US Vogue March 2020 : Billie Eilish by Hassan Hajjaj, Ethan James Green, Harley Weir & Nastya Kovtun

I love it! I didn't like the neon roots at first but without them it wouldn't have been as impactful, and good for Billie for getting Vogue to adapt to her style as opposed to the other way around. The power of stars nowadays.

Just saw the Versace cover and it is even better! The other two are unnecessary.

3rd Cover by Harley Weir:

The colors make my eyes twitch in a way that makes me want to hate these covers, but I think I like them. Particularly the Harley Weir one.

There’s also a digital cover that is an illustration of Billie by a 16 year old.

Initially I was taken aback for a moment, but I can't hate on it. It's not exactly on-brand for US Vogue, but it works perfectly for Billie.
I love the colors from the first cover, it's unlike anything Vogue has done in years and it probably wouldn't have been as good if it were anyone besides Billie. She's serving gorgeous face and even the green roots work, it's really interesting.
Ethan's cover is safer, even though I dislike the jacket but again, Billie makes it work for me. Initially I wished they'd do a transformation with her, like V Magazine did, but now I'm glad they let her stay true to her personal style because it really works well here. Great cover from Ethan.
Harley's, again, not on-brand (it looks like a Dazed cover) but somehow also works really well? I even like all the green, which I usually don't.
I may be biased, but I love all three covers. Vogue's good streak continues!

I am not particularly fond of their new-found interest in publishing multiple covers, though.

I really like the first two covers! Very different for US Vogue but they work. I’m not sure about Harley’s and the illustrated one though

Wow these are great! I was curious to see how it would turn out cause her personal style is not traditional Vogue, but they managed to meet in the middle quite nicely. She looks very much like herself but also very pretty and even a bit glamorous. Great job.

Photography: Hassan Hajjaj, Ethan James Green, Harley Weir
Fashion Editor: Alex Harrington
Illustration: Jesse Mockrin, Kaylee Yang
Hair: Mustafa Yanaz, Holli Smith
Make-up: Fara Homidi

Vogue

Although Hassan's cover is my favorite, his part in the editorial is the weakest for me. Harley's interesting, but EJG is the obvious winner here. Fantastic shots! I wish there were more.

Ethan's cover should have been the only one really. It toes the fine line of showing what she's about and staying somewhat true to American Vogue's visual style. Don't care for the rest, least of all the illustration! What's with the multi covers of late? Stop it, please. We get enough of it elsewhere.

Overall I find these covers sort of sad. It's the first time they've gone so aggressively for such a 'youth' subject, with 'youth' optics, targeting a 'youth' audience almost exclusively with all these different 'gotta catch 'em all' multi covers which, suprise suprise, the likes of ID and Dazed do on the regular. At least with Zendaya and the others, there was an air of maturity and substance to their covers. This, however, is solely for her tweeny Instagram followers. And even putting Meryl Streep on their cover next month won't redeem them.

Good luck catering to the Instagrammers and those lacking in any form of taste, I certainly won't be getting this on principle alone!

I love them. Don’t care about the digital cover. Ethan’s is the best by far as always.

I like Larache & Green´s covers, they´re the most Vogue... but do teens spend money buying multiple covers? do they even care about Vogue?

Personally love it. I didn't expect it to work out at all so maybe my low expectations are influencing my reaction to the images - but so far I genuinely like it. Maybe a second look would change my view.

Not sure about them for Vogue though they aren't exactly bad. Am always curious to see how these celebrities look outside their safety net like when Vogue gave Christina Aguilera the high fashion treatment. I wish they had given her the 'vogue' treatment while sticking to her aesthetic. This feels like a cover dot Paper or ID or her album cover.

The Hassan and Ethan covers are stunning. The Ethan cover could have been the only cover, but I see why they refused to run it alone as it is very reminiscent to Rihanna's cover.

I also love how they made her look more mature. This feels very Vogue and not Teen Vogue.

Although, surprised that Anna didn't make her change her look. This hair debuted in ELLE. I wish they changed it a bit.

Lastly, credit where credit is due. Kudos to Anna for championing a new set of photographers. Hassan, Ethan James, Jamie, Tyler. I feel that such fact is always left unnoticed.

That digital cover and Harley's cover should never see the light of day. NEVER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->