US Vogue October 2017 : Rooney Mara by Annie Leibovitz

HIllary should have, among other things, gotten the cover!

Looks like they didn't have any good cover options and had to make do with what they had.

Looks like they didn't have any good cover options and had to make do with what they had.

Which is rather weird no? Remember when Nicole Kidman was photographed by Demarchelier for the cover, but by Lindbergh for the editorial? So it means they have time to do reshoots for covers. So if Leibovitz didn't have the perfect cover shot, Testino or someone else could've filled up the gap easily.

So now, I wonder, what might've happened? The main cover must have been pulled at the very last minute for this to end up as the cover. Seeing the full photograph screams last minute in all honesty.

Which is rather weird no? Remember when Nicole Kidman was photographed by Demarchelier for the cover, but by Lindbergh for the editorial? So it means they have time to do reshoots for covers. So if Leibovitz didn't have the perfect cover shot, Testino or someone else could've filled up the gap easily.

So now, I wonder, what might've happened? The main cover must have been pulled at the very last minute for this to end up as the cover. Seeing the full photograph screams last minute in all honesty.

I don't think Annie's ego would allow for that type of switcharoo tho.

Indeed, what happened? It feels like even UK Bazaar wouldn't have put that shot on the cover, and God knows it would have all the ingredients.

Yet the more I look at it, the more I like it...

Very odd and weak cover, it seems to be an outtake indeed and the editorial is a snooze fest. NEXT!

Jesus, sack Annie already. I thought most US vogue covers are good this year, and then she keeps bringing the magazine down.

Maybe they planned on giving Hillary the cover, everything about this shoot does seem very last minute. The styling, weird photography etc.

Maybe they planned on giving Hillary the cover, everything about this shoot does seem very last minute. The styling, weird photography etc.

Or maybe she pulled out last minute? The tagline used "Hillary Clinton Tells Her Story" is very tagline-worthy for a cover!

However, my issue with this is that, even if it's last minute.. they couldn't even bother calling up Annie and ask for a photograph with Rooney looking straight to the camera? Or no other shot was better than this? Come on!

Meanwhile, here's the editor's letter -- Anna Wintour’s October Editor’s Letter: Hillary’s Memoir and the Significance Behind the Issue

There's no doubt in my mind that Anna is still gearing to give her a cover.

Everytime Annie "Please no more magic wand!" Leibovitz shoots a Vogue cover, a puppy dies, It's a well known fact. In all honesty the edit almost has one decent shot, the chair one, but the rest of the edit is more of the same gloomy, overphotoshopped mess she's gotten rich out of doing. If the cover was a little bit better I would be compelled to congratulate Anna for trying new things on the cover, but this time it's clear as water that she didn't have any other options to choose from. That shot is just...the vacant stare, the way the background overwhelms Rooney, makes it patently clear this was never meant to be a cover.

I find Rooney's status as an A-list actress to be entirely perplexing. It's like the thing she has going for her is an absolute lack of charisma. She's so enigmatic and quiet in her approach to performing (in films and also the performance of being a 'Movie Star') that I feel I've never seen even a glimpse of who she is, as an artist. Who IS Rooney Mara?

This cover and editorial further perpetuates this distance as she doesn't lock eyes with the lens a single time.

I will say, I'm curious to read the accompanying story. Perhaps it will reveal some indication of personality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care what upcoming movie she's promoting. We did not need another Rooney Mara cover--much less one that's this uninspired.

Why Rooney again? They ought to have her sister sometime. Another lousy cover for them.

They had all the right ingredients: a gorgeous location, a stunning dress and Rooney who normally looks great in photographs yet it went wrong. How??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->