US Vogue June/July 2022 : Dua Lipa by Tyler Mitchell

When I was an adolescent, the content in Vogue wasn't aimed at me, it was aimed at women with careers, money and choices. The overall picture painted by those pages was that I had this world to look forward to, the world of the adult woman, people in their twenties, thirties and beyond.

The disparity between then and now, in terms of the maturity levels, is there to see, although the erosion has been gradual, and potentially hard to discern, especially depending on why a person bought fashion/womens magazines.

A magazine is an entire world of messages for a woman, on all sorts of levels, but if someone is buying it for a reason, say, for the fashion alone, there may be dimensions of this 'world' they never took note of in magazines, and therefore would never now notice that these dimensions are gone.

Maybe it was aimed at you. Maybe it was selling you a fantasy of adult life, one that felt believable and authoritative because you were a young consumer. I don't think they were photographing a teenaged Britney Spears for the cover of Vogue in order to cater exclusively to a mature reader. The same holds true for a barely 20 Kirsten Dunst promoting a superhero film, the Spice Girls, starlets like Kate Hudson, or even very young Supermodels (18 year old Naomi scoring a September cover, for example). These women (and most others on the cover and inside) did not accurately reflect the world of serious career-minded women. And how did a 50-something woman with a career and/or family feel, seeing that Britney cover? Or models cavorting on a beach? or whatever? It's always been part fantasy, selling that aspirational version of adulthood to their young readers and selling youth to their older readers. The supermodels of the past few decades were largely booking these covers in their 20s, they were partying and jet-setting, not serious. But to young readers, it probably all felt very adult (certainly it did to me).

I imagine now, if I were 15, I might see a fairly established 26 year old international pop star like Dua Lipa as plenty mature, same for Lorde. Rihanna, in her mid-30s, about to be a mother, with decades of work and thriving businesses under her belt would be aspirational. Dr. Jill Biden, Kamala Harris, Olivia Wilde, Kim K. Adele, SJP. Yeah, we get the occasional Kaia or Bella but they're not *that* young and half the time they're discussing social issues, climate change, mental health or whatever the serious topic du jour is. If I open the magazine now I might find articles on motherhood, divorce, career moves, notable artists, writers, politicians, etc. It's all packaged in a commercial, easily-digestible way and they run alongside features on "Euphoria makeup" and Addison Rae, but they're there and there's always been that mix. Things do change, the details, but it feels fundamentally the same to me. As we get older, perspectives shift. The commercialized version of life they sell feels immature because it's marketing, but it's always been that way. Now you just have the perspective gained through life experience to see it for what it is. But you may also have the rose-colored glasses that I think most of us have for nostalgic things, and it's hard to not see the magazines we loved growing up through that lens. That's my take, anyway.

Last edited:
Can’t she just be the Conde Nasty’s editorial director? Her Vogue is stagnant, uninspiring and dead
She will leave only when she die.
Her job as artistic directos is the worst. All magazines she’s touch has became a vogue number 2. That’s the problem with CN magazines today. The only magazine that stayed true is New Yorker, because she is not the boss.

Dua is just another pop personality of the day with zero charisma. Zero. She doesn't have a single song that will survive the test of time (I actually do not think I know a single song of her's).

She's cute, but what else? I briefly scanned her interview to get some clues and I'm even more turned off...just another vapid product of social media...obsessed with yoga self care, tarot card reading, girl bossery and "philanthropy." Eyes could not roll harder.

And that is to say nothing of Tyler's embarrassingly poor photography skills. Pathetic.
She sounds like person without any hobby ,which spends too much times on Instagram. Next, she saw short footage about discover yourself and thinks she will change the world. She has acccses to best clothes on the worlds and can't create nothing interesting.
I still surprise that she has career in the US.

The set design is one big lol...

Maybe it was aimed at you. Maybe it was selling you a fantasy of adult life, one that felt believable and authoritative because you were a young consumer.

Given that I actually grew up, the fantasy of a woman's life became a reality.

When I was most impressionable, I was someone who had access to British Vogue, plus the occasional issue of French and Italian Vogue, and they were aimed at a sophisticated consumer.

