US Vogue January 2018 : Lupita Nyong'o by Mikaeal Jansson

As the editor's letter makes a big deal about Ashley Graham, perhaps the waters are being tested as to whether the magazine can walk a line between remaining aspirational while scoring points on social media.

As ever, decent enough articles about subjects such as anxiety, auto-immune disease, accidents and living with an addict. All the A's. Although I'm so positively influenced by the wellness content in this issue that I've now started eating chocolate from the cupboard.

Christ alive, it feels like I'm only twenty pages into the issue before the fashion section starts! This is definitely not like those months where you wade through twenty pages of ads just to find the first page of the list of contents. And there's no beauty section either!

And while there's a lot more going on in the 106 pages than I first thought, it's mostly bland platitudes about health. This is not one of those January issues that kicks the year off by making you feel excited about fashion in the months ahead.

Lupita is featured in an ad for Lancôme on the back cover. Lupita overload!

That first shot of Kirsty Hume and her daughter should have made the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

They always do this. Getting a spokesperson on the cover seems to be an incentive for the Ad team to sell, sell, sell! I bet they've used Lancome on the cover as well.

The issue is oddly enough already out in my area but the wafer-thin spine, weak content and the fact that it's Lupita once again is putting me off. I'll give this one a miss.

There you go, says it all! I mean Wintour obviously likes Lupita, but it sure helps when she has a powerful advertiser behind her even more. And looking at this issue, they really need it. Just a bit over 100 pages (i have seen supplements thicker than this!), and not even 30 pages of ads in here?! Print mags are barely hanging on. It won't shock me when even they cut down issues!

You suppose it could happen to US Vogue???

I think the problem here is Anna Wintour. Just look at British Vogue and their January issue has +200 pages.

US Vogue don't do a lot of writer content, the September issue has a lot of pages but as writer and editorials has 115 pages...

she is lazy, and that's why the magazine has been so bad. And I think she will stick around almost more 10 years...

^ There is no way Wintour will be at Vogue for next 10 years. Few more years top, but i could easily see her pick her successor next year, after her 30th anniversary. Based on reports she is really loving being Artistic Director of Conde Nast, and could focus on that, and have the same amount of power (sadly). I always felt that was the end goal for Anna, especially when you read how highly she thought of Alexander Liberman, and everything he did for Conde Nast titles. She fancies herself a female version of that ideal.

You suppose it could happen to US Vogue???

I think it's inevitable, even for them. I could see them merging June/July only though. Hopefully it doesn't happen for a while!

Mess. Just when this magazine was picking steam with a few nice issues we get this bland nonsense. No content worth looking at, they managed to make the spring collections look like discounted apparel at Target and you know you've hit rock bottom when people start missing David Sims collection edits...Honestly I wouldn't care if this magazine was bi-annual as long as the edits were actually worth printing, let alone under the VOGUE masthead.

Despite the issue being incredibly thin, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the majority of it after picking up a copy yesterday. I'm liking American Vogue's art direction lately too, especially the typography and layout inside the magazine - very fresh and modern.

Anna talks quite a bit about Ashley Graham in the editor's letter and I can only hope to see Ashley on the cover at some point in the near future. Also, I had no idea whatsoever about Aya Jones' terrible accident and the portrait to accompany the article by Patrick Demarchelier is just beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->