US Vogue March 2020 : Billie Eilish by Hassan Hajjaj, Ethan James Green, Harley Weir & Nastya Kovtun

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by aracic, Feb 3, 2020.

1. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Omg, she will be the fashion director? This magazine now will be relevant. I love Alex!

TaylorBinque and Lola701 like this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Right, it's a power move!

TaylorBinque, Lola701 and caioherrero like this.
  3. caioherrero

I really think now Anna and Vogue needs to be worried. Since she left W she made incredible job at Porter and contributing to WSJ.
    I think Nina made an excellent move with this one.

Lola701 likes this.
  4. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Will it though?

Remember Joe Zee’s tenure as fashion director? He wasn’t able to bring his W magic to Elle.

And all the big photographers Alex loves to work with are tied up at Conde Nast, so they will not be working for a Hearst title like Elle.

Just look at Carine for Bazaar. She isn’t able to lure any real big names to Bazaar, save for a sporadic Mario Sorrenti ed.

So I have doubts.

Lola701 likes this.
  5. caioherrero

Honestly there’s a lot of talent out there, so I think she can work with others photographers and to wonderful job. If you look the big names photographers new works it’s not that relevant either

Benn98 likes this.
  6. caioherrero

And other thing, for me Carine was that good in Vogue Paris bc of the creative Director, not only because of her. If you look Alex work outside W is still amazing.

Lola701 and Benn98 like this.
  7. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

in the end it's team work... Carine's VP team was solid...and i'm sure Alt is more ego driven than her that's why she cannot let other shine more than her...

8. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

YESSSSSSSSSSS Living for your quote, you literally took the words out of my mouth !!! I want GLAMOUR, dresses, beauty and chic and elegant poses not trashy hideous looking rappers or singers dressed in hoodies and sh**** clothes which have NOTHING to do with Vogue as a brand which used to be pinnacle of refinement and elegance !!!

9. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Billie and have no problem with her on the cover, but this looks like 'Rolling Stone' or 'Entertainment Weekly'.

10. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Magazines have reached the point where getting the cover counts - in that it can be splashed all over social media as an achievement - but beyond that, very few publications are producing the type of fashion imagery that really stands out right now, never mind stands the test of time as a reference for future generations.

The content has become an afterthought to support the fading importance of being on the front of something. The magazine itself is no longer an enjoyable experience for any purchaser of the physical object.

11. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

And THAT my friends is the very reason why I keep saying that sooooon all top fashion print magazines will fade away because they aren't able to maintain their prestige and hype beyond the social media stratosphere: they are mere products made for Instagram; therefore they will go to digital only and then close down.

UNLESS magazine editors change their ways and stop targetting at generation z and their silly ``influencers´´ and they start marketing at US: real magazine buyers and followers for decades of these titles and what they used to represent.

12. aracic

aracic Moderator

Pretty much, yeah. Cause I'm not paying $21.65 through newsstand.co.uk for miss Billie Eilish and three weak sterile editorials starring random people who bring nothing to the story. I'll rather go on eBay and invest that money into any issue published before 2005.

13. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Exactly, the fantasy and art no longer exists. Magazines are now competing with Instagram which is free. Kids are doing the same and better with their iPhones.

dfl-001 and Bertrando3 like this.
  14. timandnorah

timandnorah Member

I feel as though a lot of users on this forum are pretty delulu about their influence, the industry, and who actually buys magazines nowadays. The percentage of hardcore, longtime fashion lovers on here that buy magazines based on editorial merit is a much smaller percentage than it once was. There’s a new generation for Vogue to appeal to, and it’s changing again just as it once did to suit us.

It’s a business first and a brand (as a close) second. If they can capture those peripherally interested in fashion as well as Gen Z and the casual airport/newsstand crowd then they’ll do it. Be thankful they’re producing unique, gorgeous covers lately and haven’t taken the HB route. And for the record, the Harley Weir cover is the coolest.

15. Royal-Galliano

Royal-Galliano Well-Known Member

this is probably the first time in a very long time I like all the covers equally. well, except for the illustrated one :lol:

which brings me to a question who is the vogue reader now? i can't imagine billie appealing to virtually anyone with the liking in classic (yet constantly reinventing) standards of fashion and beauty (as presented by vogue for decades). she is a beautiful woman–there's no doubt about it–but her cyberpunk style is a bit hard to swallow. on the other hand, i applaud her for being bold enough not to let herself transformed into another generic pop sensation.

but yes. i'm also too old for this antifashion thing.

Benn98 likes this.
  16. IndigoHomme

IndigoHomme Well-Known Member

This girl is the new Lorde... Where is Lorde now? Bang.

17. aracic

aracic Moderator

No.

phungnam96 and libra like this.
  18. IndigoHomme

IndigoHomme Well-Known Member

Come on! A teenage girl against the music system as a flag of a new era... The same tale of every 3 or 4 years

russianelf and Benn98 like this.
  19. aracic

aracic Moderator

Ok, when you put it like that... But still, I can't see her on the same level as Lorde! Her albums were some of the best music of the last decade.

phungnam96 and libra like this.
  20. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Well-Known Member

All with momagers that stoke the press tour :lol: We'll get a burnout expose shortly.

Benn98 likes this.