US Vogue January 2018 : Lupita Nyong'o by Mikaeal Jansson

Is it a great cover? Not by any means. But by American Vogue standards (actually most vogue’s standards in recent years) it’s really not that bad. The worst part is the grey masthead to me. Should have just been white.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sick of Anna Wintour I can't even put it into words. As many on here have already said, she could have had many different women on this cover, but instead she goes with Lupita for her annual Vogue Cover. Unbelievable. I wish she'd retire. She lacks zero creativity and vision as this point in her career.

THIS. It's ridiculous at this point. She's out of touch, and it's time to move on.

Because Black Panther opens in February. I guess that month is reserved for someone bigger because of awards?

They could have given the cover to Danai Gurira or freaking Angela Bassett. Mary J Blige has Oscar buzz for Mudbound. I love Lupita but she isn't the only notable black actress in Hollywood, Vogue.

I was wondering what's with the fitness theme, but then I realised that readers are at their most vulnerable in January. After a month of excess and gluttony most will take Vogue up on whatever fad diets, fitness fashion and apparel they're flogging. This is how many women's magazines of the 90s managed decent sales for what's generally described as a quiet month, and thinnest issue, on the publishing calendar.

What a dull way to start the year, give Tracee or Janet a cover

This is not a good start for the year

To me, US Vogue is one of the most diverse magazines out there today. That to me is an undeniable fact. They don’t seem to do it for the quota nor do they do it for the sake of not being judged as an ignorant magazine. That’s what I like about Anna’s Vogue.

However, my issue is the fact that they seem to have a very limited selection of women of color to put for the cover. That in itself is rather problematic, no? Make no mistake, Rihanna, Beyoncé and Lupita deserve their covers, but are they the only ones? WOC are changing the game everywhere! You have Viola, Taraji, Kerry, Zoe +++ and yet, they seem to be ignored just because they’re not “movie stars” (with the exception of Zoe) and yet the likes of Blake Lively, and Lena Dunham got their cover on the basis of their television shows.

To me, US Vogue is one of the most diverse magazines out there today. That to me is an undeniable fact. They don’t seem to do it for the quota nor do they do it for the sake of not being judged as an ignorant magazine. That’s what I like about Anna’s Vogue.

However, my issue is the fact that they seem to have a very limited selection of women of color to put for the cover. That in itself is rather problematic, no? Make no mistake, Rihanna, Beyoncé and Lupita deserve their covers, but are they the only ones? WOC are changing the game everywhere! You have Viola, Taraji, Kerry, Zoe +++ and yet, they seem to be ignored just because they’re not “movie stars” (with the exception of Zoe) and yet the likes of Blake Lively, and Lena Dunham got their cover on the basis of their television shows.

But didn’t Zendaya, Ruth, and Serena all get their first covers just recently? Anna has always had her favorites but let’s not try to rewrite history.

But didn’t Zendaya, Ruth, and Serena all get their first covers just recently? Anna has always had her favorites but let’s not try to rewrite history.

2010: Halle
2011: Rihanna, Penelope
2012: Serena, Rihanna
2013: Beyonce, Michelle Obama
2014: Kim & Kanye, Lupita, Rihanna, Joan Smalls
2015: Beyonce, Lupita, Serena
2016: Rihanna, Lupita, Michelle Obama
2017: Ruth, Selena, Zendaya
2018: Lupita

Let's not allow ourselves to be fooled by 2017 either. With that list alone, the limited selection is very, very telling. With Lupita kicking off 2018, and rumors of a Rihanna cover, it seems like they're back on track.

2017 also has Imaan 2 covers and Adwoa, plus for the first time an asian on the main cover.

2010: Halle
2011: Rihanna, Penelope
2012: Serena, Rihanna
2013: Beyonce, Michelle Obama
2014: Kim & Kanye, Lupita, Rihanna, Joan Smalls
2015: Beyonce, Lupita, Serena
2016: Rihanna, Lupita, Michelle Obama
2017: Ruth, Selena, Zendaya
2018: Lupita

Let's not allow ourselves to be fooled by 2017 either. With that list alone, the limited selection is very, very telling. With Lupita kicking off 2018, and rumors of a Rihanna cover, it seems like they're back on track.

You typed Penelope in by accident. :flower:

Christy Turlington's yoga cover was divine, such a shame we would never see that kind of cover anymore

Snoozed through that puff piece. It's basically all about her African childhood, how she's challenging Hollywood, 'I don't talk about my love life'....typical Lupita press release template. This is what happens when you shove someone down people's throats - they eventually run out of worthwhile things to say.

Can't believe there weren't more shots to be used. If we're lucky we'll get one more on Anna's letter page. Unbelievable!

Looking forward to the review.

US Vogue January 2018
Ph: Mikael Jansson

dailymail.com.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"