when they were on Oprah, and the cover was featured there. Think its a very 90s cover, while the ed is surprisngly modern, the Gucci dress on Victoria, her whole look is something she could be wearing today without looking dated. Thanks so much for scanning this issue Pximity, it took me back.

vlcsnap-199301-1.jpg

zigazig-ha.com

HQ Cover + look

Fashion Editor: Camilla Nickerson
Hair: Marc Lopez
Makeup: Tom Pecheux

archive.vogue.com

"Big Budget"
Model: Stella Tennant
Photographer: Mario Testino
Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington
Hair: Orlando Pita