US Vogue May 2018 : Amal Clooney by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Apr 10, 2018.

1. chanelh

chanelh Well-Known Member

OMG, the editorial story looks like a cliche soap opera caption, so pretentious and cheap, Vogue is literally dying.
    they should stop the whole political things and stop pretending to be the voice of the country and women. Vogue is a fashion magazine, that's it, Anna's ambition is ruining the magazine

2. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Ugh the styling and background is so pedestrian. I hate that because she's a "serious" person they couldn't give her a proper Vogue treatment, especially since she's a gorgeous woman with great personal style.

3. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

Well I didn't expect to see her here and it's a nice portrait but not cover worthy at all.

4. Zposen

Zposen Well-Known Member

They should have gone with Taylor Hill... this is beyond horrible and she is not even attractive...

5. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Active Member

This is bad. This is People or InStyle. Not Vogue.

#25 liv4beauty, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 10, 2018
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I should appreciate their nod to the effortless yet glamorous features of Sandra, Renee, Nicole etc about a decade ago, but this is just too vomitory. She clearly wanted to be depicted as a Hollywood star, which was probably why Tonne styled her as a poor man's Angelina Jolie.

And yes, definitely a trophy wife! Not exactly a first for Anna, she did give the cover to Melania and Kim after all.

7. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

I like Amal. I like what is standing for and what she has accomplished. So what if she's married to one the most famous actor on earth. She shouldn't be little as a trophy-wife. And, yes, I knew her before met her husband.

The fact that she loves fashion and we get this sort of styling treatment is very annoying. The cover shot looks awkward and the elements didn't come together. I also wish Vogue give opportunities for younger and rising photographers. Maybe it's time for them to push for more female photographers since the top male ones are on their way out.

8. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

A fall 2018 look on a May cover already?

Why the rush?~

I don't like anything about this cover. Everything just looks so amateur from her expression to the styling to the background (did Annie have a hard time choosing either the concrete walls or the leaves? Make up your mind!).

And the editorial is hardly better. There's no air of allure or effortlessness to her posing. I chuckled at the shot with the teenage girl because of how awkwardly staged it looks.

9. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

Her styling is most of the time just like Kate Middleton's styling, nice but totally not exciting, not modern, not fashion forward, just boring.

10. brikin

brikin Member

My face lit up when I read that Amal was this month's cover star, but *not surprisingly* this cover is a huge let down. I really cannot wait for Anna Wintour to leave Vogue already, there hasn't been a single issue this year that i've enjoyed.

11. Piet Retief

Piet Retief Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. I really find Amal to be very attractive and I like her personal style.

I'm not the biggest fan of this cover image though.

12. magsaddict

magsaddict Well-Known Member

so so cheap and lifestyley, not even supplement worthy. I don't think Amal is a big a scoop as Vogue thinks, two years ago maybe.

13. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

Well, on a positive note, I'm glad they didn't photoshop her much.

14. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Seeing this cover, made me re-think Serena's, for sure! :lol: Who knew back in January, far worse was to come! Amal clearly adores fashion, and being famous! So why not use that, and style her in something interesting?!

As for her career, please! Those who know what is up, realize what a bunch of PR (Clooney) spin it is! There are so many more lawyers who are stunning, photogenic, stylish and have far better career's than her, but they lack the Hollywood Star for a husband. In theory, i do like that Anna, (for once), went outside of Movie & Pop Star territory. But i would have picked Mary Kate, and Ashley for instance.

15. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

This is what happens when the first lady is of the "wrong" political party affiliation.

Anyway, surprised it took this long for her to get the cover. Surprised the result is THIS awful. I know American Vogue is busy championing all their social causes that it bears very little relation to actual fashion these days, but c'mon, they couldn't at least make an effort here? We get it, she's a "serious, independent, career woman" but she's clearly not above the fashion circus. Would it really hurt the agenda that much to make the cover look at least half fashiony?

#35 MyNameIs, Apr 10, 2018
  16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Like who? Gloria Allred? :rofl:

Yes! Queen Letitzia > Duchess Kate > Carla Bruni-Sarkozy > Melania...basically inoffensive for mass appeal.

17. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

That may be a positive but I for one miss when Vogue used to make their cover stars look stunning regardless of what tricks they may have used. When I scrolled past this on Instagram I swear I thought, this is a pretty big exclusive for Vogue Mexico.

This looks like one of the cheap Vogue covers Lucky used to do towards the end.

18. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

If you're going to appear on the cover of a fashion magazine, sell fashion, or at least give into old-fashioned glamour.

If you're trying to 'reach a different audience' with your very important message, you still have to appeal to them enough that they'll pay attention.

If you don't want to do that, you can pose for portraits for current affairs magazines, they're always in need of photogenic people.

19. t-rex

t-rex everything sucks!

Cheap, it looks like a photo taken of her at an event

#39 t-rex, Apr 10, 2018
  20. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Active Member

The cover and garden pictures look like a fanmade recreation of Michelle Obama’s last cover story. People magazine could produce a better cover than this. I don’t understand why they picked Amal.