US Vogue November 2012 : Rihanna by Annie Leibovitz

anna has stated she chooses her cover subjects whom are relevant to fashion and/or pop culture (preferably both), so if kate keeps building her momentum up i wouldnt be surprised to see her at all. im not a huge fan but ill take her over another actress anyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
i doubt anna would put kate upton on the cover any time soon or at all. she has nothing on her resume besides that si cover.

fame would not get anyone a vogue us cover. bar and irina shayk got lots of hype and fame but that didn't get them a vogue us cover. unless, kate upton scores a major movie role or a huge advertising contract then she has a small chance of landing a cover.

there's nothign special about her face, she is just an average looking girl with nice boobs. she doesnt even have a supermodel body. it's too early to talk about a cover for kate upton. she has a long shot.

^ I don't think that anyone is saying that a Kate Upton cover is imminent. Now if there is not a model cover in the next eighteen to twenty-four months, then yeah Kate moment may have come and gone by then, but if the US Vogue folks are in the mood for doing a non-Gisele or Kate Moss model cover then I think that she is the front-runner for a solo cover. I also think that blueorchid's thought about Kate being part of a "next wave of American models" with Arizona, Joan and Karlie is a brilliant angle as well.

As michelabella said it is about having and sustaining momentum and Kate has situated herself nicely between fame, fashion and pop culture. Irina and Bar got their SI covers, did their press junkets and then receded back into being sexy girl models and wags. Kate has continued to work her sexy girl bailiwick, but she has made inroads into the "serious" fashion world and forged relationships with key players. Even this editorial, an OG ed lensed by Meisel for US Vogue is a major fashion achievement.

I think that it boils down to what Anna and the Vogue staff are in the mood for promoting. It is a no-brainer to put Jennifer Lopez or Lady Gaga cover because they are superstars. It is a no-brainer to put Kristen Stewart on the cover when she has a project to promote, but there are those covers where it does seem like Anna and her staff are trying to either make favorites of theirs happen, place a bet on someone they think will be the next big thing or make a statement, those are the Blake Lively, Jessica Biel, Carey Mulligan and Olympic athlete covers. I think that is the "space" where I can see them deciding to give Kate Upton a cover.

I think that it boils down to what Anna and the Vogue staff are in the mood for promoting. It is a no-brainer to put Jennifer Lopez or Lady Gaga cover because they are superstars. It is a no-brainer to put Kristen Stewart on the cover when she has a project to promote, but there are those covers where it does seem like Anna and her staff are trying to either make favorites of theirs happen, place a bet on someone they think will be the next big thing or make a statement, those are the Blake Lively, Jessica Biel, Carey Mulligan and Olympic athlete covers. I think that is the "space" where I can see them deciding to give Kate Upton a cover.

but these are movie stars who have movies/shows under their belt already before scoring their covers. millions of people have known them. so basically, they have substance.

unlike kate upton, she doesnt have anything that anna wants as a cover girl. only girl ed in vogue us is major for a new comer, but not that major to consider for a cover.

unless kate scores something major that the public would notice otherwise a cover for her is not gonna happen. vogue us cover girl has substance, kate upton has none.

^ Millions of people know Kate Upton too. I think that it is more about celebrity and being recognized than being a movie star, it is just that there have not been too many people outside of movies and music that have that kind of recognition. Also what substance does Blake Lively have that Kate Upton does not?

Now one thing that I do think that supports your point of view is that the US Vogue folks never took an interest in Tyra Banks or Heidi Klum. Where I do think Kate has a shot is that she is in the Blake Lively mold, it can be said that both Blake and Kate are no bodies, and you would think that the likes of Eva Longoria or Julia Louis-Dreyfus would score a US Vogue cover before Blake Lively, and I don't think that either has covered US Vogue while Blake has had two regular covers and covered a special issue.

In Blake's case, and I think that the same can be said for Kate, she is an ambitious young woman who has an interest in fashion and made connections in the fashion world. So what I am seeing that is making me think that Kate may be a future US Vogue cover subject is not so much that Kate is the hot model of the moment (although I think that "hot model..." would likely be their angle), it is really that she is that ambitious girl who is famous in her own right but is also making inroads with the movers and shakers with fashion like Carine Roitfeld, Michael Kors and perhaps the US Vogue staff. She has gotten noteworthy fashion gigs like covering the inaugural issue of CR and getting this OG ed lensed by Meisel in US Vogue. She was also at the Louis Vuitton table at the amFar gala in Cannes earlier this year and hosted the GQ barbecue in Milan, which may not seem like a big deal but that is a major event attended by the top designers like the Dolce and Gabbana guys, Tom Ford and Frida Giannini. So what I am seeing is Kate Upton do some of the same things that Blake Lively and Sarah Jessica Parker have done that has resulted in them getting embraced by the "serious" fashion community.

