US Vogue May 2005 : Liya Kebede by Steven Meisel

I love that Be Cool ed. It's a shame Meisel hardly does studio work like this anymore in vogue (that seems to be Sims' work).

Gemma looks stunning i her ed. Love her in the red dress and the pic of her playing the cello with her eyes closed is beyond gorgeous!

I really liked the colour scheme of the cover shot - you can't go wrong with the impact of black-white-red.

This issue was pretty great, I love the Gemma/Testino eds, it's one of the best eds he's ever done IMO (especially the picture of her in Van Noten with the LA Theater in the background :blush:)

I also love the 'Be Cool' editorial, the styling is bright and interesting and the models look great..........unlike Sims' work :(

I love this issue too, which I don't have yet.
Gemma :cry::heart: And Karen too!
Thanks for the pics, Annie :smile:

I remember buying this issue solely because Liya was on the cover. And then opening the magazine and looking at the contents, which were (and still are) great! I no longer have the issue with me and it's good to look back at it.

my review from then...all runway pics from style.com

cover: Liya in Chanel Haute Couture by Steven Meisel

ads: Lancome Tresor 15 yr. anniversary 4 pg. foldout (Ines)
Gap 2 pg. (Jessica Miller)
Vuitton 2 pg. (Uma closeup w/denim bag)
Gucci 2 pg. (Natasha w/glasses/necklace)
YSL 2 pg.
Estee Lauder Graphic Colour Shadow Quad 2 pg. (Liya)
Ebel 1 pg. (Claudia Schiffer)
Michael Michael Kors 4 pg. (Jason Lewis, Molly Sims)
Tiffany's 2 pg. (Shalom)
Neiman Marcus 1 pg. (Caroline Riberio)
David Yurman 2 pg. (Amber)
MAC Viva Glam 1 pg. (Pam Anderson)
Garnier 2 pg. (Heather Graham)
Prada eyewear 1 pg. (Shannan Click)
LaPerla Beachwear 1 pg. (Rianne)
Moschino I love I love fragrance 1 pg. (Lily Cole)
DKNY Swim 1 pg.

eds:
"Be Cool" by Steven Meisel (styled by Grace Coddington). Gemma, Lisa Cant, Liya, Daria, Karen Elson, and Caroline Trentini in printed suits and separates. White backgrounds, but interesting poses and interesting styling: Marni with Proenza Schouler, YSL safari jacket w/ Dolce & Gabbana peacock skirt, Michael Kors tiger print topcoat w/Miu Miu feather print shift. Something about Lisa and Caroline seems off here (as did the inclusion of Dolce & Gabbana's python overcoat and matching boots), but a stimulating ed.

"Hot Town: by Mario Testino (styled by Tonne Goodman). Gemma at what looks like the Gehry-designed hall in L.A....beautifully styled, she's in Prada, Carolina Herrera, Dries van Noten, YSL, Chloe, Marni, Rochas, Helmut Lang & Jil Sander. she's smiling, playing the cello, there's something fresh about these shots...Gemma is truly a star.

00410f.jpg
00300f.jpg

00090f.jpg
00420f.jpg

"Adventures in Shopping" by Jonathan Becker. Shopping with Veronica Webb, gallery owner Amalia Dayan, and Kelly Wearstler. Pretty much what you'd expect...although i did enjoy the piece on Webb.

"Role Model" by Steven Meisel. Profile of Liya Kebede and her new role at the World Health Organization. Unfortunately, there is only one portrait of Liya, black and white, and the article is only a page long.

"The Chanel Century" by Steven Meisel. Article on Met retrospective on Chanel, with pics of Lily Donaldson in vintage and current Chanel pieces. there's also a timeline of Chanel in Vogue, with pics of Tina Chow and photos by Irving Penn. Lily has really grown on me as of late...she has a look that is very "couture," so it definitely works with these vintage pieces.

"Coming Clean" by Norma Jean Roy. Catching up with Donatella Versace, after her recent stint in rehab. Nice portrait of her in jeans/t-shirt not so heavily made up.

also:

"Winner Takes All" by Raymond Meier. Interview with Liev Schreiber

Girl of the Moment is Gemma, with pics of her backstage and at events in Marc by Marc, Helmut Lang and Luella.

Vogue Index is about making your home chic, with tips from Tory Burch, Olivia Chantecaille, Alice Temperley, Diane vonFurstenberg and more.

"Muse Worthy" on Viktor & Rolf's recent collaboration with Tori Amos

Life with Andre centers around Oscar fashion

verdict After lackluster issues for March and April, Vogue seems to have stepped it up a bit here. Although Liya got the cover, too bad Anna didn't see fit to give her a larger ed inside. How great it would have been to see her over 6-8 pages! 3 out of 4 stars.

I remember seeing this cover on the shelf and thinking wow she is really beautiful,who is this girl? one of my favorite covers of all times, so beautiful

"Role Model"
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Garren
Makeup: Pat McGrath

hfgl.proboards

Be Cool
Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington
Make-up: Pat McGrath
Models: Caroline Trentini, Daria Werbowy, Gemma Ward, Karen Elson, Lisa Cant, Liya Kebede

vogue

The Chanel Century
Photography: Steven Meisel
Hair: Julien d'Ys
Make-up: Pat McGrath
Model: Lily Donaldson

vogue

Both ‘Be Cool’ and ‘The Chanel Century’ are Meisel perfection!

Although none of the shots are bad, I always felt disappointed by Liya’s ed. It’s just a collection of cover tries. The unpublished out take is actually the best shot and would’ve made a beautiful cover.

Almost entire Chanel ed (exept BW image) can be found on vogue.com in huge size and in amazing quality. Just google lily donaldson vogue.com and you will find them.

"Be Cool"
Models: Gemma Ward, Lisa Cant, Liya Kebede, Daria Werbowy, Karen Elson & Caroline Trentini
Makeup: Pat McGrath

archive.vogue.com

"Hot Town"
Model: Gemma Ward
Photographer: Mario Testino
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Orlando Pita
Makeup: Gucci Westman
Set Designer: Jack Flanagan