US Vogue May 2015 : Carey Mulligan by Mikael Jansson

of course Fei Fei only gets an only girl editorial when its centered around "the far east" :rolleyes: I'm legitimately shocked that they didn't try to squeeze Karlie or Kendall in there with her. the results are stunning I'll give them that though.
When it comes to Carey Mulligan, I love her acting. I think she's a easy natural talent on the screen. In photographs though she is completely a bore, especially her Vogue shoots. A third cover is completely uncalled for tbh.

Actually dont think its true, because this is not the first OG ed Fei Fei had in US Vogue, so i disagree with you on that criticism. Completely second your thoughts about Carey, and this cover, though.

I meant her time as a sort of fashion/indie film it-girl. She's taken been virtually MIA onscreen since 2013, and there hasn't been any real buzz about Far From the Madding Crowd (Suffragette, out this fall, has already garnered more attention). I really don't mean to be shady and I know she does great roles in film and theater. I just think it's pretty remarkable that Carey's scored three Vogue covers while Amy Adams just got her very first one at the end of last year.

She has been MIA since 2013? That was two years ago! Plenty of actors take a year off. Ryan Gosling also took a year off last year, FYI.

Mulligan is known for being unprolific compared to some of her contemporaries (David Hare even made a comment on this), but that doesn't mean her star is falling at all. You said it yourself, Suffragette has garnered a lot of buzz. That's because it's getting an end-of-year release and if the reviews are good enough, they will probably campaign heavily. It's the same studio that did the campaigning for The Theory of Everything last year.

Mulligan has never really been one to care about fashion, so I doubt she cares that her position as a fashion figure is being compromised at all. Even then, she and Miuccia Prada formed a close friendship and a lot of designers have been dying to dress her. And considering she's going to be 30 this year, I'm sure she'll be happy to know that she's no longer in that 'it-girl/ingenue' phase. You make it seem like the fact that she is neither of those any more is a bad thing. I wasn't aware that you needed both as a prerequisite for a Vogue cover.

And it's possible she'll be getting a Tony nomination in a few weeks time. The reviews for Skylight have been incredible on both sides of the pond. So possible Tony and Oscar nominations all in one year and you're questioning why she has a third Vogue cover when somebody like Blake Lively who hasn't even achieved 1/2 of what she has done got there before her already last year?

I like Adams, but she is even less of a fashion plate than Mulligan and she certainly isn't an 'it-girl'. Isn't there enough room for both?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course there's room for them all, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I simply find it surprising and impressive that she's been on US Vogue more times many other more relevant and popular American women considering how commercially-oriented the mag is. She focuses on her work and hasn't seemed to be courting the fashion world that much, so I wouldn't have been surprised if the biggest fashion publication lost interest. That's all.

i don't care for feifei's editorial but at least it's nice to see something DIFFERENT

oh god, what a poor, sad, boring cover... she looks ill or like she didnt sleep well...

Carey's hair color is throwing me off.
The review for this issue is outstanding!!!

Carey... Siena... Anna sure loves Brits no ones else cates about. The only time Carey has been even remotely interesting was when she briefly dated Shia. She's a total pop culture non factor regardless of what "great" movie she's in. I understand her first cover because she was kinda a new it girl and I could even understand her second since it was for THE fashion film of that year but this one just baffles me although I did guess in the rumor thread it would be someone out of left field.

Beautiful cover but I am beyond thrilled to see Meisel back in US Vogue! What a gorgeous ed! Plus, I'm so happy for Andreja scoring a OG ed by Demarchelier.:buzz:

I might be the only one but I'm so excited to see Nick kyrgios in Vogue!

FeiFei's editorial has nothing to do with the East...It's the East in the Western eyes.

^ which fits the theme, it's about this year's Met gala isnt?

I think Rachel McAdams would have suited this better, and she is set to have a bang up year with True Detective and 3 films coming out. Also, you know, an American!

Rachel is Canadian. :cool:

The cover ... pretty. I appreciate that the photoshop seems to be limited. It's refreshing to see a more natural cover. I find Carey to be a fantastic actress, she really comes alive on screen. In photos, though, I agree with many of you - just a bit dull. It shouldn't bother her, she's an actress not a model. And not everyone has that Nicole Kidman/Angelina Jolie/Charlize Theron quality where they are able to channel all their charisma into still photos, as well as on screen.

Fei Fei's editorial is a masterpiece. Some of those couture gowns are utterly breathtaking and I love the variety of poses she's employing to show them off. The colours are stunning. It's great to see Meisel back in US Vogue.

The rest of the content looks promising, too, actually! I'm probably most excited for Andreja's editorial. This is definitely her first OG edit in Vogue, yes?

I don't like this cover at all. Carey looks lifeless, and the red looks too much like a December holiday over. Better than April's cover, but not by much. Please retire, Anna!!

Meisel and Fei Fei always deliver :clap:
Thank God Kendall is absent in this issue :lol:

Carey Mulligan is a beautiful woman and a great actress, glad she has two major movies being released this year, but she only looks OK on this cover, the whole styling doesn't do her justice.

i dony like the cover, look very depres, i like see Meisel in Vogue Us but this editorial with the amateur saturation is a shame

^ Exactly, thank god they left her moles, she looks pretty. Last few of their covers have been surprisingly, and refreshingly "natural".

It is fascinating the extent of power Wintour has at CN! I mean if she likes you, nothing else matters. Her previous two covers were absolute bombs at the newsstands. Especially the last one that Testino shot, i believe, i remember reading it was the worst selling issue of the year. But none of that matters if Wintour adores you! I bet a model cover, even with unknown would sell better than Carey!

True! The cover stars for April and May both bombed (sales wise) on the newsstand during their respective years! Remember that 2012 issue with TEAM USA that happened to be the worst selling of that year I think? Or one of the worst. same with the 2 covers of Carey but here they are now on their 2nd and 3rd Vogue covers. The power you have when Anna Wintour backs you up. It's really amazing! It's like she doesn't even care about the sales. If you're her favorite, you get a cover no matter what.

I let out a sigh when I saw the title of the thread but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this cover, she doesn't look nearly as coma inducing as she normally does...maybe it's juts the change of hair colour but this definitely draws me in.

The New World
Photographer:
Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Tonne Goodman
Model: Andreja Pejic
Make-up: Yadim
Hair: Shay Ashual

*fashioscansremastered.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members