Unstoppable
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Celeb: Rihanna
Styling: Camilla Nickerson
Hair: Ursula Stephen
Make-Up: Aaron de Mey
Nails: Kimmie Keyees

Digital Edition Vogue 11/2012

Oh, that Rihanna ed...it's just fantastic. The only criticism is the last image, where she looks considerably less fearsome (due to her small stature) but it's beautiful nonetheless. I also adore Steven Meisel's editorial of Kate Upton. She cleans up so well, and with his eye for oddities and beauty - he brings fourth her little imperfections and turn them in her favour - it is a phenomenal editorial.

The only criticism is the last image, where she looks considerably less fearsome (due to her small stature)

The picture is really ugly, but I think it is not due to his stature, because Rihanna's height is between 1.75 and 1.80 cm

wow, i didnt expect the editorials inside to be THIS good (except kate and rihanna's), they are beautiful and fun.

Who knew Kate would be perfect for Meisel, that looks like one of his classic eds from back when...just fantastic!

Also love the McDean ed, typical stuff he does for US Vogue, but it works every time.

And Matt Cyruss thanks a million for all your posts.

I did the review using the digital version, which Xio Wen is in. Now I know they leave some out of the print version.

That's a really interesting situation! I wonder if it was intentional (e.g. To save budget on printing pages) or if a mistake was made...I don't remember this happening with previous issues, but maybe I just didn't pay enough attention :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Kate's editorial, and I'm glad they didn't airbrush her body too much.

Rihanna's story was a fine read, but it felt a little too filled with adulation. I know this is Vogue and not something more challenging - but why not make it more intellectual? Why not challenge the writers to actually engage with Rihanna on a deeper level? It just felt like the entire story could be summed up as such, "Rihanna is amazing. Rihanna is super famous. Rihanna is the biggest star in the world. Rihanna is a tough cool woman."

Autumn jus started and already seing Summer editorials?? Jesus...
Kate Upton by Meisel is a really refreshing surprise.
Still dont get how Anna likes this girl...

Autumn jus started and already seing Summer editorials?? Jesus...
Kate Upton by Meisel is a really refreshing surprise.
Still dont get how Anna likes this girl...

Right. I think she must be pretty tough and smart.

I find the sight of Kate Upton in this magazine immensely refreshing, and while the images are rather basic, there's something in that editorial that's been missing from his work for some time now - a certain connection between the model and the man behind the camera.

There is something off about the Night Moves editorial. When I saw the Karlie shots first, it seemed like a prom editorial. Blah. At least some of the other images, like the one with Kati, are a bit more sophisticated. As for Kate Upton's editorial, she is a welcome presence in the magazine. She's modern enough to not seem like a cheap 'health initiative' or 'bombshell' gimmick.

From the moment the review was posted, people have not stopped talking about Kate's editorial in every single page... for better or for worse, the discussion is focused on Kate. I'd dare to say lately she has become a new kind of contemporary American symbol, and it is obvious that Anna is taking advantage of this, and I must admit that the way she's doing this is completely brilliant. Anna has been able to see the potential on this girl beyond the bikinis and videos with Terry, and somehow has "reconceptualized" all the negative ideological structure that existed in certain sectors of the world of high fashion regarding to Kate. All her work after her first appearance in American Vogue shows exactly what I mean. Now, her starring presence on the CR Fashion Book, and this work with Meisel just finishes consolidating all this new image for which Kate has worked in recent months ... so, who knows?, maybe now it'll be more possible for her to achieve her dreams of becoming the star of a blue chip campaign and getting a Vogue cover someday. I think she looks beautiful in this editorial and I really hope that her future work will continue to improve more and more, the same way it has been doing so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rihanna's story was a fine read, but it felt a little too filled with adulation. I know this is Vogue and not something more challenging - but why not make it more intellectual? Why not challenge the writers to actually engage with Rihanna on a deeper level? It just felt like the entire story could be summed up as such, "Rihanna is amazing. Rihanna is super famous. Rihanna is the biggest star in the world. Rihanna is a tough cool woman."

Probably because they think all women are dumb.

Honestly, when you compare the quality and content of the articles in a men's fashion magazine like GQ to Vogue, it's kind of unsettling. :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->