US Vogue May 2018 : Amal Clooney by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

I actually didn't even notice the "exclusive" on the cover, are they kidding me!!! That is not People, but OK magazine level. :rofl:

2. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

The cover is pretty cheesy, but I think Amal is certainly a worthy cover subject. She's a successful, intelligent, international woman. She clearly loves fashion and she's married to one of the biggest movie stars of the past quarter century. If she's not VOGUE than I don't know what is?

3. Faith Akiyama

Can't agree more. Cover quality notwithstanding, she is spot-on for US Vogue.

4. Khabeer

Khabeer Member

I really hope those Anna Wintour retirement rumors are true. I can't take the banality of this cover. Where is the fashion? Where is the fantasy? People magazine is that you? Us Weekly or nah? While Amal is a beautiful woman, those eyes! That hair!*♀️ They could have done so much more with her and this is what we get... The same outfit twice in the editorial ️ I'M SO SICK OF VOGUE AND THEY bullsh*t! The only silver lining is that they didn't use that terrible grey backdrop again.....

5. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

A pretty random choice but I'll take her over Anna's pathetic pandering to the instagram crowd any day.

6. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

No issue with Amal getting a cover and I might actually buy it if the editorials are decent. She looks absolutely gorgeous but I think the photo itself does feel more appropriate for Town & Country or something. That said, the April cover with Kendall was far more fashion than US Vogue normally goes, so perhaps they can be forgiven for going a bit in the other direction for May.

7. squilliam

squilliam Member

Is she really respected though? I feel like she's more "feared", people say nice things about her so they keep getting hired, just like how no one criticizes big designers anymore so they could still get invites to the shows and stuff

8. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I think Melania is going to get a cover in the near future, regardless of Anna's disapproval of the administration. A Melania cover in my eyes doesn't mean that Anna's views suddenly shifted or that she sold out - the woman is the First Lady of the United States, has a model figure, wears a lot of designer clothes and says so little in general that an interview for a major magazine would be welcome by everyone. But I can see why some people think differently, and that's okay.

On a side note, I'd also like to point out how silly I find it that some of you refer to Amal as a "trophy wife" just because she happened to marry one of the most famous actors in world. Sure she wasn't in the spotlight before the marriage, but she built an enviable career way before Clooney.

9. biagiolr

biagiolr Member

She is a beautiful woman, but i don't like her faca in the pictures. The cover has a sort of paparazzi/gossip-mag look and this is not what readers are expecting by Vogue. They have a huge potential, but act like they are no more interested in delivering new beautiful covers and edits!

10. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

And? She’s a nullity. Her existence is the public eye is solely justified by being married to an extremely dangerous white supremacist that unfortunately happens to be POTUS. Melania has absolutely no independent life, if Anna puts her on the cover it will be seen, and rightly so, as an endorsement of her husband. Said that i agree with you, i wouldn’t put it past her to have Melania on the cover, everyone is a sell out in this business.

#70 Les_Sucettes, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited by moderator optimusprime: Apr 11, 2018
  11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

It's when you bear in mind the celebrity and past lovers of George Clooney when it becomes as clear as daylight how he ended up with Amal. Here you have a classic rake who used his romantic relationships as some bargaining force for his own public image. That he ended up with one of the most good-looking, fertile, intelligent and successful women isn't a coincidence. Let's be frank here, their marriage helped realise this 'king of Hollywood' image of his.

12. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

What? :lol: All you mentioned is good enough for her to be IN the magazine NOT on the cover of it!! What has her "activism" got to do with it? Success, look up her career, please so much is smoke screen PR! Do you know how many accomplished female lawyers who love Fashion, and are "international women" there is? They won't get the cover, or even a feature consideration because they are not married to a fame wh*re movie star!

Let's call this nonsense exactly what it is, classic case of trophy wife privilege. She is a co-host for this year's Met Gala, AGAIN, because of her husband, excuse me while i don't worship someone using her husband to get magazine covers, and accolation. If she was as smart as so many of you say, she would never have accepted this cover in the first place. But she obviously loves being "famous" now.

Can't wait to see how hard this issue bombs, maybe for once Rihanna won't be a worst seller of the year. :lol:

13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal New Member

:lol:

14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol: For once, yes!

The issue isn't out yet? I'm keen to see the review. Hope they pulled out all the stunts for the MET gala feature.

15. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Photographer: Philip-Lorca diCorcia
    Fashion Editor: Phyllis Posnick
    Models: Vittoria Ceretti, Rianne Van Rompaey, Edie Campbell, Mayowa Nicholas & Van Rompaey
    Hair: Julien d’Ys
    Makeup: Diane Kendal
    Manicure: Jin Soon Choi
    Set Design: Andrea Stanley

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    vogue.com

16. Nocturnal

Nocturnal New Member

^ Amazing. I wish designers would be that creative nowadays.

17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Would've preferred Leibovitz to shoot this story instead, it's where she excels.
    Must say I never thought of that Balenciaga wedding look in a religious context. But it's perhaps the most fitting outfit in this editorial without being too literal. The entire construction literally looks like a nun in motion.

18. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

This met story is boring as hell. The editorial in Vogue Brazil feb 2013 with Izabel Goulart and styled by Anna Dello Russo is better than this.

19. June

June Well-Known Member

I used to be a fan of Vittoria but I think she is the weakest link in that editorial. But even if her posing and facial expression in the first picture would have been better I would never have liked it because I just find the idea of putting a baby in a diaper into this setting cringeworthy.

20. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Hmm....the Met Costume editorial is not that great...and I’m Philip Lorca DiCorcia’s biggest fan.

Frankly, I think he’s an odd choice for this particular theme. He’s really so strong at elevating and transforming ordinary people and settings into something strange, cinematic, dreamlike, perverse...

Meisel usually shoots the Met editorial and I think it was a miss not to use him this particular year.