US Vogue July 1976 : Rene Russo by Arthur Elgort

American Dash!—The Key Looks for the Whole Season Pt.1
Photo Arthur Elgort
Models Lisa Cooper, Lisa Taylor, Patti Hansen, Matt Collins, Rosie Vela, Rene Russo, Yasmine Guenancia
Hair Christiaan. Harry King
Makeup Ariella, Way Bandy

Last edited:
Beauty & Health | 99 Ways To Look And Feel Terrific
Photo Chris von Wangenheim, Ishimuro, Jacques Malignon
Models Patti Hansen, Unknown
Hair François of Suga, Rick Gillette
Makeup Sandy Linter, Rick Gillette

vogue archive

Last edited:
^ what a treat to see you back in action, justaguy!! :heart:

And what a way to make a comeback: Charlotte Rampling on the importance of stretching since the mid 70s, living for that. :lol::wub:

Thank you all for a kind messages!! :heart:

Living for all this Lisa Taylor! Exquisite. Thank you justaguy :heart: So lovely to see you at it again, you've been missed! A thousand thanks for all your hard work.

^^ Thank you again all....very nice to be back and seeing all these wonderful vintage scans!! :smile::heart:

Charlotte's photos without text

Article about her article in this issue ...
Why Charlotte Rampling’s 1976 Fitness Guide in Vogue Was Years Ahead of Its Time

Today, Charlotte Rampling’s film 45 Years, in which the iconic British actress plays a woman reflecting on her life on the cusp of her 45th wedding anniversary, opens in the U.K. The movie’s release inspired us to reminisce about Rampling’s own remarkable past, by diving back nearly four decades into the Vogue archives. In a July 1976 feature story—shot by Helmut Newton at her St.-Tropez villa just a few years after her star-making turn in The Night Porter—a then-30-year-old Rampling is not only called “the sexiest woman of the seventies,” but she also reveals exactly how she maintains her beauty from the inside out. What results is a six-page profile on the strategies she regularly employs to, in her words, “keep my . . . mind clear and unobstructed,” amid work, motherhood, friendship, and love—techniques that, even 39 years later, feel extraordinarily modern when considering today’s latest health, fitness, and wellness trends. Here, a look back at the highlights.

Are you familiar with breathing exercises and meditation? Have you recently taken an interest in barre class? Then you are well on your way to a Rampling-esque frame. After enjoying a fresh-from-bed stretch “like a cat,” Rampling heads to the shower to “bend and move.” A trained ballerina, she then makes use of her knowledge of classical technique. “I do ballet movements every day. I started at age five.”

Jogging around her neighborhood, a habit she picked up from her Olympic Gold Medalist father, stimulates her mind and circulation. “It makes the cheeks rosy and gets lots of oxygen deep into the lungs.”

For Rampling, staying fit is all about continual movement. Lounging by the pool, sitting in a chair, or talking to friends, she says, are all occasions for exercise. “I love backbends,” adds the double-jointed former dancer, who considers flexibility a way of life.

Even at the end of a long day, Rampling says she is inspired to keep her heart rate up thanks to her then-three-year-old son, Barnaby, tapping into his beaming toddler energy to “pull myself and move in yoga positions.” According to the actress, the practice “is integrated into my daily never-to-stop habits—like brushing my teeth.” In between, she might lie on her back and simply breathe for ten minutes. “All of these things are of utmost importance for my beauty life. Without these hidden aids, I couldn’t even begin to start with the exterior things.”

When it comes to skin care, tanning is a cardinal sin. “I never take the sun directly for any length of time. . . . One reason English complexions are so famous is that we never see the sun!” For hydration, she drinks mineral water or splashes a bit on her face, and her creams and moisturizers are picked up at the pharmacy. “I go for the straight ingredients . . . Nivea, or collagen cream, or baby oil.” It’s a regimen that leaves little room for makeup—“I let my skin breathe between films”—save for the occasional swipe of bright red lipstick. Sound familiar?
vogue.com + pleasurephoto.wordpress.com

Vogue Patterns | The Basic 4 For Fall
Photo Jacques Malignon
Model Melanie Cain
Hair Harry King
Makeup Ariella

vogue archive

When Shoes and Boots Are This Good-Looking, You Know It's Going To Be a Knockout Fall!
Photo Deborah Turbeville
Models Unknown
Hair Howard Fugler
Makeup Richard Hartenstein

vogue archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back