I think it all depends on if Anna is willing to 'Vogue' Kate Upton the way she did Blake Lively. Blake was just another blond with awful taste until Anna took her under her wing. Anna is a lot shrewder than people give her credit for. It isn't always just the boring Nicole Kidman's of the world who get on the cover of Vogue. She put J.Lo on the cover years ago despite not liking her. If Kate continues to have mass appeal and success in fashion then I could see her on the cover of Vogue in a couple of years, particularly on the Shape issue. Anna has to put another model on the cover sometime and relying on the Supers like Gisele and Kate is bound to get tiresome. Yes she might put Karlie or Joan, her current favorites, on the cover but who the hell outside of fashion knows who they are or are interested in knowing anything about them? And what would they have to talk about? Karlie's cookies? Please. At least putting Kate on the cover could give rise to a thoughtful article about body issues in fashion or the difficulties of transitioning from sexy girl to HF model, so even if Kate herself doesn't have any substance there is always something to talk about with her. There is always a debate and people know who she is. And personally I think the fact that Kate had to work for her place in fashion, as opposed to being embraced almost immediately the way Karlie and Joan were, makes her a million times more interesting because it's not easy for her. She's still not accepted fully. That, for me, gives her some substance.

"Go to town" by Laurie Bartley

lg_507f1fb3-ba34-496a-b5b3-16950a0b0910.jpeg

timhowardmanagement.com

model is toni garrn. hope it's no repost!

God, I was so excited to get this on Friday, just to see the contents in person. This has to be one of US Vogue's best issues of 2012. I didn't even realise Kate Upton's edit came with an article too, so that was a complete bonus. The compliments to Grace Coddington, from Anna's letter were nice to read also.

I just realised they take 4 pictures off the Night Moves editorial compared to the digital version. I'm curious to see what they will do in the future for their digital version of magazine. Will this make the digital version more collectable?

Photo Annie Leibovitz
Editor Camilla Nickerson
Subject Rihanna
Hair Ursula Stephen
Makeup Aaron de Mey
Nails Kimmie Keyees

vogue archive

Unstoppable
Photo Annie Leibovitz
Editor Camilla Nickerson
By Jason Gay
Subject Rihanna
Hair Ursula Stephen
Makeup Aaron de Mey
Nails Kimmie Keyees

vogue archive

The New Girl
Photo Steven Meisel
Editor Tonne Goodman
Model Kate Upton
Hair Garren
Makeup Pat McGrath

vogue archive

The X Factor
Photo Peter Lindbergh
Editor Tonne Goodman
Model Raquel Zimmermann
Subjects Greg Chat, Tabitha Simmons, Jennifer Fisher, Jennifer Meyer, Giulietta, Greg Armas, Suno, Erin Beatty, Justin Salguero, Daniel Silberman, Andrea Lieberman, Wes Gordon

vogue archive

Dia's Dynamo
Photo Tina Barney
Editor Phyllis Posnick
By Dodie Kazanjian
Subject Nathalie de Gunzburg
Hair Alessandro Mangerini
Makeup Scott Andrew

vogue archive

The Marriage Plot
Photo Annie Leibovitz
Editor Phyllis Posnick
By Adam Green
Cast Judith Ivey, Jessica Chastain, Dan Stevens, David Strathairn
Hair Oribe
Makeup Linda Cantello

vogue archive

Grace Notes
Subject Grace Coddington

vogue archive

Mode of Thought
Photo Sebastian Kim
Editor Tabitha Simmons
By Esther Adams
Subject Cody Horn
Hair Renato Campora
Makeup Stevie Huynh

vogue archive

The difference between this Rihanna shoot— although not great but decent enough, and the current one is like shopping at Hermes and then shopping at WalMart.

It’s not just cheapness of the current one, but the post-production is hilariously witless; it’s as if Annie got some middle-school children to play around with PS and Anna went with the ones that looked the hottest mess.

The leading spread here alone is leagues upon leagues ahead of whatever they were attempting with the 2022 output. Then the spread of the Kors crimson dress shot only makes the 2022 shoot eat more dust.

Little Pink Houses
Photo Arthur Elgort
Editor Grace Coddington
Models Karlie Kloss, Hank Ottolia
Hair Jimmy Paul
Makeup Gucci Westman

vogue archive

Night Moves
Photo Craig McDean
Editor Alex White
Models Caroline Trentini, Kati Nescher, Daria Strokous, Karlie Kloss, Liu Wen, Arizona Muse
Hair Orlando Pita
Makeup Aaron de Mey

vogue archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->