You can't look back at French Vogue at any point, under any editor, and say it was a juvenile magazine. To follow what was being referenced on the cover of Vogue Italia required you to gain a knowledge of film and fashion, in what was pre-internet days. And Liz Tilberis was the editor of UK Vogue...

The cast is exactly like the ones in the June issue of British Vogue masthead, most likely a shared editorial

Where do they find all these utterly insipid photographers and stylist? Easily the worst and the cheapest roster of names of any Vogue out there, which is reflected very obviously in the content of the magazine. There's already a scarcity of content within the mere 100 pages they squeeze out per month, but to make it all so painfully ugly and uninteresting to look at?
This is a magazine with a long history of quite legendary model group shots. Regardless of the generation, these girls deserve to be immortalised in such a portrait that we saw of the 1992 girls or the 2004 girls. Some quality content we can all look back to and remember how good these girls were, cause they were. It's a great casting (for the most part) and this is an actual shot that someone thought of, shot, got paid for and then got it printed in an actual magazine? It's barely a test shot. That messy corner with all the stuff and someone's goddamn knee, as well as the mess behind the couch like.... what the actual f*ck? People move things out of frame for their 157 followers on Instagram. How the hell do you have a Vogue budget and publish a photograph like that? I'm literally so upset that thee Anna Wintour allowed her magazine to come down to whatever this is. This is not progressive, this is not artistic, embracing young talent doesn't equal hiring the literally worst of the worst photographers you can find on the street. It's so embarrassing. And to have the audacity to shove this trash into every edition out there... disgusting.

P.S. Seeing the full article made me realise I went on this rant for nothing. It's a backstage story, not really an editorial because most of the article seems to be compiled selfies - but my point still stands. Past Anna Wintour would never, because even the backstage photographs shot by Robert Fairer among others were something to look forward to.

Disappointed cover. I think than this editorial is the worse's Dua fashion features on the entrie career.

Got this in the mail today. A hefty 144 pages.

Review, in addition to cover story:

"Ruling Class"
Photographer: Micaiah Carter
Stylist: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Danai Gurira

"In Deep"
Photographer: Santiago Sierra Soler
Stylist: Tonne Goodman
Tindi Mar, "captured in her intentional eco-community"

"Model Behavior"
Photographer: Jack Day
Stylist: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson, Jack Borkett
Bella Hadid, Gigi Hadid, Vittoria Ceretti, Mona Tougaard, Anok Yai, Adut Akech, Sherry Shi, Kendall Jenner, Kaia Gerber, Sora Choi, Paloma Elsesser, Alton mason, Hoyeon Jung

lol quote from Gigi, "Good models have a sense of how to carry any style-I think that's why we shoot each other well..."

"New Horizons"
an accessories edit with various photographers??

Also, a Patrick Demarchelier tribute from Grace Coddington, a life in Russia article from a Moscow-born writer, Ivy Getty by Lynn Yaeger, "Dateline Ukraine" profiling various female reporters in Ukraine

THE REBIRTH OF DUA LIPA
Photography:
Tyler Mitchell
Styling: Jorden Bickham
Hair: Evanie Frausto
Make-up: Marcelo Gutierrez
Model/Celebrity: Dua Lipa

US Vogue Digital Edition

MODEL BEHAVIOR (Shared content with UK Vogue)
Photography: Jack Day
Styling: Jack Borkett & Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Hair: Joseph Pujalte
Make-up: Kanako Takase
Models: Bella Hadid, Gigi Hadid, Mona Tougaard, Vittoria Ceretti, Anok Yai, Adut Akech, Sherry Shi, Kaia Gerber, Kendall Jenner, Paloma Elsesser & Sora Choi

US Vogue Digital Edition

NEW HORIZONS
Photography:
Delali Ayivi, Guanyu Xu, Andrew Nuding, Leonard Suryajaya, Sarah Leïla Payan, Siena Saba & Olivia Galli

US Vogue Digital Edition

This is the lowest of the lows for Vogue US.

I like Tindi's editorial. The cover looks better with more saturation, like Zorka's version. Still, her expression and position can't save it. So bad they chose that picture for this cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->