US Vogue October 2020 : Lizzo by Hype Williams

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by jorgepalomo, Sep 24, 2020.

1. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Why put Hype Williams and not Ethan? Is it because the first is black and Tyler was not available?

2. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

1. Lizzo looks horrible here.
    2. Styling is atrocious.
    3. Editorial is hideous, cannot sink lower, zero effort.
    4. Lizzo is a good choice to justify SJW support and all that black woman of size with her "i'm so great all of my juice lalalala" schtick, but to me she hasn't achieved the status that stellar to be on Vogue US as of now.
    5. Cover lines are cringe.
    6. I cannot care less about some music video director for Nickis, Missys, Snoops and Babyfaces of the world shooting the cover, for me to appreciate it, it would have to be damn Martin Scorcese himself or reanimated back to life Alfred Hitchcock to care enough.

So, all in all, I can see all the snowflakes and those who scream for diversity being everywhere right here and right now this being a massive win. For those, who value fashion for its artistry, craft, creativity, idea, passion, conceptual advances and social commentary via visuals - this is a disaster (so, for me it is a massive failure).

daoudmac, Lalippity, gazebo and 9 others like this.
  3. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

I guess after the controversy about Simone Biles’s covers, they will only hire black photographer to shoot black stars now.

4. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

was soooo excited opening this thread but wtf is that... she deserved to be shot by an actual photographer!!!

Urban Stylin likes this.
  5. dontbeadrag

Of course, it is completely normal for a black photographer to shoot black people nearly all the time like Tyler Mitchell does and now to apply the same practice for Vogue US to have POC photographed by POC, because when a white photographer mainly shoots white subjects it is racist. And, surely, as the majority knows by now, racism only applies to white people. :innocent:

daoudmac, Lalippity, Lausanne and 7 others like this.
  6. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

It's hard to believe that could be the cover. If it is, Anna has left the building, and we're all the last to know.

7. Krystalblue006

Championing artistry, conceptual advances, & social commentary, but commenting on how a subject doesnt deserve to be on a cover :glare: and calling everyone happy about a large POC being on the cover as “snowflakes”. Apparently making diversity a norm is not a part of a social commentary. They didnt even push a “gorgeous in any size or color” tagline here, just Lizzo

8. BlueRuin

BlueRuin Active Member

Model mayhem

fluxxx likes this.
  9. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

Hype Williams! Lol! Vogue is DEAD.
    Lizzo is cool, but nah....this aint it.
    The cover is the only thing that sort of works, and that's only because the editorial is so terrible.
    I miss the really great stars who used to cover this magazine. Beautiful women of accomplishment, with the receipts.
    The iconic beauty of supermodels. I miss the FACES. I miss the great fashion photographers, not 90's music video directors.
    Woke Anna needs to go, but her replacement will probably be worse, tbh.

10. Mercredi

Mercredi Member

again it's really disturbing to see that zero effort has been made to make this cover. From the cheap looking dress to the photography everything is wrong here.

SophiaVB and phungnam96 like this.
  11. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Active Member

Yikes. I really thought these were bts shots. Vogue really did her wrong. She stuns in couture for Time and in her cover story by david lachapelle for Rolling Stones. The couture here looks tacky

#31 gunsnroses, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  12. marimy7

marimy7 New Member

I don't like

13. Mihail Mihailov

Mihail Mihailov Active Member

this old bag need to go away from VOGUE,so so ugly cover, style, photographer and etc. just go away......... the ugliest ever, Diana Vreeland i miss you!

14. dontbeadrag

Yes, because advocating for diversity does not mean not having any standards, and we all know why everyone suddenly does diversity in the way how they do.
    To make it clearer: to make diversity the norm, you DO NOT make a POC person shoot a large POC person and shove it in regardless of any artistic value. TO make diversity the norm, you push a concept, an idea, like Franca and Meisel did, and I am sure you are aware of their Black Issue or Sogno di Donna editorial with large women.
    In order for diversity to work without irritating people like me, who appreciate artistry, creativity and vision before diversity or non-diversity (I don't care much about the colour or size UNLESS they shove it in my face blatantly), it has to be a creative, smart concept, a story, a narrative that is told skilfully and elegantly ALSO using people of any size, gender, age or colour. However, their size, colour and etc. must never be the primary reason they are featured.

