US Vogue October 2003 : Gwyneth Paltrow by Mario Testino

Discussion in 'Vintage Magazines' started by asta, Sep 18, 2003.

1. lele

lele New Member

i always thought she was so likable.... I was surprised to read those posts. I think she is just wonderful and I too have followed her. she even admits to doing the blockbusters only periodically, she needs to make $.... she is an amazing actress, stunning, charming....and i did not read bell jar either.... :)

2. asta

asta New Member

Quote from Serena: "I don't agree that all girls in high school read Bell Jar, it's not like Great Gatsby or Mrs. Dalloway. Sylvia Plath was more of an "elite" poet & writer, so to speak. "

sylvia plath is not an elite or obscure author.

in fact, her work has been marginalized and defined as being "main stream" because so many people read it... and find it easier than most works.

virginia woolf was definately of an ilk that considered themselves and was considered by others to be elitist.

virginia's work is much more complex than sylvia's. many themes overlap in their novels/poetry. but woolf, as a modernist, wrote for an elite circle. modernism is not a movement that is for the general public to understand. they wanted to be different and abstract. they wanted their works to baffle and to be approachable to only a few. she invented her own style of literature and wrote from a post war perspective, as well as, from a persepctive of a female that was perscribed as being crazy, when she was anything but. she made her novels hard to navigate and twisted on purpose. mrs. dalloway is not high school reading material if you want to get much from it.

3. Serena

Serena New Member

well, i was not an Literature major, so i can't argue about or analyze deeply any of these authors' work. i perceive Sylvia Plath as more "elite" not because she's more complex or obscure than Wolf or Fitzegerald, but because she's known to many people as a poet, (not a novelist) who commited suicide at a young age & just this notion creates a certain aura of mystery around her persona & her work. "elite' does not have to be obscure. My personal feeling is that poetry, modern poetry in particular, in America has this so-called "elite" status. None of my teachers or professors in high school or college ever suggested or mentioned Plath, but Wolf, Parker, Fitzegerald & such were mentioned & critiqued on many occasions.

in any case, i never read Bell Jar, but i will now! :) :flower:

4. jessica v.

jessica v. New Member

5. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

Pictures from the editorial shot by Testino. :arrow:

6. nogoodforme

nogoodforme New Member

i actually think the only picture that knocks me out is the b&w one with the dress and she's walking away, looking at the camera over her shoulder. the rest i can take or leave.

the bell jar is not a difficult read, but plath's poetry is really where her brilliance lies. ironic that it won't even be quoted in the film. i personally think the film is misguided; what's more interesting to me about sylvia plath is less her misbegotten marriage than her struggle to achieve her art while at the same time trying to live up to the demands of being a woman in the 1950s. if you read her journals, you realize that she spends a LOT of time thinking and struggling through this.

as far as film biopics, i'll be watching cate blanchett in VERONICA GUERIN instead - now, *there* is an amazing actress at work!

xoxox kat

7. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

she looks like a model in the editorials!

8. Serena

Serena New Member

i got my issue yesterday & was a bit dissapointed by Gwyneth's edits. thes clothes are not really her, IMo. seemed too dowdy to me. the ones that i liked were black & white and a 2-page spread on the bed.

9. littlered

littlered New Member

Ah Gwyneth...always sharing your wisdom with all of use mere mortals....

Actually, the article was just a bunch of the same old crap. I do have sympathy for the loss of her father - they were very close. To have you dad die AND have him die on your birthday, well - that is very sad.

Everything else however is a load of crap...I'm sick of hearing about how she doesn't use a stylist and then state that designers let her choose from their racks of clothing. Well, it sounds like she has A LOT of stylists, she just doesn't PAY any of them. It's not hard to pick from a rack of clothes full of runway looks. Granted she chooses nice offerings but COME ON...enough of the "I don't use a stylist" baloney. She's primo advertising space.

The whole bit about Sylvia Plath was a real showcase of her lack of higher education. She needs to just make pretty little movies and keep her trap shut about the literary side of things.

10. asta

asta New Member

this is soooooo funny.

i love that gp's higher education consists of a semester at uc santa barbara... is that the best her parents could do?????

you may not need an education to be intelligent... but i am not sure why people find her smart... she has shown me nothing of the sort. maybe it is because she has the "smart" bodytype: the long, lean, and boyish annie hall look.

:evil: :stuart: :bounce: :dizzy:

11. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

I think she's very cultured, which is a quality a few "educated" people lack. I don't necessarily think she is brillant but she's not mindless either. B)