US Vogue June 2012 : Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte & Serena Williams by Annie Leibovitz

well, people always complain about alt, but anna uses the same models over and over and over again.
This argument falls completely flat for me because while Anna uses a lot of the same girls repeatedly, this year Vogue US has used twice as many different models than Alt has used at Vogue Paris. In terms of variety, I'd say Vogue US is second only to Italia. There's a lot of opportunity to be in the US edition while Paris sticks to a relatively strict rotation of girls.

Karlie's editorial with the male athletes is the definition of "hit or miss" for me. I much prefer something like Raquel's editorial by Testino from the last summer Olympics because she is interacting with the athlete in each shot. A photo of Karlie and an athlete standing stock still next to each other? A waste of both of them, in my opinion. Not to mention boring.

Lack of their necks for example.. :sick: Or all those bumps called muscles :sick: :sick: So not sexy IMO
Or Karlie standing next to that midget...

These men are at the top physical shape in their life and you are complaining about how they aren't muscular enough? To be honest, I think we are looking at totally different pictures because they look plenty fit to me. Also, that "midget" is Jonathan Horton, one of the top athletes in gymnastics, and his size is a big reason why he's done so well. Being short in gymnastics is an advantage. I really don't mean to be rude, but I find the way you typed everything out so offensive (even though I'm sure you didn't mean to be). Have some respect for these men, they can do amazing fetes of athleticism because of their bodies and they shouldn't be expected to look like what hollywood deems muscular/fit.

It's veeery Vanity Fair. This does not look like Vogue at all. The placing and color of the text, sooo VF.

sorry karlie-but raquel did it so much better in 2008. she just looks so lifeless in every shot. not to mention all of those shots look like budget copy's of the 2008 shoot. thats one of the worst edits i've seen in vogue us all year.

These men are at the top physical shape in their life and you are complaining about how they aren't muscular enough?
I meant totally the contrary. All those muscles looks so unnatural and tacky, but I don't believe it's the tFS where this should be discussed (or at least this thread)..Like other members said, this would suited Men's Health or Shape magazine more, but everything is messed up nowadays.

Lack of their necks for example.. :sick: Or all those bumps called muscles :sick: :sick: So not sexy IMO

Hmm. I'm pretty sure that athletes aren't trying to be sexy.

muscles are not unnatural...:huh:
as others have said, to be an athlete, you need to be in top physical form, and it doesn't matter if your sport is tennis, gymnastics, swimming or even ballet...
if you have an issue with athletes being in vogue, well that's a different story...
sports are such a large part of american culture, and many athletes are involved in fashion, be it through their own lines or being at events with anna wintour (i instantly think of maria sharapova, novak, rafael nadal, roger federer, the williams sisters, etc.) so it makes sense that they be featured in vogue, especially in an olympic year...
although serena is a very popular tennis player, she is not the most successful right now...
this would have been the perfect opportunity for vogue to have featured a different female athlete...

the overall theme of the editorial is boring...it just looks played out...
i would much rather see a model interacting with the athlete rather than the athlete posing around karlie...
the harpers bazaar editorial with lucy liu throwing a javelin or the one with the williams sisters actually playing tennis in gowns comes to mind...

I find this issue quite refreshing.
Not for having Annie Leibovitz shoot it or recycling the female model + male athlete edit but for showcasing 3 athletes at the top of their respective sports (2 of whom aren't "famous", b/c let's face it Serena is the only one who is instantly recognizable to the average consumer).
As for those criticizing the issue for focusing on something other than fashion well I must say that fashion coverage can become quite monotonous so to spice things up every now and then is not a sin.

When I first saw the title I thought it said Han Solo and got all excited that it was a Star Wars theme or something. Sadly for me it's sports related.

Honestly I don't like it. I agree it looks like a Vanity Fair cover and would have been better suited for them. Karlie's ed has some great shots but I think I'll be giving this issue a miss.

This is 2012. Are we still using terms like that? :blink:

Jonathan Horton is always a really nice guy in interviews. In that behind the scenes video he said that he felt like a freak of a kid but gymnastics was a release to him. An athletes's profession is not to look like they walked off a catwalk but to have bodies that assist them in their given field. I see nothing wrong with any of their bodies. What I see is dedication to excel.

I think it is refreshing to see athletes on the cover instead of an actress plugging her latest movie even if it looks like an outtake from Baywatch.

I don't think he is that small, I mean Karlie is very, very tall (like 1.90 m I guess) besides she wears heels/pumps in that pic. so let's do a sum ...

~190 cm + ~20 cm = ~2.10 cm! She looks like a GIANT! Everyone looks small aside her (except the basketball player)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geeze... half of the comments on this thread sound like they're gonna end up on a Jezebel article soon :innocent:

The faces are a tad awkward but honestly, Photoshop happens to the best of us. I think it's kinda refreshing to see non-celebrities on the cover too; and let's be honest, this is American Vogue. It's Celebrity/Kate or Gisele/lather/rinse/repeat. I personally find this to be a welcome change!

Anna has always pioneered a sense of American Pride through the magazine so this doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad Hope, Ryan and Serena have landed the cover, they look fantastic and all the content i've seen so far, i'm very very impressed with. I think the comparisons to a Health magazine are warranted but this is Vogue and Annie Leibovitz after all, It's far superior to anything in a Health magazine.

I like the cover. Phelps doesn't photograph well and he'd tower over the girls, probably why he wasn't chosen.

The male gymnast is short because umm.......he's a gymnast! Anything over 5'7 would be too big. It's akin to making the comment about a jockey being short.

Serena is an icon, and highly favored to win 3 gold medals at this years Olympics. Not really following the it's 2000, not 2012 comment. Obviously from someone who doesn't watch the sport. Serena has won her last 13 matches in a row, and is likely to be ranked #1 again in the not too distant future (and she was ranked #1 in 2009 before she was injured). She's easily the most important female athlete around, who else would they chose?

Anyways......I think it looks great. But I stan for Serena so hard I'd think that no matter what.

I agree about Serena ^ she is still as relevant these days as she was 10 years ago in the tennis world.

after watching the making-off video I'm now convinced it is the perfect choice for this issue, I love the inside editorial pics: the best athletes and bodies in the world, the most driven people in their professions and they seem to have great personalities too. Karlie looks amazing but I do prefer Raquel over her in terms of modeling skills, beauty and the fact that, for me, she was better suited to be with athletes but anyways it doesn't take away the skills and beauty Karlie has. I sort of had a mix reaction of different feelings when I saw the cover: I was shocked by the surprising cover subjects, I didn't like the awkwardness of the poses/swimsuits and Serena's face but all in all in the end, this is VOGUE: it's always thinking forward and as Charlotte Cowles, from nymag, said: "Wintour is clearly aware of the overlaps between the sports and fashion worlds. Sure, a lot of fashion fans may not be interested in sports — and vice versa — but the two industries have a lot in common. Their stars become huge celebrities. Both embrace extreme physical ideals, nutty personalities, and showiness. What athletes wear, both in and out of the game, is carefully examined. The way people define themselves by what they wear is not unlike how people define themselves by certain sports teams. Fashion and sports are both utterly frivolous and culturally essential. Both can involve more than a fair amount of spandex, glitter, and sequins." love love love that quote, she's so making my point!

The video of the behind the scenes was fantastic, so many talent there, and Kloss looks stunning.

have to admit, this short video completely changed my perspective and while I still think that cover could be way better, I'm really eager to buy this issue. will be looking after it next week, cause that's probably when it will hit the stands in Poland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheetz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"