Naomi Campbell is put on covers and editorials not because she is black, but nowadays because she is an icon. So is Liya Kebede. Michelle Obama was on the cover, because she is also an icon. Lupita Nyong'o was on the cover, because she became an iconic actress. This cover? Not the case. I am not even mentioning the absence of any concept.

I also find it amusing that nobody ever complains about nearly total absence of Asian models on any Vogues except China, Japan, Hong Kong and India. I find it quite hypocritical since there way more than two races, but in 99% cases, and on this forum too, people think of diversity as of putting a black person somewhere and it is done, let's just forget about all other races.

15. Miran

Miran Member

A lot of people on this forum can shoot better cover than this.

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  16. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

Lizzo got cheated here for sure. Her energy and charisma is just lost on such a flat execution. Either way, lovely to see her land the cover all the same, but it's flat as hell.

Mercury6181 and dfl-001 like this.
  17. Krystalblue006

Lmao I also don’t like the end result as I said in page 1. But your first original post is all about “stop pushing diversity down our throat” when thats not the case here. They put Lizzo because, she’s Lizzo, a musician. Theres literally nothing mentioning her size or race. Just her name. I for one don’t like the styling, choice of photographer, and the general end results, but I’d rather have this than “special themed” issues regarding race or diversity. Well to each their own, I guess

18. dontbeadrag

Yes, and I still stand by it. As I said, for me, in MY opinion, Lizzo is yet not a person accomplished and iconic enough to be on the Vogue US cover, Vogue UK was suitable, yes. And let's not pretend like only writing "Look, we have a large black person on a cover!" makes it read as such, there are lots of connotations here that make it to be read in this way. Or am I so mistaken and empty-headed that large POC showing lots of skin on cover of Vogue USA, where we usually see very little skin unless it is Gisele Bundchen, shot by POC, who has NEVER shot a cover for Vogue US before, is a coincidence?
    We do not need to have a themed issue. Check out Lupita by Mert & Marcus, that is how you elegantly shoot a POC for a cover and make it look chic.

avonlea002 likes this.
  19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I think Lizzo on US Vogue is fitting and well-deserved, and though I knew she'd get a cover this came sooner than I thought. For me, the fit is natural without looking as if they're pandering. This is the same magazine who cover top pop stars; and fuller figure women like Adele, Ashley Graham and Amy Schumer.
    I don't like the sleepwear-looking dress on the cover (the first beige one would be better) and Carlos' styling overall is pretty weak for his (first!?!) US Vogue cover.

Reading Lizzo AND Hype Williams made me so excited, I expected something as grand and campy as La Chapelle's work. Strange to see P Diddy's name used to reference Hype's work because imo his best was for Busta Rhymes. The level of creativity, colours, etc was just on a level never to be matched! Not back then, and not today.
    And that's why the cover shoot is so disappointing to me. It's not necessarily bad and on paper, to the contrary it's a strong flex for Vogue (though I'm sure Lizzo pulled suggested him), but it's just so painfully generic. The editorial looks like a bunch of backstage shots. Still, very happy to see Hype Williams shoot a Vogue cover.

20. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

She's a very stunning woman who never takes a bad photo and has tons of personality too bad this just looks very amateur. Maybe they should have let a proper fashion photographer shoot it and give us a more iconic cover and editorial. The only decent shot was the close up and the picture of her standing with her hand on the waist. These literally look like outtakes! Also that dress on the cover needed more volume and maybe movement on the bottom.

slayage, Krystalblue006 and Benn98 like this.